Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Last paragraph here:
    http://tinyurl.com/9v9mgp

Also confirms native Palm apps wont run on it.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    They've since updated that story. Read it again.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    From the article...

t does have the technical capability to be used as a tethered modem for a laptop. (The original story suggested it couldn't based on comments from Sprint that the feature wouldn't be made available).

It is Linux-based, though that is invisible for most developers as the tools to write applications are JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. It won't natively run applications written for the original Palm OS, but Maes said "we anticipate there will be solutions to do so."
    The capabilities are there, just not the implementations. Sounds like at least some developers will get access to the lower level systems for more powerful applications. Bonus irony points: maybe Access will port their Garnet VM? http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/

I doubt Palm will be allowing tethering (either natively or via third-party apps) on Sprint's version, at least. Maybe a premium-priced, unlocked UMTS model?
  4.    #4  
    The capabilities are there, just not the implementations. Sounds like at least some developers will get access to the lower level systems for more powerful applications.
    Sounding good, Linux programmers get your fingers ready for some hacks, Shadowmite are you listening?
    It says bluetooth tethering.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    From Palm's website

Carrier Sprint
    Operating system Palm® webOS™
    Network specs 3G EVDO Rev A
    Display 3.1-inch touch screen with a vibrant 24-bit color 320x480 resolution HVGA display
    Keyboard Physical QWERTY keyboard
    Email
    2 Microsoft Outlook® email with Microsoft® Direct Push Technology
    POP3/IMAP (Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc).
    Messaging Integrated IM, SMS, and MMS
    GPS Built-in GPS
    Digital camera 3 megapixel camera with LED flash and extended depth of field
    Sensors Ambient light, accelerometer, and proximity
    Media formats supported Audio Formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video Formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    Image Formats: GIF, Animated GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP
    Wireless connectivity Wi-Fi 802.11b/g with WPA, WPA2, 801.1x authentication
    Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR with A2DP stereo Bluetooth support
    Memory 8GB of user storage (~7.4GB user available)
    USB mass storage support
    Phone as laptop modem Bluetooth tethering
    Connector MicroUSB connector with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
    Headphone jack 3.5mm stereo
    Palm® Touchstone™charging dock Compatible
    Dimensions Width: 59.5mm (2.3 inches)
    Height: 100.5mm (3.9 inches)
    Thickness: 16.95mm (0.67 inches)
    Weight 135 grams (4.76 ounces)
    Not to mention there will probably be 3rd party apps in the future like PDAnet or USB Modem...
    I would think carriers would want a device they carry to have tethering capabilities, because some carriers charge more for tethering - specific tether plans.
    Just call me Berd.
    Engadget just reported that Sprint has removed data Tethering as a freature.

Palm Pre no longer features data tethering on Sprint website - Engadget
    Hmmmm odd... They might just feel as if the general public didn't need to know that it was a feature. Not too many people tether their phones.

Plus, Sprint is pushing the mobile card stuff.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Hmmmm odd... They might just feel as if the general public didn't need to know that it was a feature. Not too many people tether their phones.

Plus, Sprint is pushing the mobile card stuff.
    Or maybe they want to charge for the feature. Since their earnings were reported to be low.
    Ya it seems that way.
    I put this under nice to have feature, not a deal breaker for me.
    Well, yeah, I'm with Miles, nice to have because I figured that it would be my backup broadband for my computer if my home service went out, which does happen now and then...and I could still connect via the phone.

Miles, I'm still ticked that the V rep lied to us about broadband on her Centro when we went to Mex. What the heck?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Hopefully JuneFabrics, makers of PdaNet will get on it and develop an app for webOs to allow tethering. They did it for Palm Os!
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I think Engadget is reading too much into this. From the pictures it looks like Sprint's website just fixed a formatting error in that feature list and didn't have room on the page for another feature. That's not a complete feature list by any means, so just because tethering's not listed doesn't mean the Pre won't do it. Palm's site still says it has that capability. Of course Sprint will still want you to pay the extra $15/month for the privilege like with all their other phones that have that capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Hopefully JuneFabrics, makers of PdaNet will get on it and develop an app for webOs to allow tethering. They did it for Palm Os!
    Agreed. Even if Sprint is disabling or charging extra for tethering (although only for the Pre? Winmo o.k. to tether?) a work around will be available in a month after launch.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Palm's website states (details section): "Phone as laptop modem: Bluetooth tethering" and "Connector: MicroUSB connector with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed"
    That's a deal breaker for me. I don't use my N95 to connect my laptop to the net often, but when I do I'm glad it's there. Sprint may just have to live without me as a customer, and I'll have to stick with AT&T and have a Pre imported from EU.
    It is a deal breaker for me too. Right now I am typing this using an Instinct tethered to my MacBook Pro. Note that tethering isn't supported on the Instinct but it works. I would be fine if tethering on the Pre also worked this way (i.e. it worked but wasn't supported.)

Alas I can't upgrade to a Pre until June at the earliest anyway (1 year from when I got the Instinct) so this issue should be resolved by then.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast