Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    For me, not a huge deal. The very rare times where I'd like internet access on my laptop and can't get it, well, I usually have craptastic cell coverage there too!
    I spend two weeks every summer in a place with excellent sprint coverage and no other easily available net access. I also take a break on nice days in a local park in my metro area and tether while I am there about 45 minutes twice a week. Tethering is very very important to me.
    If I didn't have to pay Sprint for my minutes & even though they took back one of my sharing plans & even though I can't afford $60 to get it back I will 'ole school teher to my PC. I can't afford much so I won't have the ability to get "JUNE"
    For me - not important

BUT

If you are paying for unlimited internet service, which we will be if it's an everything plan, then Sprint should allow it, and Palm should make it easy to do. There should be no restrictions.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    its somewhat important.

the purpose of tethering is to enjoy full featured internet on a computer.

while Pre can somewhat offer the full featured internet on the device already, so I guess my answer eventually will be a no. At least as far as how I use my computer(no bt or large download, video not important).

also because pre's multi-tasking is very easy, it allows mutiple workflows, such that I can IM, web, email, office together, that further reduce the necessity for tethering.

I would like it to be an option, one way or another, but I myself dont see that as a requirement, so far.

Maybe a firefox mobile too.
    Not important at all to me.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Whether it is allowed or not, I have yet to use a smart phone that I was unable to tether as a modem via bluetooth . Mac or PC. I have never used a Palm however, just windows mobile, symbian, and blackberry. Blackberry being the easiest. And I have never paid for a tethering plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Whether it is allowed or not, I have yet to use a smart phone that I was unable to tether as a modem via bluetooth . Mac or PC. I have never used a Palm however, just windows mobile, symbian, and blackberry. Blackberry being the easiest. And I have never paid for a tethering plan.
    Every Treo I've owned, I've been able to tether.

On a side note, I spent more time "connected" while setting up the tethering and testing it, than I actually did using it in the field. Which is why I never purchased the PAM program. Just one of those things that's "good to know" that I can do if necessary.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

On a side note, I spent more time "connected" while setting up the tethering and testing it, than I actually did using it in the field. Which is why I never purchased the PAM program.
    Same situation for me. Although I use it pretty heavily a couple of times a year when I am traveling or on vacation and wifi is unavailable. Other than that, almost never, but it is good to know its there.
    If I tether it will be a handful of times a year and only for checking email and simple browsing on a larger screen. So I won't pay anymore for it and I'll wait the month or two for a PDA net type program to come out.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I know its really early but does anyone know if the pre will be able to tether...that is a big thing for me in making my decision on switching...
    last I heard..NO
    From what I've read. Sprint is planning to not allow tethering.
    Last edited by crawform; 05/18/2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: fixed links
    Eventually someone will probably get tethering working but at launch don't count on it.
    Officially? No.

Unofficially? Sometime after release you can just about bet on it.
    Considering android has tethering (both based on linux), I'd say there is a 99% chance the pre will have at least usb tethering within a month of launch....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    It is usually pretty easy if you use bluetooth. It is not allowed on my curve, but it took about 5 minutes on XP, slightly less on my Mac.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    thanks for the quick replies, i hope someone can hack the pre to tether...
    It's often removed from WM phones although it works automatically on most cooked ROMs and with 3rd party apps. Palm has 3rd party apps and jailbroken iPhones do too. I would imagine there will be a 3rd party app soon enough. I will also miss this feature but I think I can get over it.

As I said in another thread, it's a shame they don't embrace this feature. Imagine setting it down on the Touchstone and choosing "hotspot mode" turning it into a wireless hotspot a-la WMWifi. They may lose some PC card sales but they would sell a ton of Pre phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawform View Post
    fyi, a couple of threads on this topic:
    Thanks,

<<Merged>>
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 05/18/2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Links removed as they point to the same thread now.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast