Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I had posted concerns earlier about PAM pricing. Couldn't find it on sprint's site, can't add it online. Hear rumors its not available with Everything plans. Pre requires an Everything plan.

Whatever. They should make it clearer to understand.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Hey guys, you know the reason that I believe they removed tethering is due to the incompatibility with the Everything type of plans... Let me explain...

I have recently changed over to the Everything Family Data plan, and I was told from multiple reps that Data Tethering is INCOMPATIBLE (I wanted to use my 800w) with either the Simply Every. or Everything Data (Family Versions as well)

So if Sprint is requiring either of those two plans (I believe)... it only makes sense that tethering isn't available

(as long as the info given to me was correct)
    Last edited by mrkalel; 02/20/2009 at 09:59 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Hey guys, you know the reason that I believe they removed tethering is due to the incompatibility with the Everything type of plans... Let me explain...

I have recently changed over to the Everything Family Data plan, and I was told from multiple reps that Data Tethering is INCOMPATIBLE (I wanted to use my 800w) with either the Simply Every., Everything Data (Family Versions as well)

So if Sprint is requiring either of those two plans (I believe)... it only makes sense that tethering isn't available

(as long as the info given to me was correct)
    That is correct, when I switched to the Simply Everything Plan when it first came out, I couldn't add the PAM plan. It wasn't compatible anymore. Awhile ago on PhoneNews.Com I read that Sprint was supposedly working on that issue and was going to allow it to be added on, still nothing has changed.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Or maybe they want to charge for the feature. Since their earnings were reported to be low.
    How's that for a business model! "We're loosing customers so lets charge the crap out of the customers we still so they get PO'd and leave to!" Yes, great marketing their sprint! I bet they are still scratching their heads trying to figure out why they are loosing customers too! Ha! Why don't they just delay the Pre too so all their competition has a chance to compete with it?!
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Here's the thing. Even though tethering isn't supposed to be free, it IS. And has been for years (ignoring hacks) through 3rd party apps.

There's not much to be made here if you're already getting 99 a month for an Everything plan. May as well include tethering and use it to enhance the deal because..well...they'll tether anyways and do it for free.

I wouldn't imagine they have many on the 99 plan. It's expensive. I'm clueless there. But with a limited 6 month shot of having Pre exclusivity, i'd go the extra step (such as including tethering) if i were sprint, to get as many customers as i could on that 99 plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Here's the thing. Even though tethering isn't supposed to be free, it IS. And has been for years (ignoring hacks) through 3rd party apps.

There's not much to be made here if you're already getting 99 a month for an Everything plan. May as well include tethering and use it to enhance the deal because..well...they'll tether anyways and do it for free.

I wouldn't imagine they have many on the 99 plan. It's expensive. I'm clueless there. But with a limited 6 month shot of having Pre exclusivity, i'd go the extra step (such as including tethering) if i were sprint, to get as many customers as i could on that 99 plan.
    Thank you! Hello? PDANet? WMWiFiRouter... It's out there. One time fee's and you have tethering.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Thank you! Hello? PDANet? WMWiFiRouter... It's out there. One time fee's and you have tethering.
    Let's just hope that's true with the Pre. Especially since Palm, so far, doesn't have plans to release a native SDK.
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Best I can recall from all the "speculation" (without re reading that thread) is that it may still have the ability to tether but Sprint simply removed it from specs so they could push their Simply Everything +Mobile broadband for $150 plan.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Best I can recall from all the "speculation" (without re reading that thread) is that it may still have the ability to tether but Sprint simply removed it from specs so they could push their Simply Everything +Mobile broadband for $150 plan.
    Not only that, but even if it does not tether at launch, it might still be possible with an app.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'm really hoping what you're saying is correct Nacho.

I know tethering with my Diamond right now over Bluetooth for my acer aspire one is one of the main side uses I have my phone for. I'd hate not having that ability.
    I'm fairly certain there will be tethering.

I looks as if they just removed the tethering mention to properly list the Connector row. It's much easier to do that then add a whole new row and have to adjust background and other possible layout complications.

Plus, Palm's official site still lists bluetooth tethering.
    Hey all,

I keep seeing where one place will post a NO PAM for the Pre. And then another place lists PAM will be available to the Pre. I think Palm even lists it as available. But I am really not to concerned with the actual PAM plan. What I have to have is something like USBmodem or PDAnet. What kind of probability to you think there is of these apps showing up for the Pre? This is really a must have for me....
    I think the Pre itself can be tethered, but Sprint won't be activating Phone-As-Modem plans on the Palm Pre. Not sure how it will all be handled.

Just curious why this is a must-have for you? Seems like an airport card would work better. Tethering sucks battery life and you can't use your phone. Not exactly an ideal way to use the Pre, IMO.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Well, we know the hardware supports tethering, at least through Bluetooth. We also know that apps will have access to the data connection and to the Bluetooth hardware. Seems like it should be possible for someone to create an app to make it work. It may require some form of "unlocking" though if Sprint has made Palm disable the capability in some way.

I think Sprint really wants people to have cards for their computers with separate plans. They make a lot more money that way. I'm hopeful that we'll be able to get around that, however.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    What's the speed difference between a dedicated card and tethering a phone? It just sounds like the phone would be much slower, but handy in a pinch.
    I use it on an old laptop I have that only need to go online every once in awhile. I have a program that I use on it that has to go online to start it up. I also use this laptop to surf sometimes. A card doesnt pick up in some of the areas I use the laptop, and I dont want to pay a monthly fee on something I use only sometimes. I currently use usbmodem with my centro and I have no speed issues or battery problems, as it also is charging while running. I love to be able to use it if I need it. I also use it on a computer that is in a sound room/ studio to grab things that we find we may need. So I have a lot of uses for the PAM. It is one of the most valueable features on my centro.

I guess that is just me, but I love USBmodem...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Not sure. I know I get pretty decent speeds it seems with my Diamond tethered to my Acer Aspire One. Nothing breath taking, but I've never had any issue with any browsing I've attempted to do.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Imma, if Sprint would let us "add a line" to add an aircard to your phone's account for $10 or so a month, going that route would be a no-brainer. But as near as I can tell they do not (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The aircards run about $60 a month. For $720 a year I'd look into tethering as well.
    - Fushigi
    Exactly my thoughts. That is too much for something I only need sometimes, but as I said it is great to have when you need it... Just not $720 a year great..
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast