Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm with Darth Pooh and letsgoflyers81 on the microSD slot...

While I don't necessarily need the potential scads of extra storage space, the removability meant that backups were much more useful...I could back it up as I entered a Sprint store for service, take the card, hand the phone to the technician, and if I got a replacement phone, I could pop in the card, do a restore, and everything would be back, right down to my call log and all my text messages.

...still...that lack probably won't be enough to keep me from getting the phone, as my think my contract ends here in the 1H2009...
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 01/09/2009 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
    I'm not so sure I'd want removable storage. The internal storage is good and I'm sure within a year we'll be seeing 16gb and 32gb (that's the type of thing Verizon and ATT would do to try to make their 'launch' special). I'm with Verizon, but if it looks like they won't get it before Q3 I'm going to Sprint at any cost. I just don't get what Verizon's got against Palm. With each passing quarter Verizon shows they cater to feature-phone users who think the coolest function of a handheld computer is being able to play an obnoxious song when their cousin/husband calls. Their exclusive Bold is Blackberry-for-dummies...

Anyway, I digress. Storage. I believe this device will fully transition me to the cloud. In two years I doubt there will be any files I want to open that I won't be able to get if I just have a connection to the network.

Streaming video that is 320x480 wouldn't be laggy on 3G right? Will it be commonplace for people to stream their audio and video library from their home server to the cloud? That would simplify having to sync my music collection. (I'm anti-apple but syncing my Creative Zen with WMP 11 is a big bag of hurt).

I'd much rather have smartphone access to all my movies, music, audiobooks, and every picture I've ever taken on my multi-terabyte personal server than to worry about popping memory cards in and out and trying to keep all my files synced right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    I'm with Darth Pooh and letsgoflyers81 on the microSD slot...

While I don't necessarily need the potential scads of extra storage space, the revomability meant that backups were much more useful...I could back it up as I entered a Sprint store for service, take the card, hand the phone to the technician, and if I got a replacement phone, I could pop in the card, do a restore, and everything would be back, right down to my call log and all my text messages.

...still...that lack probably won't be enough to keep me from getting the phone, as my think my contract ends here in the 1H2009...
    I like having removable media too but we might as well get used to the clouds rolling in. IMHO, in the near future we will just back our devices up to the cloud or ota to our server right before you go into the Sprint store for a replacement. Someday I believe we may not need any storage on the devices. They might just be dumb terminals for the cloud. This would be more secure if you lost your device. It sure would be bad if you weren't in a coverage area though.
    Not having removable storage, and being unable to sync, messes it up for me.

I don't know about the rest of you, but every since I've gotten the Treo, I've had more crash problems than any of my previous stand alone Palms (various Clies). I like having back-up on the removable storage card.

In addition, I'm with Verizon. Thus, it will be a while before I can look touch a Pre.

With all that having been said, I'd get it tomorrow if it was with Verizon and take my chances w/o the card.
    I loved the SD card on my treo 650, but near the end of it's life used it less and less. With my Centro, I have not taken the card out since I put it in, since it is a bear to do so with the card's door and the need to basically also remove the battery door. Besides, those cards are too small and easy to lose. I have used the cable a lot to move files back and forth, however. I see the microsd cable connector is listed as for charging the phone (if you do not use the touchstone). I hope there is some kind of data transfer capabilities with the cable as well, not just the cloud. I use my Centro as a flash drive for files all the time for my pc or just to get files to the phone. I do wish they came out with 16 or 32 GB memory right away, got to give iphone storage a run for their money. Still want the phone, wish it were on Verizon.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I think the key here is this spec:

"USB mass storage support"

I'm assuming this means you could back up onto a thumb drive, or a card in a card reader.

Or plug it into a 64gb thumb drive for a boatload of media
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post

I'm assuming this means you could back up onto a thumb drive, or a card in a card reader.

i initially read that as being able to use the device as a memory key-like device.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenithNadir View Post
    i initially read that as being able to use the device as a memory key-like device.
    That's how I take it to be intended, also. That is, that it will mount as a USB drive when you plug it into a computer. Perhaps the phrase "USB mass storage support" was intended to communicate that it was an open system...that is, that you can copy your music and video and pictures and whatever else to it without having to go through some sync process, as with HotSync or iTunes.

That one phrase, though, has got to be the most misunderstood phrase in this whole marketing bit...People have interpreted it both ways, that it will mount as a USB drive, or that it will accept USB drives, with fair regularity.

Heh heh...Marketing and inventing phrases. *shakes head*
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    as far as memory goes 8 GB would be practical for me...but the point of a SD card used for portable backup is a good point
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    That's how I take it to be intended, also. That is, that it will mount as a USB drive when you plug it into a computer. Perhaps the phrase "USB mass storage support" was intended to communicate that it was an open system...that is, that you can copy your music and video and pictures and whatever else to it without having to go through some sync process, as with HotSync or iTunes.

That one phrase, though, has got to be the most misunderstood phrase in this whole marketing bit...People have interpreted it both ways, that it will mount as a USB drive, or that it will accept USB drives, with fair regularity.

Heh heh...Marketing and inventing phrases. *shakes head*
    It's not marketing...Mass Storage is a standard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mas...e_device_class

Anyways, what this means is that practically any modern OS (MacOSX, Linux, Windows), and even other devices that recognize mass storage devices (such as the Xbox 360) should be able to recognize the Palm Pre's storage and read/write from it. This is most useful when you want to quickly want to transfer music/videos/photos or other large/many files. Let's just hope the speeds are good - slow USB transfers are inexcusable imo, especially when it's a USB 2.0 device.

Many HTC devices (such as the Diamond and the Touch Pro) have this functionality.

Personally I would prefer a MicroSD anyday, but it wouldn't stop me from getting the Pre. I'm definitely going to wait at least a month after release to get one though. As pretty and flashy and awesome as the Pre looks, I'm sure it won't be without its bugs (like any device).
    Excuse it's crudeness (I didn't feel like dedicating a lot of photoshop time to this) but with the vagueness of "USB mass storage support" and going on a hopeful assumption that the Pre can access an external drive, would it be possible from an engineering standpoint to construct some sort of low profile usb drive/device to countour to the side of the phone as external storage?

Last edited by NachoB; 01/09/2009 at 07:55 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Excuse it's crudeness (I didn't feel like dedicating a lot of photoshop time to this) but with the vagueness of "USB mass storage support" and going on a hopeful assumption that the Pre can access an external drive, would it be possible from an engineering standpoint to construct some sort of low profile usb drive/device to countour to the side of the phone as external storage?
    I'm assuming the mass storage supports means you can plug the Pre into a computer via USB cable and it will be recognized as a mass storage device, ie removable drive. That would allow for easy copying of file to or from the device without a sync process. That's certainly nice, but doesn't replace the usefulness of a memory card.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81 View Post
    I'm assuming the mass storage supports means you can plug the Pre into a computer via USB cable and it will be recognized as a mass storage device, ie removable drive. That would allow for easy copying of file to or from the device without a sync process. That's certainly nice, but doesn't replace the usefulness of a memory card.
    I think you're talking about two different things. Mass storage functionality isn't meant to replace a memory card or any other storage device.

Mass Storage is just a protocol/standard for your computer to recognize whatever storage device is inside whatever is being connected to it. In this case, the storage device is the Palm Pre's 8GB storage.

Palm could have put in a MicroSD slot and still enabled mass storage functionality - this would mean you could read/write directly to your MicroSD through the Pre without having to take out the MicroSD card and put it in a card reader.

Quote Originally Posted by NachoB
    The first issue here is that no matter what it is you're connecting to the Pre's usb port is that the Pre's OS has to have drivers for that device. If Palm or someone else develops drivers, then there is a possibility that we could attach external storage, but it would be funny looking imo.

Secondly, there's the issue of the master-slave relationship. As far as I know, most portable devices (like phones, mp3 players, flash drives) function only as a slave and cannot initiate data transfer between it and another device. In simpler terms, your computer sends to your phone/iPod/flash drive, your phone/iPod/flash drive does not send to your computer. I don't know how accurate my description is, but I think it's close enough to make the point.

If Palm hasn't enabled USB-master functionality (and there's not much reason for them to, unless they expect us to be hooking stuff up to the Pre), then I doubt we'd be able to hook up standard USB storage to the MicroUSB port. Now if someone develops a special USB storage system that the Pre will recognize (with regards to drivers, etc), then it is possible. However, such a thing is not likely unless there's a large demand for it.
    Last edited by Trevante; 01/09/2009 at 07:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    I think you're talking about two different things. Mass storage functionality isn't meant to replace a memory card or any other storage device.

Mass Storage is just a protocol/standard for your computer to recognize whatever storage device is inside whatever is being connected to it. In this case, the storage device is the Palm Pre's 8GB storage.

Palm could have put in a MicroSD slot and still enabled mass storage functionality - this would mean you could read/write directly to your MicroSD through the Pre without having to take out the MicroSD card and put it in a card reader.
    I understand the difference, I was just explaining what Palm was referring to to Nacho. Third party apps have allowed this on Treos and WM devices for years so it's nice to see native support. I'm just saying although that could be used to transfer documents to a PC for the purpose of backing it, it doesn't resolve the issue I have with not having onboard memory card support. I'm not calling it a deal breaker, but I'm very disappointed by it.
    Needs a card .... Maybe palm missed it, but more then likly they felt 8mb was enough for the average users.

masss torage - like life drive - phone can be used a a usb drive
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Though external storage has been an absolute must for me, I'm going to have to get over that need cuz I'm getting one of these babies. I have outgrown my early adopter phase and will give it several months of deployment before I hop on though.

My concern is that as great as cloud usage is, I still like to have a local backup that I can fully or partially restore my device within minutes even if I'm somewhere with zero signal or other connectivity means.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I have to say that I have used BBVFS for YEARS (!) with my various Treos. When I had to replace my 680 (cause I dropped it real bad) I first reloaded the new one from the BBVFS backup and card. Frankly, it was a mess. I did a hard reset (cause it was new, I had nothing to lose) and reloaded everything by sync with Missing Sync. BANG! Perfect. I was really surprised too.

My point is this: With 8GB of storage and cloud connection, sync is probably a better backup solution--and at least an adequate solution--compared to SD card backup.

On another note, I am really psyched about this device & OS. I think Palm hit it right on--as ARS said, Palm took iPhone to the next level. The hardware looks great. One of the main complaints I have about the iPhone is the lack of physical keyboard and I think the Treo keyboard rocks. And the OS looks like it has lots of potential to really distinguish it from the iPhone and BlackBerry.

I hope that whatever cloud/sync options they offer will sync up with MobileMe & Missing Sync and that it will also work with Lotus Notes (used in my firm).

I also hope Sprint's exclusivity is not too long and that the GSM version comes out soon!!!

And so that we're all clear: When the GSM version comes out, I WILL buy this phone.

Cheers!

avid[Palm]user (since 1998)
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post

OK I stand corrected. I guess this was wishful thinking.

Bummer
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Just the same, a PC application could backup/restore the contents of the Pre to your computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Just the same, a PC application could backup/restore the contents of the Pre to your computer.
    Yes but not when you're away from home and not near a computer. That's what's great about memory cards and programs that can backup to, and restore from them.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast