Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb131 View Post
    Pre is to an irrelevant Palm what IPOD was to an irrelevant Apple.

Brief, simplistic history of silicon valley...

Steve Jobs and co come up with a revolutionary GUI concept...
    Bill Gates betrays Jobs and pushes Apple to the brink of death....
    Jobs and Rubinstein revolutionize the PMP and become more powerful than Microsoft.
    Apple perfects the smartphone that Palm revolutionized and Palm is put on its deathbed.
    Now Rubinstein does to Apple what Jobs did to Palm.
    Simplistic and innacurate. Jobs didn't come up with the GUI concept, Xerox did, and Jobs stole the idea from them. (google "Xerox PARC" if you missed this bit of history). Then Jobs put it in the Lisa, which drove Apple to the brink of bankruptcy (one of several times, btw).

Gates didn't betray Apple, he saved them. Apple was dying because they offered an over-priced, under-performing, closed environment, trying to compete with the WinTel duopoly of cheap Windows PCs. When they were on death's door again, he invested something like $150 million in Apple, and guaranteed to keep making Office for the Apple. Absent both those things, Apple would be part of computing's past, rather than it's present.

And Jobs didn't invent the PMP, either. It was invented by Tony Fadell, who took the concept to Apple only after RealNetworks and Philips turned him down: History of the iPod (You won't see this part of the iPod;s history on any of the apple fanboy web sites.) I will give jobs credit for seeing the potential, convincing the record company's of that potential, and successfully commercializing it.

And thinking that Rubenstien will drive Apple to near death is dreaming.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Hard Keyboard, Soft curves, sharp UI (and keyboard edge), but dull battery life!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    The palm pre is good news and bad news.
    It's an iPhone for people who won't buy an iPhone because it doesn't have true multi-tasking.
    What's with the ancient threads resurrected daily?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    What's with the ancient threads resurrected daily?
    because he didn't want to create another one and have people blast him for creating another one?
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb131 View Post
    Pre is to an irrelevant Palm what IPOD was to an irrelevant Apple.

Brief, simplistic history of silicon valley...

Steve Jobs and co come up with a revolutionary GUI concept...
    Bill Gates betrays Jobs and pushes Apple to the brink of death....
    Jobs and Rubinstein revolutionize the PMP and become more powerful than Microsoft.
    Apple perfects the smartphone that Palm revolutionized and Palm is put on its deathbed.
    Now Rubinstein does to Apple what Jobs did to Palm.

I

Except not.

Microsoft bought the "window" (GUI) interface from Xerox. Jobs was (is) a poser.

Although Apple was "at the brink of death" I think it had more to do with their terribly inferior OS9 and crap products than it did with Microsoft owning the market.

Having a popular PMP device does not mean "apple is more powerful than microsoft." Apple has better market share than MS in 1 category out of thousands (maybe tens of thousands)
    Almost there.
    One word "Awesome!"
    This phone is nothing like anything you've ever used.
    Cpell Shecker for the win!
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I cee what you did there!
    LOL. you guys are killing me! I read the thread title and jumped in with all sorts of ideas but I can't top these.
    almost perfect
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    A Battery hog <slap> just kidding, I Love my Pre.
    My son calls it "an iPhone on steroids"

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Both have trackball at the bottom
    The Pre has a trackball?????
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123