View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    I'm all for it... June is fine by me. I could probably manage to preserve my sanity till that time.

Unfortunately, what ToniCipriani says (that this is based on the April CDMA launch date) is probably correct, and the info is outdated.
    I'm no fan of the iPhone, but I must admit it's the hot ticket. If Apple gets the iPhone 3.0 software out before the Pre launches, I'm afraid that could be a fatal blow. I know a TON of people with iPhones that are considering the Pre/Sprint, but lots of them are excited about the 3.0 software and the features it (finally!) adds. Getting them to jump ship is going to get WAY harder once they've updated. And if Apple hypes this new software like they do all their other products it could be pretty tough for Palm to make some noise. I'm just hoping Palm has some marketing kung-fu up their sleeves and are just waiting to time their campaign perfectly. Apple is going to make the 3.0 release look like the original iPhone launch. The hoopla coming out of Cupertino will be deafening.

Palm announced the Pre and the WebOS a while ago, then went silent. Makes me worry that they'll be too low-key about the final release.
    They announce a GSM model before the CDMA model hits, they are dead in the water. They need the CDMA model to be a success, if everyone knows the GSM is coming and knows when it is coming, both Sprint and Palm will lose revenue. If those Q3 sales figures aren't strong, then the Motley Fool's predictions about Palm being dead soon could come to fruition. Similarly with Sprint. Essentially, if they announce a GSM date before a successful CDMA launch, there will be no GSM anyway because Palm could be fatally wounded before the exclusivity period ends and the penalties of breaking the contract would probably be equally fatal.

A GSM WebOS device will come eventually. I think as with the rumors about release dates in general, patience is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    They announce a GSM model before the CDMA model hits, they are dead in the water. They need the CDMA model to be a success, if everyone knows the GSM is coming and knows when it is coming, both Sprint and Palm will lose revenue. If those Q3 sales figures aren't strong, then the Motley Fool's predictions about Palm being dead soon could come to fruition. Similarly with Sprint. Essentially, if they announce a GSM date before a successful CDMA launch, there will be no GSM anyway because Palm could be fatally wounded before the exclusivity period ends and the penalties of breaking the contract would probably be equally fatal.
    I don't think a GSM version for Europe/Latin America would have much impact on sales of the CDMA version in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I don't think a GSM version for Europe/Latin America would have much impact on sales of the CDMA version in the US.
    It might. Firstly, people might buy grey market GSM Pre's here in the US. Secondly, other people might just wait a bit longer for a US carrier supported version.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    It might. Firstly, people might buy grey market GSM Pre's here in the US. Secondly, other people might just wait a bit longer for a US carrier supported version.
    Exactly. Nobody is saying it won't be coming, but they need the launch to be smooth on the CDMA and that is where all their resources need to be. GSM will come after the CDMA version is in the market and has been settled. The end result will be a delayed GSM Pre, but a GSM Pre that will be better because CDMA users will be able to help find and iron out remaining problems and the App store should be more established when it finally comes. Patience again.

Maybe this analogy will makes you GSM guys feel better, all the CDMA people (myself included) will just be beta-testing for your GSM versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    The Pre is on the Palm UK website as coming soon so I would expect it to follow the Sprint launch fairly closely.
    I think they're just putting it there because they did it for all the Palm websites worldwide. Doesn't seem to mean anything.

But I do hope the unlocked GSM will come in time for November when I'm going to Hong Kong, so I can buy one and bring it back.
    Whats this all about??

Palm Pre Smartphone Unlocked Import at MobileCityOnline.com

Says it will work on US 3g bands (AT&T) also!

MobileCity usually does NOT put something on its site unless its coming soon. It would NOT be on here if this was coming Q4 2009. More like end of Q2 beg. of Q3.
    Retail Price: $899.99
    Our Price:$699.99

Expected Arrival Date
    No ETA at this time
    It looks like a placeholder with price assumptions to me. I really doubt that Palm is going to put the GSM MSRP at $900.

As for the US GSM bands, rumor has it that Telefonica scored the South American/European contract for the Pre, and their South America networks use the same bands as the US GSM networks.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    It looks like a placeholder with price assumptions to me. I really doubt that Palm is going to put the GSM MSRP at $900.

As for the US GSM bands, rumor has it that Telefonica scored the South American/European contract for the Pre, and their South America networks use the same bands as the US GSM networks.
    So there is hope then! The price can change but whats funny is MobileCity has put up pre-release and pre-order phones up WITHOUT set prices. Funny how this one is shown with a price. Again, I order ALOT from them. I have even been to their shop in NYC a few times. They are VERY reliable! They have never let me down with a release or sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Rasp View Post
    Whats this all about??

Says it will work on US 3g bands (AT&T) also!

MobileCity usually does NOT put something on its site unless its coming soon. It would NOT be on here if this was coming Q4 2009. More like end of Q2 beg. of Q3.

That is great news!
    Check this out:

No idea how legit this is, but there it is, a pre-order page for an unlocked GSM Pre! What scares me is the price...$699 is their price and they list hte retail as high as $899? Hopefully something here is an exaggeration, or maybe this is just an overestimation of the real price and they will drop it when Palm releases the real price.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    I saw this on twitter, but this is something interesting when I clicked on the actual link.

Video Capture, Video Clip. Wonder where they heard this at?
    I think there was a topic on this a couple of months ago.
    I'm pretty sure at least this site is new, since palmprescoop.com and everythingpre.com just posted articles about it today.
    It has been up for some time.

They are quite legit, but a somewhat expensive store.

They commonly put up 'not' new phones with their guess as to the price and then revise the listing once they actually have them available. Dont take this to mean anything about the Pre's pricing or availability, they dont have any more knowledge then we do about that right now.
    Is this legit?

i checked expansys... it's listed but no price (and can be pre-ordered... lol)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Does anyone else get the feeling the GSM Palm Pre is going to slip to late 2009 or even early 2010?

It definitely won't be out before new iPhone hardware with iPhone OS 3.0 which is very disappointing. iPhone is available in over 80 countries, seems Pre will be available in 1.

Just get the feeling Palm is going to concentrate on CDMA for NA and do nothing about the much larger global market.
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingBrad View Post
    Does anyone else get the feeling the GSM Palm Pre is going to slip to late 2009 or even early 2010?

It definitely won't be out before new iPhone hardware with iPhone OS 3.0 which is very disappointing. iPhone is available in over 80 countries, seems Pre will be available in 1.

Just get the feeling Palm is going to concentrate on CDMA for NA and do nothing about the much larger global market.
    I understand what you are saying, but if you google CDMA subscribers vs GSM subscribers. There are 2.5 billion using GSM and 465 million using CDMA. The GSM market is too big to miss or not go after. That's what I saw when I googled it. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but if you google CDMA subscribers vs GSM subscribers. There are 2.5 billion using GSM and 465 million using CDMA. The GSM market is too big to miss or not go after. That's what I saw when I googled it. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
    You're right and that's a great fact. Now if somebody could please tell Palm that.
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast