Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Dude, I posted the YouTube video of how to do it right below your post!!!
    Dude, I said I was reading the forum on my phone, as I am right now. K just watched the video you posted. Without that code, it won't work. And he won't tell how to find the code (maybe at a later date he says haha) and advises to search the internet. Um, no thanks.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I really hope it has PaM, but it's looking more and more like it won't. Supposedly, Verizon will have prepaid data cards soon, maybe that can be my PaM replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Now that would be an awesome application, but I'm not sure that architectural limitations of the Pre would allow it. I can see doing a reverse link to a computer with the Pre masquerading as a router, but the problem comes with how client devices (laptop, phone, etc) and routers handle WiFi connections - the client device is designed to connect to one network at a time, whereas the router is designed to connect to multiple devices and serve as a bridge. Antennas and processors and bridges are at the very least notably different between the two device classes.
    The only thing different between a computer with a wifi chip (i.e. - a Palm pre, iPhone, etc.) and a wireless router is the software. When you have the hardware in your hands, it's only a matter of time before the software falls in place, with or without Palm and/or Sprint's permission.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Dude, I said I was reading the forum on my phone, as I am right now. K just watched the video you posted. Without that code, it won't work. And he won't tell how to find the code (maybe at a later date he says haha) and advises to search the internet. Um, no thanks.
    Actually,
    ImmaSlave, you asked "how you go about thethering w/ your Instinct?" which is what we were showing you how to do.

Now if you don't know your MSL code that is a whole different ball of wax. As the video stated do a search and it only took me seconds to find this on Google:

1) download demo version of CDMA WORKSHOP from http://www.cdma-ware.com/ (Will not work on Windows Vista)

2) Install USB Phone driver on your computer if already installed go to next step

3) run CDMA WORKSHOP, settings at main screen on the right are as follows
    (The phone must be connected to the computer but not as Mass Storage because never will assign the COM Port) The phone can't display Connected to Computer in the Phone display.
    You need to go to Device Manager and verify COM Ports to know the correct COM Port assigned to the Phone because each computer assign different com ports. I will use com6 as example.

com settings (AT mode)
    ---------------
    Port (com6)
    Baud rate (38400)

com settings (DM mode)
    ---------------
    Baud rate (115200)

4) you should now be able to hit <connect> if it was successful you'll see in status bar <connected to com6>

5) now click <read> after a moment all your info will come up on left panel, phone # etc
    if not display the info change to another port and repeat step 4

6) click on security tab change the right panel setting to as follows

Passord(16 digits)
    ------------------
    samsung (default)

7)now click send if done sucessfully you'll get a popup window
    saying (password successful, phone unlocked)

8)note the number under <SPC/USER LOCK> the one that flashed red, this is your MSL number( 6 digit) and is used to access the edit function under ##data# or ##3282# menus and every other hidden menu on your phone

Now I haven't tried it but if you care to use your Instinct as a modem you will get off your **** and try it.

The alternative which I find can take a long time and doesn't always work is to call Tier 2 data support and tell them you need to reprogram your phone for some reason, i.e. it is having problems. They have to give you the MSL code to reprogram it.

For everyone else who hasn't seen video on PAM Instinct:

2. Start "New Connection Wizard" on PC
    3. Choose "Connect to Internet" --> "Manually" --> "Dial-up Modem"
    4. Phone number is #777
    5. Leave Username, Password fields blank
    6. Make sure you take out any SD card from phone
    7. Connect phone to PC with USB cable
    8. Turn off NAI by going to dialer use hash code ##332846368#
    9. Enter MSl number (Shown at the top of this post)
    10. Click "Toggle NAI"
    11. Set it to "Off"
    12. Click "Done"
    13. Go back to home screen
    14. Launch the newly created connection on PC and make sure nothing is entered or checked.

That's it, according to the video.
    Last edited by deesugar; 04/30/2009 at 07:13 PM.
    It's important, but not important enough not to get it. The hardware's there, and the software will come in less than 2 months... without a doubt. I'd be surprised if it even took that long.

What I'm really surprised is that most people in this thread talking about tethering are mentioning bluetooth and wired connections thru USB Modem. Why wouldn't you want to use Wi-Fi?? It's sooo much easier to deal with. Just click "Enable wireless router mode" and bam... all 4 people in your apartment can get online thru your Pre. No dealing with pins, bluetooth pairing, bluetooth usb sticks, limited bluetooth speeds, limited bluetooth range, and limited bluetooth compatibilities altogether. Bluetooth was the shiznit when it first came out, because it was supposed to save battery life over Wi-Fi... but BT wasn't as well thought out of a standard as Wi-Fi.

That's not what I'll be doing, tho. I think I'll be keeping my Treo 755p on SERO and hook it up to a Cradlepoint CTR500 with an external battery pack. That way, I don't lose my SERO plan, I don't waste the 755p while managing to give it a purpose, and I don't violate Sprint's terms as much as most people here are wanting to. I'd say $30/mo is a reasonable deal for WiFi every where I take my backpack. Good thing about hooking a phone up to a Cradlepoint router as opposed to a USB data card is that the data cards drain power faster, since they don't have their own battery. Also, breaking up the individual components of a portable Wi-Fi spot (radio w/ separate battery, Cradlepoint router, then router's battery of any size I choose) just makes sense to me for numerous reasons, and full thoughput speeds is probly the one on top. I'll have Wi-Fi with me EVERYWHERE I go, uninterrupted by phone calls. I LOVE IT!
    Set up my new cradlepoint phs300 yesterday with the data card. Worked like charm after updating firmware. Keep in car and take it as i need it. The internal battery sold me. Didn't want to fool with a battery pack and i only need wireless. Didn't need the expresscard slot either.

Your solution would seem to work as well although not really legit
    Could care less. USB data card does the trick. Doesn't interfere with phone usage and has more reliable speed. Will be picking up the Cradlepoint CTR500 soon as well. Thought about the PHS300, but I believe it doesn't have an external antenna input.

And grndslm, your situation is a bit unique since you'll have two phones. Definitely not the norm for most.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    And grndslm, your situation is a bit unique since you'll have two phones. Definitely not the norm for most.
    Yes it is a unique situation. If I didn't have so many friends without Internet, I'd just buy the Pre app that routes my EV-DO connection thru the Wi-Fi on my phone and use it occasionally, as most here will do. But I've been planning on setting up a portable, EV-DO router for sometime, and it seems like the best way alright.

I just realized that saving the SERO lines might not be so helpful, since the Pre would be my third line... I could just get a family plan, and it'd be $125, only $5 more than 2 SERO + 1 Pre.

Hmm... I'm gonna have to go back into my cave until I can really afford all this stuff.
    ^ Yes, sir. I saw that. I run Vista, and as it says...it doesn't work. Thanks anyway, it's no big deal.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    I have two treo pro's one is for tethering & the other is for my phone. tethering is the only way i'll go, can do it anywhere, yes it's sprint & i am content.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
    I really hope it has PaM, but it's looking more and more like it won't.
    There are two pieces to the tethering puzzle: 1) What the device can do and 2) what the carrier allows. This applies to all phones & carriers (BB on Verizon, Treo on AT&T, whatever). I'm sure the Pre, as a device, supports tethering. But it is up to Sprint to allow tethering on their network. The way I see it the options are:

A. SEP with no tethering. Your PC gets it's data from another source.
    B. SEP with PAM add-on. You pay the extra monthly fee.
    C. SEP with 3rd-party tethering app or a hack. This would be a TOS violation, but some folks wouldn't care.
    D. SEP with tethering allowed at no extra cost.

FWIW I think having to pay extra for tethering is inappropriate. IMO data is data and if you're paying for unlimited data there shouldn't be any restriction on how that data is used. Browsing from a tethered PC is no different that browsing from the phone, especially as phone browsers are more and more able to support rich content. The other day, for instance, I downloaded a 200+MB Windows update to my Treo and then transferred it to a PC that only had dial-up. In the literal sense I was merely browsing on the Treo but yet I was doing it for the express purpose of getting a file to a PC. I didn't violate the TOS but was short-circuiting around the lack of tethering.
    - Fushigi
    I hardly use USB Modem but it's good to know I can. I would be even less likely to need tethering cause nearly all the stuff I do on the internet can already be done on the Pre.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    If the phone supports teathering physically, there will be a hack rather quickly to make it work. No need to worry about what Sprint wants.
    If the phone supports tethering physically then it will be hacked to work. No reason to worry about sprint's restrictions.
    Quote Originally Posted by fushigi View Post
    FWIW I think having to pay extra for tethering is inappropriate. IMO data is data and if you're paying for unlimited data there shouldn't be any restriction on how that data is used. Browsing from a tethered PC is no different that browsing from the phone, especially as phone browsers are more and more able to support rich content.
    While I agree with the basic "sprit" of what you're saying, I disagree with the details. You're looking at the way you use your system(s). I daresay if everyone did it the way you're talking about, Sprint would probably allow tethering, and likely at no addtional charge.

It sounds like your need is very much like mine - occasionally need to hook up the laptop to do browsing.

However, the temptation (for me) might be to say "forget paying for my high speed connection, I'll just use my tethered Pre". Sprint (I'm sure) wouldn't mind the browsing, but the 200-400 mb system updates I download to put on servers would probably be a burden, as would the occasional 2-4gb Linux OS distro.

Then you add to that, the occasional bozo that actually use the wireless tether to run servers, and you see why Sprint has to hit the brakes.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I think too many home devices want to be online for tethering to truly replace an at-home broadband connection. At home I've got 2 laptops, 4 desktops, a home server, VOIP gateway, a Wii, DVR, and a BD player all wanting the occasional or frequent 'net connection. While the bandwidth of a tethered connection could handle it even with the higher latency, the phone would wind up dedicated to serving data and wouldn't really be portable or useful for actual calls. And paying for such a plan could potentially be more expensive than what broadband costs.

While my environment may be atypical, there are millions of homes with a game system, DVR, maybe a Slingbox, and more than one PC. For them, a tethering solution for home broadband is generally going to prove inappropriate.

As you note, my need for tethering is infrequent. In fact, I was paying for PAM as my employer reimbursed the cost but as we've been asked to trim expenses I dropped it from my account a few months ago. I haven't needed it since, so I figure if I truly need access from my corporate laptop I'll run to Panera or a coffee house.

To a degree I think the whole issue could be sidestepped with metered access. Include 25GB with the data plan and charge, say, $5 for every 10GB beyond that. Tethering, streaming, browsing, email, etc. can be "all you can eat". Exceedingly few people would go beyond 25GB/month and $5 for 10GB isn't too expensive for additional data. Now, I know lots of people take issue with bandwidth caps, but it simply & easily offers a way for people to have enough capacity for normal and most abnormal activities while letting those who "abuse the bandwidth" pay for the privilege. Everyone gets what they want and no one gets mad or cut off for exceeding the limit on an "unlimited" connection. No hidden bandwidth caps leads to fewer unhappy customers.
    - Fushigi
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Its not important to me at all, but I can see how it would be EXTREMELY important to others.

I'm curious though. If they allowed tethering on the Pre, how many would pay an additional fee?
    Tethering is important to me....

I would pay a fee, but I can't justify $30 a month for something I use maybe one weekend every two months... I pay $19 for pda net and call it a day...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I hope Pdanet comes to the rescue! They offer solutions for PalmOs, iPhone, Blackberry, Windows mobile and Android

June Fabrics PDA Technology Group

Lets all send them an email!
    not at all
    Tethering is not the least bit important to me.

Now, not being able to copy/paste text from a website, however...

sleepy
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley