1.    #1  
    Audio Formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video Formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    Image Formats: GIF, Animated GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP
    A little limiting. No wma? Ogg? FLAC?

Some sort of music sync that dynamically reconverts songs to less bitrate/ smaller files/ compatible formats would be nice too, I can do that in Windows Media Player. I doubt it'll happen, since there doesn't seem to be any desktop sync focus at all, but it'd be nice.
    Now that's a bummer. Uncompressed audio is a must have for me. I can't stand the compressed digital noise that passes as audio today.

Come on CorePlayer or pTunes for webOS.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    We'll probably see this, as posted above, through 3rd party apps. Though for me, it has all the formats I use so I'm good to go. Not big of an audiophile.
    So what's wrong with WAV? Isn't that uncompressed as well?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I would be incredibly shocked if there won't be third party support for all the different media formats. Windows Mobile doesn't support everything under the sun out of the box but through third party apps and codecs I can play just about any standard format on my Mogul. I'm not really worried about native media format support.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    It is still not known if third parties can do low level programs such as adding WMA support to WebOS.

Decoding WMA using interpreted Javascript is going ot be very very slow, and it sounds like Javascript will only have access to a strictly defined set of APIs which probably won't include the low level stuff needed to develop a system-wide codec.

Palm should allow native development so we can have third party enhancements like this. The Javascript model that they have talked about is great for many apps but I can't see it working for many others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    From Wikipedia: Though a WAV file can hold compressed audio, the most common WAV format contains uncompressed audio in the linear pulse code modulation (LPCM) format.

I did not know that...

Just so it's the uncompressed version I'm OK. I'll have to re-rip all my music but that's better than listening to digital noise. I have always used WMA (lossless). I just checked and WMP11 lists WAV (lossless) as an available rip format.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Martin, you should be fine with compressed audio as long as it is lossless compression. MP3s, WMAs, etc are "lossy" compression which throws away data to save space and have lower quality than the original.

FLAC and optionally WAV are "lossless" compression, which sound exactly like the original files. You should be able to do a perfect conversion between FLAC and WAV (or any other lossless file) without losing any quality and without having to re-rip your CDs.

Lossless compression can't compress very much, 2x is about as good as it gets. Lossy compression can compress much more, but it sounds worse the more it is compressed.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    FLAC takes usually 60% of the space of WAV.