Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    It's often removed from WM phones although it works automatically on most cooked ROMs and with 3rd party apps. Palm has 3rd party apps and jailbroken iPhones do too. I would imagine there will be a 3rd party app soon enough. I will also miss this feature but I think I can get over it.

As I said in another thread, it's a shame they don't embrace this feature. Imagine setting it down on the Touchstone and choosing "hotspot mode" turning it into a wireless hotspot a-la WMWifi. They may lose some PC card sales but they would sell a ton of Pre phones.
    It's not the sale of the card that Sprint wants, it's the card PLAN. A Sprint customer who adds a card to an account now has TWO plans as opposed to someone who regularly tethers using just one plan. THAT is why Sprint had tethering disabled. Palm would love it to work out of the box, as that is one more feature that boosts the Pre. Plus, as you stated, more Pres would be sold!

I currently have a broadband card through Sprint as well as the $99 everything plan. I use my card all the time, but have been debating on getting rid of it if I could tether. The only reservation I have is that you can't tether and talk at the same time (which I often need to do). When 4G hits I'll probably dump the card, as it will allow both voice & data at the same time. Hopefully the Pre (or its successor) will support it!!!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    I'm not an analyst but I would think that the amount of money they would make off of an extra $15/month for tethering would about equal the amount of money they make off the broadband card.

The people who need an always connected laptop will stay with the data card, and those who can justify spending money, but not $60 will get the tethering plan. I'd say that you can find 4 people who would buy a tethering plan for every one person (hardcore users excluded) that would buy a card plan.
    As others have said, someone will release an app to work with tethering. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    I think it would be a great feature for some of us who only need to tether occasionally. With the Everything plan we could have internet access anywhere we have Sprint service. Sometimes there is need for a quick hookup and no wifi in that area. I would be willing to pay a little more on my plan, $10 or $15/mth for tethering but don't need it nearly enough to pay $60.
    tethering on WinMo is free.
    All I have to say is no tethering == no sale for me. Plus I will let my 2 year contract run out (it has a year to go) and see who has tethering at that point.

I hardly use my voice minutes but I do use tethering while commuting on the train.

(Currently sending this via a tethered Instinct.)
    I agree, tethering is a great feature I've come to enjoy on my HTC Touch (one of the only features I enjoy). However the reason why I would resort to tethering was how unuseable the browser/the phone was. I really think you'll be able to do more than you think having the palm pre, and maybe not need the tethering ability as much (at least until someone hacks it).
    I'd hope there is a tethering solution available soon. I just recently had my home broadband connection fail, and I couldn't get it fixed for a few days. It was nice to be able to tether my Centro on Verizon.
    I'm sending this tethered with WMWifiRouter at the moment. I understand that it is the plan that they want. I just think they could make up in volume what they would lose in markup if they made tethering standard on the Pre. Right now only so many people buy those $60 card plans. Another good chunk does it under the radar like me. The average Joe would be more likely to buy a Pre if they knew it meant bringing their internet with them.
    No tethering is a deal breaker for me. I don't tether often but when I do it is because I really need it. The best situation is when I go on a trip with my wife I plug my computer into the lighter, Treo 700wx into my laptop, terminal service into my boss' computer, and use my wife's Centro to make sales calls!
    ummmm....so you can't tether with your wife's centro and make calls from your Pre where all your contacts are anyway? Your dealbreaker scenario seems a bit flawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parli View Post
    No tethering is a deal breaker for me. I don't tether often but when I do it is because I really need it. The best situation is when I go on a trip with my wife I plug my computer into the lighter, Treo 700wx into my laptop, terminal service into my boss' computer, and use my wife's Centro to make sales calls!
    Anyone know if tethering has been confirmed as a yes or no?
    Hopefully its a yes, would be really awesome.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I predict that within a month (perhaps two weeks) of June 6th someone will hack the phone to enable "free" tethering. But no, it's not a "feature" of the phone the plans it's offered with.
    It is capable of tethering and some of the early promos listed it as a feature. It was probably removed for one or more of these reasons:

- Sprint said "wait one minute! We make a bundle on those $60 data card plans!"
    - Palm said "wait one minute! This tethering feature doesn't always work properly, drains the battery, and makes the phone hot. We shouldn't list it just yet."
    - Sprint or Palm said "wait one minute! Apple is announcing a new iPhone two days after our release. We should hold off on announcing this and save it for a last-minute surprise!"

Unfortunately those are in order of most to least likely
    If Bluetooth PAN is supported then you should be able to get free tethering to work.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Pdanet needs to chime in! They make a tethering app/hack for all other mobile OS's
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I think we just need to wait until the phone is out.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I heard the radio turns off when it is plugged into a ubs port. Don't know if that has any bearing the the internet tethering.
    I currently use pdanet with my treo 800w over bluetooth to my laptop. I only use bluetooth because my mini usb connector on my treo is busted. It drops the bluetooth connection after about 10-15 minutes and I have to do the log on process again. It is annoying. I hope that there is a way to use the cable and not have to worry about connecting via bluetooth..
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev View Post
    I heard the radio turns off when it is plugged into a ubs port. Don't know if that has any bearing the the internet tethering.
    That would be stupid, that means you can't really use the phone when you're charging it.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast