View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    There's a good reason to have a GSM version rather than the one with Sprint. I am pretty sure on CDMA you can't be web surfing and emailing while talking at the same time. By contrast, using GSM with an iPhone you can. I don't think it's an iPhone thing, but a limitation of CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    Perhaps T-Mobile will carry the Pre. I believe Pre sales on AT&T will pale in comparison with the iPhone.

I doubt you will see it on any other US carrier for awhile.

WebOS will also be on plenty of other devices and other carriers so eventually it should surpass the Iphone in sales despite the 2 year head start.

The Pre will succeed in its own right regardless if it meets Iphone sales (probably won't) or doesn't. They sold a millon Instincts, which is a pretty ****ty phone comparatively so selling twice as many Pre's should be cake if not many more than that.

They don't have to meet or exceed the Iphone with the Pre. There are going to be plenty of other devices with WebOS and on different carriers. Something Apple does not have nor will for at least another year, probably more since AT&T is trying desperately to extend their contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    There's a good reason to have a GSM version rather than the one with Sprint. I am pretty sure on CDMA you can't be web surfing and emailing while talking at the same time. By contrast, using GSM with an iPhone you can. I don't think it's an iPhone thing, but a limitation of CDMA.

The number of people that surf and talk at the same time are a very small minority. The number of people that would actually switch to another carrier only for that reason are even smaller.
    im on t-mo and would wait, but i find im not using the benefits of gsm. i have had enuf of t-mo sucking in my apartment so i will be moving to the pre and sprint.

now will i move the 1st day its available? that i dont know.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The number of people that surf and talk at the same time are a very small minority. The number of people that would actually switch to another carrier only for that reason are even smaller.
    Agreed. Good point. Still, it is the perception, particularly when the Pre is touted as allowing one to multi-task.
    Does anybody think there will be a GSM version in the near future?
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whodatno View Post
    Yes. But as for the USA, I wouldn't count on a Pre GSM this year.
    Sold on a carrier in the US? Probably not for about 6 months, I'd imagine there's some kind of exclusivity deal (but not for too long since Palm needs the money)

Outside of the US? Who knows.
    I think the exclusivity deal is just for the Pre, not all WebOS phones.
    what about unlocked from palm like the pro is
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    what about unlocked from palm like the pro is
    I don't think they unlock CDMA phones like GSM. Best bet is probably waiting for the Eos which is supposed to be GSM.
    Pre is exclusive in the US until at least 2010. So not for at least 6 months, but probably longer. Best to wait until another WebOS to come out later this year.
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    Best to wait until another WebOS to come out later this year.
    That depends--some places, like Hong Kong, legally require there to be unlocked phones if you're going to sell the phone there at all. So if they get the Pre before the 6 months are up, import dealers (e.g. expansys/MobilePlanet) will be shipping them worldwide.
    Australia's GSM provider is getting the Pre on the 850/1900 band sometime after August. If you google it you should find some articles on it. Shouldn't take too long for it to be unlocked but no telling what it will cost.

Your best bet is just getting it from Sprint.
    Euro Rumor Mill already going strong. o2 UK to release Palm Pre GSM on June 18th ...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...june-18th.html
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 05/21/2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: additional details
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    That depends--some places, like Hong Kong, legally require there to be unlocked phones if you're going to sell the phone there at all. So if they get the Pre before the 6 months are up, import dealers (e.g. expansys/MobilePlanet) will be shipping them worldwide.
    I highly doubt Hong Kong will see a Pre Launch in the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Australia's GSM provider is getting the Pre on the 850/1900 band sometime after August. If you google it you should find some articles on it. Shouldn't take too long for it to be unlocked but no telling what it will cost.

Your best bet is just getting it from Sprint.
    Those were very early rumours that seemed to fizzle out pretty quickly. Having said that I am pretty sure that it is law in Australia for mobile carriers to provide unlocking capability, even if they charge heaps for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    Those were very early rumours that seemed to fizzle out pretty quickly. Having said that I am pretty sure that it is law in Australia for mobile carriers to provide unlocking capability, even if they charge heaps for it.
    Australia "in" August, Telefonica Spain, Mexico, and Latin America in July, and maybe O2 UK in June. That's where a GSM release stands right now. All rumors.
    If I'm hoping November for unlocked in Asia... would that be pushing it??
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayenberg

Telefonica Group and its subsidiaries (O² in UK & Germany, Movistar in Spain and South America) are rumoured to distribute the Pre.
    However, nothing leaked on other countries like here in France or Italy.

If GSM models were that close from being avalaible, guess rumours would have spread much earlier on the name of their carriers.

If GSM models are launched later in the year, probably fall '09, why CDMA launching stocks are that weak?

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well no need of rumours really, we know the GSM Pre exists. It was at MWC, it's an open secret.

Last rumour I heard about the GSM Pre is Telstra getting it in August.
    That's right ToniCipriani, the GSM is mentionned in european pages of Palm site since quite some time.
    We knew Sprint would be the exclusive carrier short after the announcment of the Pre itself; then 6 monthes passed before its release.
    GSM carriers officials (Movistar end Telstra apart) have still made no statment on the device, that was supposed to be launched simultaneously to the CDMA model...

I'm afraid it's gonna be long for Europeans to have their hands on a Pre.
    Hope my 680 will make it till then...
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast