View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Ditto Sweet
    Just call me Berd.
    Essential for success! Unlocked please!
    Quote Originally Posted by engadget
    We've just seen a copy of the Pre's press release, and sadly, the 3G GSM version is listed as being intended for "other regions" -- in other words, places not served by Sprint. The good news, we guess, is that we've also confirmed that it's HSDPA, so at least it'll be hauling ***.
    bummer dudes...
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    bummer dudes...
    This will doubtless change eventually.
    well probably, but how long will it take? I'm guessing it'll take a while.
    Look how quick talk of a CDMA Treo Pro was.
    Maybe the wait for a GSM won't be that long after all.
    Just call me Berd.
    Remember, ATT and VZW have sort of turned their respective back's on Palm as of late (ATT did not subsidize the Treo Pro, for example and VZW took the Centro only after it was a major success on Sprint), so those guys are left out in the cold - at least initially.
    Voda?
    Just call me Berd.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Remember, ATT and VZW have sort of turned their respective back's on Palm as of late (ATT did not subsidize the Treo Pro, for example and VZW took the Centro only after it was a major success on Sprint), so those guys are left out in the cold - at least initially.
    You are a 100% correct on that, but if you look at the shear numbers, if i was going CDMA i would go VZW (87.4 million subscribers once the Alltel merger is complete) vs. 50.7 million for Sprint (which INCLUDES Nextel AND Boost - take out Nextel and Boost and they only have 22.2 million subscribers).

And I would probably have come out of the gate with GSM as you have access to over 2.46 BILLION subscribers worldwide.

Everyone knows the Pre has to be a HUGELY successful device for Palm to survive (and it appears by todays launch, they very well may be on the road to recovery). I am sure this will help pull some new subscribers over to Sprint, but sorry, if it was my company (we'd probably be bankrupt already ) I would make the bottom line about numbers, and the acces to the largest pool of subscribers.......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Look how quick talk of a CDMA Treo Pro was.
    Maybe the wait for a GSM won't be that long after all.
    The Treo Pro didn't have an exclusivity contract with a GSM carrier.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Hi

Somewhere among all the webpages i read about the Palm Pre, I seem to remember having seen a picture or text that said something along: "available in first half of 2009 on sprint, and other regions after that".

But i cant seem to find it any more. So i'm guessing 3-6 months after the Sprint version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    The Treo Pro didn't have an exclusivity contract with a GSM carrier.
    I didn't think of that.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    This blows. I guess its to a BB for now from my inefficient 750.
    Unless Android gets going with more to offer.
    Man I was excited for this phone. Hate the BB. iPhone no cut and paste? WTF!!!
    I need a real business phone and hate WM!
    i think palm normally comes out with the CDMA version 1st before GSM 3-6 months after.

Treo 700W before Treo 750
    Treo 800W before Treo Pro
    Pre before Pre GSM

I am curious about the OS and the touchstone charging... waiting for GSM...
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
    Yeah and over 700 Million Cell Uses alone in China.

This will have the guts for the Chinese to use it too.

That is one heck a market.

The issue here will be improving the phone.

The big push in China is to use Video Calling on Mobiles that is why they are pushing so hard to get the latest greatest high speed internet possible and pushing their own standards over the world accepted version.
    Cary Conover
    Principal Systems Consultant
    Friend of Bill W. and Dr. Bob
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    T-Mobile 3095502877@tmomail.net <<---- Easiest method to contact me.
    Yahoo - carydconover@yahoo.com
    Hotmail - caryconover@hotmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    Everyone knows the Pre has to be a HUGELY successful device for Palm to survive (and it appears by todays launch, they very well may be on the road to recovery). I am sure this will help pull some new subscribers over to Sprint, but sorry, if it was my company (we'd probably be bankrupt already ) I would make the bottom line about numbers, and the acces to the largest pool of subscribers.......
    ditto
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Voda?
    I'm hoping that Vodafone or one of the other European carriers will be offering the Pre quite soon.

I've only just bought a Pro though
    Obviously we all don't know nothing about the Sprint deal. But you know GSM is on the horizon. If I were Palm, this would be my plan for USA.

Sprint exclusive for set period (I am praying for 3 months or less)

GSM unlocked issued at same time as European/Asia launch (Early adopters will pay higher $$...good for cash flow)

After a month or so, announce a trade-in to Existng Treo/Centro owners (gets most of us to jump...carrier independent...and clears market of older Palm stuff...sending us off as happy soldiers to convert the masses...and as a bonus sees to it that this older stuff gets properly recycled)

Issue with a GSM carrier to get all of those people we convert and the balance of the "Fat Middle".

Palm....please adopt my plan or hire me to implement it.

Your faithful, patient, and Pre loving pal

Skigs
Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast