Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    phone will be off when in USB Storage Mode. In other word when doing a data transfer via drag & drop method on your PC. It's still charging & receiving your call otherwise when connected to your PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    ummmm....so you can't tether with your wife's centro and make calls from your Pre where all your contacts are anyway? Your dealbreaker scenario seems a bit flawed.
    Ummm, I think your reading and comprehension is a bit flawed! If you read my statement again you will notice a little mention of terminal services. I have to log into my boss' computer to access Act! Even though this could be done directly from the phone it is a miserable process due to real estate. Thus the need for the laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by markdb77 View Post
    tethering on WinMo is free.
    So is Shoplifting.

Just kidding.
    I think I know what you meant.
    If one has a Tether Plan (which is not free), one can Tether with the Free WM app - Internet Sharing.
    I was on the phone with a support rep helping me with my Sprint Treo 755p a couple days ago. The rep was surprisingly very knowledgable and helpful, and she was stationed in the Phillipines. After helping with my 755p issues, I then quizzed the rep about the Pre, specifically the ability to use the Pre as a modem.

The rep told me the new Pre will not have any modem ability whatsoever, and that Sprint is phasing out modem ability for new phones. However, any older Sprint phones with modem ability will still have that feature, just not any new phones including the Pre.

A modem feature is important to me only because I recently cancelled my $60 monthly wireless modem card. I'm still able to use my Sprint 755p as a modem by using PdaNet. I'm hoping that PdaNet (or something similar) will be available for the Pre too. Anyone have any idea on this?
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I was on the phone with a support rep helping me with my Sprint Treo 755p a couple days ago. The rep was surprisingly very knowledgable and helpful, and she was stationed in the Phillipines. After helping with my 755p issues, I then quizzed the rep about the Pre, specifically the ability to use the Pre as a modem.

The rep told me the new Pre will not have any modem ability whatsoever, and that Sprint is phasing out modem ability for new phones. However, any older Sprint phones with modem ability will still have that feature, just not any new phones including the Pre.

A modem feature is important to me only because I recently cancelled my $60 monthly wireless modem card. I'm still able to use my Sprint 755p as a modem by using PdaNet. I'm hoping that PdaNet (or something similar) will be available for the Pre too. Anyone have any idea on this?
    So you're asking if Sprint is going to let you cheat them out of using your Pre as a Mobile Broadband card without paying?

You want to know if you can tether for free and violate the terms of service? I'm just making sure I understand your question....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Not at release but someone will get it working. Just like every other phone.

I also don't see an issue with it unless you go over your 5gb.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    This is clearly spelled out on the details of the new plans with Sprint. Go to Sprint.com, click on Plans, choose Individual Plans, then under the SimplyEverything Plan, click on More about what's included in this plan. The second to last feature listed in the first section of information titled Simply Everything states - Phone as modem or tethering: not included.

It says the same thing under the details for Everything Data plan as well.
    Then we need a way to connect the EVDO to the wireless and make the Pre act as a wireless connection to our laptops. ii

Sorry if that was already mentioned, I did not read all the posts in this thread ii

Seriously I am REALLY hoping that there is a way somehow. I do not use it often enough to pay for a separate card but enough that I need it.
    Last edited by Paladin; 05/29/2009 at 09:09 AM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    So you're asking if Sprint is going to let you cheat them out of using your Pre as a Mobile Broadband card without paying?

You want to know if you can tether for free and violate the terms of service? I'm just making sure I understand your question....
    I don't think his intent is to cheat or steal, but rather to get the full usage out of of 5GB data he's paying for.

I pay $30 a month for data on my phone and $30 for data on my wife's phone and $45 a month for internet access to my cable tv company. So I am paying $105 a month for internet access. Not much I can do about it, but I do feel I am getting ripped off a bit.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

sorry, but that's a bad analogy as one has nothing to do with the other. Now if you could carry your cable modem around with you in your back pocket and it had a little screen and keyboard with direct web access, I'd see your point. Just seems like more whining to me which there is plenty of lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I pay $30 a month for data on my phone and $30 for data on my wife's phone and $45 a month for internet access to my cable tv company. So I am paying $105 a month for internet access. Not much I can do about it, but I do feel I am getting ripped off a bit.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    sorry, but that's a bad analogy as one has nothing to do with the other. Now if you could carry your cable modem around with you in your back pocket and it had a little screen and keyboard with direct web access, I'd see your point. Just seems like more whining to me which there is plenty of lately.
    What do you mean I can't keep my SERO plan!

My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

let me go get you some cheese to go with that...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    The Fact Sheet specifically states: "Phone As Modem capable Via Bluetooth(Only special pricing can add PAM attachable)"

Which I assumed meant a special plan. I went to Sprint's site and started a chat, asking how I would get this. They said that I would need to get a talk + data plan, that getting the "Simply Everything" plan does not allow you to get a Phone as Modem service.

Of course, the curious thing here is, that everything thus far has insisted that you have to get at least the Simply Everything data plan in order to get a Palm Pre.

Anyone fluent with Sprint's plans that could maybe shine some light on how this will work?
    I believe its $15 a month to use your phone as a modem.
    Not if you have an unlimited everythng plan, I use Bluetooth for my phone as a modem and it works fine. Actually I dont even think im supposed too but it still works fine with my laptop
    Having to pay extra to use PAM is a little like leasing a truck and being told you can't tow with it when it already has a tow bar installed. Sorry, you'll have to pay extra for that.
    Someone emailed June Fabrics and they responded they plan to release PDANet tethering for Pre.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Dear everyone who gripes about stealing/breaking terms of service,
    Please tell Sprint to reallow adding Phone-as-Modem to our plans. It would be super awesome if there was some kind of alacart plan, like it was $2 for 24 hours access to Tethering. I would be more then willing to pay that for my very occasional use.

They used to do that for Sprint Navigation, I don't see what makes it so difficult. It's almost like before iTunes and decent MP3 stores existed. When it was a super big pain in the *** to buy music digitally and legally, I may have dabled in the dark p2p arts. But now that it's painless to download music legally, I don't touch the stuff. It's not that I'm not willing to pay anything, it's that they don't offer it.
    Considering most people were illegally tethering in the first place, that analogy doesn't wash. Especially when towing causes increased wear and tear on the truck and that isn't accounted for in your lease payment.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Having to pay extra to use PAM is a little like leasing a truck and being told you can't tow with it when it already has a tow bar installed. Sorry, you'll have to pay extra for that.
    Considering most people were illegally tethering in the first place, that analogy doesn't wash. Especially when towing causes increased wear and tear on the truck and that isn't accounted for in your lease payment.
    Yep, used USB-Modem today on my Centro
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast