View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I don't know that much about Sprint, but up here in Canada Bell and Telus has a lot of unhappy customers, and I'm a happy camper on Fido. And since CDMA is next to non-existent in other countries, I'm waiting for the GSM/HSDPA version, and I know it'll be a long wait.

Personally I'll be satisfied if it does 850/1900/2100 HSDPA and Quad-band GSM.
    I can't wait for the GSM/HSDPA as well (US). But i highly doubt it will be a tri-band HSDPA. Most are bi-band radio stacks (900,2100), but if you're really lucky you might get Quadband (850,900, 1900, 2100) like the US version of the HTC Touch Pro. I'm crossing my fingers a Quadband HSDPA version of the pre!!
    Last edited by crazyazn23; 04/05/2009 at 02:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    I can't wait for the GSM/HSDPA as well (US). But i highly doubt it will be a tri-band HSDPA. Most are bi-band radio stacks (900,2100), but if you're really lucky you might get Quadband (850,900, 1900, 2100) like the US version of the HTC Touch Pro. I'm crossing my fingers a Quadband HSDPA version of the pre!!
    The Fruit Computers 3G phone has 850/1900/2100. All recent US SE phones in America has 850/1900/2100. So does the upcoming Nokia E75 which comes with 850/1900/2100 (US) or 900/1900/2100 (Euro)... list goes on. It really depends if Palm wants to segregate regions down to the bone, or if Sprint forces them to.

Hell I'll be happy if it's just 850/2100 like the Nokia E51.
    Also if this rumour happens to be true, 850/1900/2100 just seems to be a natural fit:

Telefonica scores global Pre coup?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    Triband is actually much more common. Most chipsets have triband support these days. Those that are only dual band are usually intentionally neutered triband chips.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Triband is actually much more common. Most chipsets have triband support these days. Those that are only dual band are usually intentionally neutered triband chips.
    Good catch!! Triband is becoming more common.
    I am waiting for the Pre in Australia and there are no CDMA networks. I am under contract till December and I think I am going to have to wait until then for it to show up here. I really hope I don't though
    I too wait in Australia, and if previous releases are anything to go by, it'll be 12 months after the USA release, I suspect Apple will steal their thunder everywhere but the USA. Lets hope it's quad band though.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Both hands up!!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I have an unlocked GSM Treo Pro, and I really like it. If they come out with an unlocked GSM PRE, I'll give it a try. I am sure I'll fall in love with it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

As a satisfied T-Mobile user, I can't wait for a GSM version. Hopefully T-Mobile gets a clue and gets this phone! If not, unlocked for me. I would NEVER switch to Sprint.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Would be really nice with a GSM Pre in the near future and Im eager to get my hand on one but I wont decide until I know what will happen with my troublesome Centro.

Offtopic below
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owned a lot of Treos during the years but and never had any problems until I got a Centro. The poor support once something fails really got me thinking if I want to stay with Palm.

I guess this is common with the industry but since a smarthphone is something more than just a phone it will therefor be harder to replace during those weeks its in service. Im tired of sending phones in for repairs and get a faulty unit back. No communication whatsoever with the customer. If I send something in its because its not working, if Palms screening show no errors how about contacting the customer before shipping it back so that they might be able to reproduce the fault?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Nope I like my Sprint service just as it is. Thanks for playing!
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    europe GSM version will be out nearly at the same time as Sprint version. Expect Vodaphone to release it first. Watch Mobile World Congress announcement in February.
    Do you guys think this would still be the case? I really hope so, because I don't like to wait another couple of months before it will be released in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by eafenyes View Post
    The GSM version is sure to come. The big question is weather or not the AT&T or T-Mobile version of 3G will be selected. Those of us who are loyal Treo fans hope we can continue with T-Mobile, the only carrier that was available in the beginning when Treo was Handspring and T-Mobile was Voicestream.
    AT&T's 850/1900 a bit more widely accepted. If Palm was smart, do what the iPhone did, 850/1900/2100 HSDPA + Quad Band GSM, and it should give nice worldwide coverage. Assuming it is going to Telefonica, that seems to make logical sense, since they operate on all 3 HSDPA frequencies.

But it's just my wishful thinking.

I'm voting for more than 1 year though, given how long the Centro took.
    My bet is July or August and not Vodaphone
    Will the GSM launch be a European launch, seeing as how the North American launch will be on Sprint's CDMA network? That would mean an even longer delay before we see the "NAM" version in GSM. Ugh!

Sprint's network is fair at best in my little corner of Northern NJ so there's no way I'm jumping to Sprint for the Pre. I have to wait for a GSM version. But if the first GSM model is a Euro model, waiting even longer for the NAM version is going to kill me!
    Yeah that would be really Ugh! for you.
    I really hope these versions will be released soon after the CDMA release if not at the same time.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    european gsm version will come 1-2 months after the US release.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Will the GSM launch be a European launch, seeing as how the North American launch will be on Sprint's CDMA network? That would mean an even longer delay before we see the "NAM" version in GSM. Ugh!

Sprint's network is fair at best in my little corner of Northern NJ so there's no way I'm jumping to Sprint for the Pre. I have to wait for a GSM version. But if the first GSM model is a Euro model, waiting even longer for the NAM version is going to kill me!
    Palm already stated that Sprint will have exlcusivity in US for the remaining 09, so you won't see a GSM NAM version til sometime next year as the Euro one's 3G isn't compatible with ATT's.
    MWC: Palm Pre Update

Now that Mobile World Congress (MWC) has wrapped up, here is where things stand in regard to Palm's upcoming webOS powered smartphone, the Pre.

Without much fanfare, Palm was showing off a GSM version of the Pre in Barcelona last week. While there was no press release for the GSM Pre last week, the UK Palm website now has a teaser page posted where customers can sign up to be notified by email when the phone is available. Further, clicking on the press release and details links, visitors are redirected to the US Palm website where they can read the press release from this year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES). About the only difference that we can tell about at this point is that there is a GSM version of the Pre on the way for 2009. We also saw pictures of the GSM Pre sporting a Vodafone SIM card.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast