Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    My goal is to get rid of the need for the big computer, outside of home, altogether.

Why lug around a laptop on the road when you could do it all with a Pre. You will have your email and PIM data synced with home via the cloud.

Now we have enough horse power to run some serious apps.

Someone will come out with Pre compatible bluetooth keyboard and portable printer eventually.

I think its almost time to give the laptop to the kids.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Very important. I don't use tethering all that often (mostly during commuting or traveling) but when I need it, I really need it. If the Pre doesn't have it I'll probably stay with the Treo. Also, I'm hoping there will be a program like USBModem or PDANet; the $40/month for occasional tethering is another deal killer.

akula34, at least on my 755p I never miss calls when tethering. The data connection is interrupted, I take the call, when the call is over, the data connection resumes as if nothing happened. If you need voice and data simultaneously that's a different story...

I feel the exact same way - my Sprint 755p works so well that even though it is old and can't do a few things that I wish it could, if the Pre didn't have tethering, it would make me hang on maybe for Pre rev2 or Pre with tethering. Sometimes the bigger screen of a laptop or a netbook comes in handy when traveling.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Its a nice to have for me, but not that important.
    For me, not a huge deal. The very rare times where I'd like internet access on my laptop and can't get it, well, I usually have craptastic cell coverage there too!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I can live without it, so it won't keep me from buying the Pre, but it is VERY nice to have when you need it. I'll be looking out for the 3rd party app to enable it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I would miss tethering if the Pre doesn't have it. Even though I'm mostly using a Sprint wireless USB modem card most of the time nowadays, I want to know I can use PdaNet (or something similar) for tethering as an alternate method.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Occasionally I need to teather to a Dell Axim. I have some IP home security monitors that for some reason I cannot find a Palm OS program to manage. So, I'm stuck with the Axim on occasion for the Windows OS.
    My question is...
    is the app catalog going to be through palm or through sprint store?
    the reason I ask this is because if its through palm, then we hve a better chance of having someone developing an app that tethers.
    I have a feeling that if the apps aare provided through Sprint, then they are not going to allow an app that tethers because they want you to get the simply everything plus the 50 dollars to tether.

I hope that the app catalog is provided by palm!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fully_Amazing View Post
    My question is...
    the reason I ask this is because if its through palm, then we hve a better chance of having someone developing an app that tethers.
    I have a feeling that if the apps aare provided through Sprint, then they are not going to allow an app that tethers because they want you to get the simply everything plus the 50 dollars to tether.

Of course this is all speculation on my part, but with how simple the app structure seems to be, javascript + html, I'd imagine we could get unapproved apps by drag-n-dropping from a pc. Maybe not right away, but if this can get near the popularity of the iPhone I'm sure it will be hacked in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fully_Amazing View Post
    My question is...

The App Catalog will be a Palm thing, though like AT&T and Apple, Palm will probably listen to Sprint and if they deem it prudent, restrict certain applications from distribution through Sprint.

However... the App Catalog will not be the only way to get applications on the the Pre. Unlike Apple, Palm is going to allow "side loading" of applications, i.e. you can download the requisite file off of another website and load it yourself, completely bypassing Palm.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Using Bejeweled as an example:

What's to keep them from charging 9.99 at their own site while offering a free limited app on the App Catalog? If you want to buy it, go to bejeweled's website.

This is the uncertainty of offering side loads. Would pricing be the same on palm's catalog vs the developer's site? Sure, the developer doesn't exactly host these sites and take care of selling for free, but they might spread these costs over many apps they sell. Palm might want 30% of each sale.

Does Palm's app catalog track and alert for updates? How about if you bought apps elsewhere? Maybe someone like Slingbox doesn't even use Palm's catalog?

Anyways, should be interesting..
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i don't need tethering now but i like that it is an option. it's not a deal breaker for me now but i can't say it will be that way forever.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Probably a deal breaker for me--particularly since the iPhone will now allow tethering.
    But AT&T might not.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I purchase USB Modem and have only used it a handful of times, BUT it has allowed me to fix problems at work while on the road. So, though it's not critical to me personally, it does allow me to quickly handle work issues so I can more easily get back to my personal life. Confusing enough? Business and pleasure are so mixed these days...

Will lack of this functionality make me keep my Treo? I don't think so, but I have to hear reviews and fondle the Pre myself before I make any decisions. If it blows me away, then I deal without tethering for the time being. Maybe it will come in a refresh or second generation or, hopefully, just another application/hack as us Palm folks are so used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    My goal is to get rid of the need for the big computer, outside of home, altogether.

Why lug around a laptop on the road when you could do it all with a Pre. You will have your email and PIM data synced with home via the cloud.

Now we have enough horse power to run some serious apps.

Someone will come out with Pre compatible bluetooth keyboard and portable printer eventually.

I think its almost time to give the laptop to the kids.
    That might work for you, but not me. I need access to things like Microsoft Project, and custom apps my employer and client use, which aren't likely to be supported on the Pre. Even if they were, some things you just need a big screen for.

But I do think that 3rd party solutions for this will be available eventually.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    For me, not a huge deal. The very rare times where I'd like internet access on my laptop and can't get it, well, I usually have craptastic cell coverage there too!
    This.

I've got DSL for internet at my house. Then I'll have 3g on my Pre for anything else.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Not a huge deal, im sure someone will figure out a way to get around it.
    3000 Anytime + Mobile-to-Mobile + 7pm Nights & Weekends + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month
    Blackberry 8330 - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Very important. I don't use tethering all that often (mostly during commuting or traveling) but when I need it, I really need it. If the Pre doesn't have it I'll probably stay with the Treo. Also, I'm hoping there will be a program like USBModem or PDANet; the $40/month for occasional tethering is another deal killer.

akula34, at least on my 755p I never miss calls when tethering. The data connection is interrupted, I take the call, when the call is over, the data connection resumes as if nothing happened. If you need voice and data simultaneously that's a different story...
    completely agree with this post except that it won't be a total deal killer. No matter what I need to get rid of my 755p. It reboots all the time now and freezes randomly. I just need a new phone. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to get over the tethering limitation if there is one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I'm replying to this on my Instinct, and I'm curious if you care to share how you go about thethering w/ your Instinct?
    Search SprintInstinctForum.com for tethering.
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I'm replying to this on my Instinct, and I'm curious if you care to share how you go about thethering w/ your Instinct?
    Dude, I posted the YouTube video of how to do it right below your post!!!