Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Will Pre have intelligent caching of "the cloud" so that I can view/edit calendars, contacts when out of cell/wireless coverage or on a plane?
    Like the commercials, my house is in a "dead zone"

Also, with no stylus, where will I keep my pen(-stylus)? I love that I always have a pen handy with my smartphone. I always lose stand-alone pens..
    Last edited by Zath; 01/13/2009 at 07:40 PM.
    May have been asked, Does the sliding open the device answer the phone? and Conversely does closing it hangup the phone?

thanks for the great thread
  3.    #183  
    Here's another Surprise:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/fo...play.php?f=212
    A dedicated forum for WebOS
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Hoof -- been crazy busy. Hopefully will have it up with a nice surprise by morning!
    Awesome! Never have I been more proud for being a 'vampire'. Mwhahaha, I'll be stalking this site through out the night into the early morning
    man, the suspense is killing me. I'm just waiting for any bits of information I can get. I'm really hoping for some pleasant surprises.
    1) How does phone call quality compare with other treo models?
    2) Is call volume sufficient (I remember the bad old days where a 3rd party app was needed to make the Treo 650 sufficiently loud).
    3) In the video demo by Peter (Skillman?) there were some long lags when switching between apps. This is one of the things I hate about my Treo 750. Please can you test this out and see if this is a problem? In particular, does the OS leak memory like Windows Mobile, meaning that eventually you have to take the battery out to clean up and get reasonable responsiveness back.
    4) Is there any built in emulator that will allow us to continue to run old PalmOS apps (like apple did when migrating from OS9 to OS-X)?
    5) Is it able to create dial tones from the keyboard accurately (e.g. for voicemail and other automated systems)? The 750 was terribly unreliable in this respect?
    6) How easy is it use other applications while in the middle of a phone call? E.g. can you easily get into the contacts whilst in the middle of a call?
    7) Is there any support in the phone application for using international calling cards? (e.g. Allow you to define a local access number to dial first before making an international call, then after successful connection (and potentially some pauses, and pin numbers), dial the phone number assigned to the international contact). I suggested this feature to Peter Skillman about 5 years ago, but I have never seen it implemented.

P.S. I would have loved it if the Pre opening mechanism was spring-loaded like that Nokia 8810 cell phone from The Matrix - how cool would that be!
    Any talks regarding software compatibility with Vista 64? The current Palm software doesn't support it. With more and more desktops having more than 3gb or RAM, Vista 64 should be a no-brainer; but I'm always suprised when buying a new Tech product that doesn't support it.

Thanks,
    Micah
    Quote Originally Posted by jcphcf73 View Post
    Any talks regarding software compatibility with Vista 64? The current Palm software doesn't support it. With more and more desktops having more than 3gb or RAM, Vista 64 should be a no-brainer; but I'm always suprised when buying a new Tech product that doesn't support it.

Thanks,
    Micah
    The only interaction is as a USB drive, so no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    1) How does phone call quality compare with other treo models?

What?!!! This thing is a phone too?!!! You sure wouldn't know it from any of the demos or write-ups I've seen about it so far, with the exception being an occasional look at the keypad. I've never seen any comment about call quality, which made me suspect that they never demonstrated any use of the phone for calls. We have to remember that this is not the final product. They don't have Flash yet. May or may not have video recording at launch. Obviously they have the basic phone features implemented already, so I guess it was just that nobody ever got past all of the other features with their time allotted, in order to get around to commenting on call quality.
  10.    #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcojoe View Post
    What?!!! This thing is a phone too?!!! You sure wouldn't know it from any of the demos or write-ups I've seen about it so far, with the exception being an occasional look at the keypad. I've never seen any comment about call quality, which made me suspect that they never demonstrated any use of the phone for calls. We have to remember that this is not the final product. They don't have Flash yet. May or may not have video recording at launch. Obviously they have the basic phone features implemented already, so I guess it was just that nobody ever got past all of the other features with their time allotted, in order to get around to commenting on call quality.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again;
    For some reason, when these guys talk about smartphones, they spend all their time talking about everything the device is as a pda and very little about the phone as a phone.
    And so, typically, we get a so-so phone.

I have to say that for the Treo Pro, they up'd their game - it's an awesome phone!

Let's hope the Pre is an amazing phone with amazing reception and amazing call clarity.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Let's hope the Pre is an amazing phone with amazing reception and amazing call clarity.
    I'll drink to that. Though my Treo isn't the worst "phone" I've had, it could be greatly improved. Signal fades, volume seems to change, speakerphone (and even ear piece) crackle too much... But I wouldn't trade it away at the moment.
  12.    #192  
    Just call me Berd.
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-y...tions-answered

Working my way through all the questions -- I think I'm about halfway.
    Dieter, great job! Thanks for plugging through this huge list.

Here's another one:
    Lotus Notes is popular in the corporate environment. Is there any indication of how the Pre can access Lotus Notes email, contacts, calendar, to-do, and corporate email listing? Lotus Notes also has it's own IM client called Sametime. Will there be any Palm or third party support for any of this?
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
    I'm gonna sound like a real noob here, but since I'm still using the 650, I guess I really am . Anyway, my questions are:

1. For messaging, are you given options to reply and/or forward a message?
    2. What is this "cloud?" How do I go about syncing information to it? And, will it require a data plan? I'm from overseas so I don't know anything about US carriers and their rates. We only have GSM here.
    3. Are there any indicator lights, like say when you have a signal as opposed to no? Also for charging?
    4. How likely is it that the GSM version will be quad-band?
    5. Is there native support for MP3 alert tones?
    6. Is there native voice recording and voice command?

That's all I have, thanks and great job!!!
    Okay, this is specialized, but maybe you have some inside connections. ;-)

There's a service for hard-of-hearing folks, where we can speak and listen to the phone, and an operator processes the other person's voice so we can read it over the web. (uses specialized voice recognition software) It's called WebCapTel. Sprint is one of the providers. (http://www.sprintcaptel.com) So far this is mostly used over the regular internet. Users of the iPhone 3G are now able to use this service with a headset jack. They can talk/listen on the phone, and read the captions.

The requirements I've seen include having an AJAX compatible browser, and of course you need to be able to use voice and data at the same time.

Will the Pre be able to do this?
    My question with all this merging of info and intuitiveness. I use Agendus and like how it links my appointments with my contacts so I can see all the appointments, calls, tasks and what not that I've had for a specific contact. Will there be that kind of synergy in the Pre PIM? For a sales rep, it can be an invaluable tool.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    My questions relate to connectivity to Lotus Notes. Has there been any talk re the Pre being compaitable to Lotus Notes/Domino server?
    I use Lotus Notes for work and have an Apple computer at home and would love to be able to view calendar/contacts/mail/task on both Lotus Notes and Entourage applications, without conflicts arising between the two.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    Thanks for the answers so far!
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    So you're Dieter. Glad I found this place. My last Palm was a Pilot. I signed up for a shell account with Sprint tonight.

Is the Pre phone virtual keypad card live too? With my 2 weeks with the original iPhone the virtual phone keypad was far too big to use one handed. The Pre is smaller, but when reduced to card size the phone keypad might be even better for dialing one handed. Does it work?

Oh I guess the first touch would make it expand to full screen, or does the button do that?

Oh geez sorry nevermind. The button minimizes it to cards and a tap on a card brings that app back to full screen. Just a random thought not well thought out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by galavanter; 01/15/2009 at 11:52 PM.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast