Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2318-1.htm

Yeah, we have a lot of links, but I figure it's important that RSS users know that there is new content rather than just update articles.

Check out the video, yo!

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2318-1.htm
    wow... that was awesome!
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    thanks for all this thorough coverage, dieter! the pre is everything i had hoped for. can't wait to get one in my hot little palms!
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Thanks for that hands-on video Dieter! That's the 2nd time today I've seen someone in a hands-on ask Palm about flash and YouTube. Over at Gizmodo, the Palm rep clicked on YouTube and clicked on a video but an error popped up, so it wouldn't play it. I was wondering why the Palm rep you were talking to mentioned that he didn't know what might happen if you had a lot of YouTube videos playing in different windows/cards. (or something like that?) And then right after that, they said that flash wasn't supported "yet". Hopefully it will be!
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I cant sleep!! Can they release this phone tomorrow? lol I'm so excited!
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    I just caught something. All apps being signed, going through their app store for quality control? Interesting.

Unless they're doing it the way J2ME apps work on many phones, where you're prompted that unsigned apps won't be supported, and any damage they cause won't be covered, but you're still good to go...
    Nice Video! Too bad you didnt/couldnt open the battery compartment to peak at the battery size and see if any microSD slots were hiding back there!

All apps need to be signed....geesh! How long will that process take? I guess that eliminates most 3rd party software that circumvents Sprint's own stuff (bye bye PDANet, TomTom)!
    If it's not like Sprint's J2ME phones, where unsigned apps throw a message saying that Sprint's not responsible for any damage, but are still allowed to install, then this will suck. So much for it being open, so long Palm, hello WinMo. (The irony of going to WinMo for an open phone is not lost on me at all. ) I don't like jailbreaking.

If it is, then oh well, it just means that that's what comes through the app store, and I'll have to click through an alert to install third-party unapproved stuff.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    send it!!!
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i love the rounded riverstone shape. kinda makes me think of a bar of soap - smooth & made to fit in your hand. the curved shape when open is a nice elegant touch. one thing i liked about my treo 300 was how it curved around my head & put the mic closer to my voice.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    I haven't touch a palm device since my Treo 650, and I must say, it looks like I will be back. This device is absolutely amazing. Hope to get my hands on it the day it arrives.
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    great video. it gives me a good idea about the gadget. i can imagine acquiring such a device for my collection but for that i will have to wait a bit in germany i guess.

very iphonish: great touch navigation, locked, no flash yet,
    with treo properties: take-outable battery, keypad, ringer switch etc
    and a completely new os concept: web

exciting
    WHy no question on backward compatibility? (or will it be taken care of by a 3rd party developer?)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg_P1OS21 View Post
    WHy no question on backward compatibility? (or will it be taken care of by a 3rd party developer?)
    It has been established that it will not be provided, but "it could be possible with 3rd party work."
    I just hope Sprint doesn't force some mandatory service plan on this phone. I have a dirt cheap 3rd party plan that i am not giving up for anything. I'd gladly pay full price (and maybe take Hesse out for a drink) if need be...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Thanks Dieter for the coverage! The video was very informative and I can't wait until we get a GSM version. For now I can read about it and keep hope alive that before the fall we will have either an unlocked version or one on ATT. IMHO Palm is back in the game folks....
    "To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail."
    ~Michael Jordan

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    ~Author-Sir Colin Spedding

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. ~John Kenneth Galbraith, Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went"

Finally upgraded and dual-booting HP TouchPad running CM9. Look out world, here I come, ready or not! Now rocking the cancelled AT&T Pre3 no thanks to HP!
    Not crazy about the comment regarding needing to have apps signed, but I'll take a wait and see attitude on that until we hear more details.

The device looks very nice, and I think I like that it has a keyboard, though the screen is smaller (as compared to an iPhone) as a result, so video playback won't be as impressive and touch usability may be hampered.

I'm currently in the process of updating my development skills with the .NET tools, so it's a shame that while I like .NET for developing, the WM experience doesn't really excite me. Hopefully the next version of WM will be sooner rather than later and will be a significant overhaul of the user experience. I was probably going to go with a WM Treo Pro on Sprint (love my SERO plan), so that I could play around with .NET, but this device is calling me.

So Dieter, you didn't ask about release date or price? I imagine they wouldn't have told you anything more than they already said, so it probably doesn't matter. They seemed to indicate release "soon" but the official word of "1st half of 2009" doesn't line up with that. If it was really "soon" they would have said "1st quarter". So I suspect we still have several months to wait.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Very good job Dieter.
    Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    The cards really remind me of the Xperia. And they are LIVE?! MAN! This phone looks so damn good. I like the "flick" of your finger in order to go back.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    The device looks very nice, and I think I like that it has a keyboard, though the screen is smaller (as compared to an iPhone) as a result, so video playback won't be as impressive and touch usability may be hampered.
    yeah, it would be nice to have an iphone-sized screen for video, but keep in mind that since there is no virtual kb taking up screen space, things like email & sms (anything requiring text input) on the pre will have the entire screen available. that part, i like.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast