Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Today, I stopped by the Sprint store for two reasons: 1) To try to get my gf's shredded earbuds replaced & 2) To talk to a rep about the upcoming [EDITED OUT: Treo] Pre.

They were kind enough to look into and accommodate the former, but had no clue about the latter. "Are you sure you don't mean the Treo PRO??" Heh.

The Sprint associates were gathered around a computer going to the site I recommended (TreoCentral.com, of course) to verify that I wasn't shull of fit. Then they emerged with smiles on their faces and Pre print-outs in their hands.

I can understand the delay in posting Pre info on the Palm and Sprint websites, if they wanted to keep things hush-hush, so I guess I understand why they'd keep the employees out of the loop, too... but dang. It's kinda funny that this is at LEAST the second time that I've gone into that store and told them about devices they were going to carry.

So, if you wanna have some fun (b/c it's a good excuse to gush on and on about the Pre), go drop some knowledge at your local Sprint store. Or not. Just thought it was kinda funny.
    Last edited by west3man; 01/09/2009 at 08:25 AM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I had a similar experience actually. A few days ago I had the pleasure of experiencing the famous Palm headset adapter fail which made the phone not work at all for calls anymore, so I stopped by the Sprint store on the way home from work. I'm now on my 3rd free Treo755, and the employees there had no idea what the Pre was.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    I had a similar experience actually. A few days ago I had the pleasure of experiencing the famous Palm headset adapter fail which made the phone not work at all for calls anymore, so I stopped by the Sprint store on the way home from work. I'm now on my 3rd free Treo755, and the employees there had no idea what the Pre was.
    Were they adamant that you were mistaken about it or were they open to the news?
    The employee in that store are almost always indifferent when I talk to them about smartphones. They get this glazed look in their eyes if I start going into details and just say "oh, I don't really know anything about those blueberry things."
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    The employee in that store are almost always indifferent when I talk to them about smartphones. They get this glazed look in their eyes if I start going into details and just say "oh, I don't really know anything about those blueberry things."
    That is both hilarious and blasphemous, at the same time.
    Look if someone like me worked at a Sprint store and you happened to talk to me, then you wouldn't make this post.
    Some people are into tech/gadget-type things and others are not. I'm the type who keeps up to date with anything tech-related, it's like an obsession.

To some folks, it's just a job that pays the bill so they don't get all crazy about it. There's no expectation for that employee to know anymore than has been handed to them via weekly meetings/memos and such, so i personally never expect Sprint retail employees to be bastions of new device info. They almost never are unless you meet that one diamond in the rough who eats and breaths gadgets.

For example i work at a place (i'm not gonna say) that regularly gets bashed a lot on the Consumerist for their dumb employees who don't really know much about what they sell. I always think to myself that if it had been me that those customers met then they would never have such an impression.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    It's an understandable mistake, because it's NOT a Treo Pre. It's a Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    On that topic: am I the only one who prefers 'Nova' to 'Pre'?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Look if someone like me worked at a Sprint store and you happened to talk to me, then you wouldn't make this post.
    Some people are into tech/gadget-type things and others are not. I'm the type who keeps up to date with anything tech-related, it's like an obsession.

To some folks, it's just a job that pays the bill so they don't get all crazy about it. There's no expectation for that employee to know anymore than has been handed to them via weekly meetings/memos and such, so i personally never expect Sprint retail employees to be bastions of new device info. They almost never are unless you meet that one diamond in the rough who eats and breaths gadgets.

For example i work at a place (i'm not gonna say) that regularly gets bashed a lot on the Consumerist for their dumb employees who don't really know much about what they sell. I always think to myself that if it had been me that those customers met then they would never have such an impression.
    This wasn't a case of my judging the employees. It's just funny when Dude Ondastreet repeatedly informs Sprint Reps about their own products. In this case, it was largely due to Palm and Sprint trying to keep a lid on things. That's understandable.

Other times, though, you're right that I've called about stuff that's been public knowledge (or at least publicly accessible for a while) yet Sprint folks are ignorant of it for other reasons. I guess that's only a real bother when the people who need to know ... just don't. Like their repair or sales personnel.

Yesterday, though, it was an hour after the CES announcement, so I was more amused than annoyed. After all, even a Sprint tech junkie who was there that day would've been more likely to be working than to be hovering over a computer for an hour, watching second-by-second coverage.
  10.    #10  
    Where did I say otherwise?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenithNadir View Post
    On that topic: am I the only one who prefers 'Nova' to 'Pre'?
    While we're in the land o' nitpicky, I'll mention the following:

Nova is to WebOS as Treo is to Pre.

But I agree that "Nova" is hella betta than "WebOS" or "webOS" and "Treo" is certainly better than "Pre."

I'd even have preferred "Preo" to "Pre." Probably sounds a lil too much like "Pro," though.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Where did I say otherwise?
    First paragraph of your original post
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    First paragraph of your original post
    I searched for the word "Treo" on the first page and my original post only has it twice: once in "Treo Pro" and once in "TreoCentral.com."

I never called the new device a Treo Pre.

Also, the "Treo Pro" comment was from the Sprint employee who doubted that I knew what I was talking about.

I didn't call it a Treo Pre, but thanks for clarifying what the other poster meant.
    Today, I stopped by the Sprint store for two reasons: 1) To try to get my gf's shredded earbuds replaced & 2) To talk to a rep about the upcoming Treo Pre.
    I searched for the word "Treo" on the first page and my original post only has it twice: once in "Treo Pro" and once in "TreoCentral.com."

I never called the new device a Treo Pre.

Also, the "Treo Pro" comment was from the Sprint employee who doubted that I knew what I was talking about.

I didn't call it a Treo Pre, but thanks for clarifying what the other poster meant.
    Makes no difference to me really. I had read right through it and didn't pay it any attention till OP said something.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  16.    #16  
    I can't call that anything but user error since I doubt the search function misfired. So that was my mistake.

What I did not do, though, was call the device a Treo Pre in the store. (Since I made the above error, I'd understand if you didn't believe me.) But it wouldn't have mattered if I had. They knew nothing of the Palm Pre, as I explained in the rest of my post.

At any rate, thanks for helping to clear that up. I'll make the edit, now, to avoid further confusion.
    While we're in the land o' nitpicky, I'll mention the following:

Nova is to WebOS as Treo is to Pre.
    Adding legalistic to nitpicky: apparently webOS is already in use as a name?

http://www.stonewarewebos.com/webos/products/webOS.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenithNadir View Post
    Adding legalistic to nitpicky: apparently webOS is already in use as a name?

http://www.stonewarewebos.com/webos/products/webOS.html
    I don't see a ©, ® or ™ attached to the webOS name anywhere on that website whereas Palm's website does show webOS™. Looks like Stoneware will need to stop using the name.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    I fired up a web chat session with a Sprint rep immediately after Dan Hesse said you could preregister for a Palm Pre on Sprint's website. "Wendy" (probably a Pakistani or Indian sitting in a call center) told me she knew nothing about anything called a Palm Pre. She kept asking me if I meant the Treo Pro, too. I sent an email to dan@sprint.com asking to be placed on the preregistartion list. Within 30 minutes I found links to the Palm Pre on both Palm and Sprint's websites here on TC and preregistered there.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    I don't see a ©, ® or ™ attached to the webOS name anywhere on that website whereas Palm's website does show webOS™. Looks like Stoneware will need to stop using the name.

Martin
    And I was just about to say, "Remember that, when Apple announced their then-new phone, there was another company out there that claimed to own the moniker."

But now Apple's THE iPhone'r of the world.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast