View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    First there will be an International Version... (I hope it has the 1900/850 bands - though i worry it may not have the UMTS bands we use here and only 2100...)
    -I hope my terminology is correct-

After that version, who knows when there will be a USA version. (this Sprint exclusive deal SCARES me... 6 months? longer?)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Maybe they will make that announcement next week in Belgiam... 1Q 2010....
    Mobile World Congress is next week. I expect a GSM version of the PRE to be announced there!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I hadn't seen this anywhere yet and was hoping that the GSM Pre would be triband UMTS/HSDPA, but according to this video it's only dual band. I guess I'll have to wait until we see any official unlocked version for the U.S. Here is the reference in this video of a demo at MWC.

La noche de los "Palm Pre" vivientes, por Carlos Burges | www.faq-mac.com

It's mentioned right at the beginning of the demo after the introductory stuff.
    Bad news if true.

Euro dual band HSPA would be 900/2100 IIRC?

Palm is really making a really silly move to try to segment the market here.
    Really?
    Then again, they are not the FIRST to do this, they will not be the last...

The exclusive contract with Sprint?
    Why would they want to jeopardize that?
    (could be that... may not be that...)

We will not have a USA GSM, hand-set until Palm is good and ready to release it to us... damn shame - but somehow it makes business sense to them.

I think we are a small segment of the cellphone users out there: that buy unbranded, unlocked phones at RETAIL.
    (how many people do you know, teens, adults - who PAY FULL PRICE for their phones OUT OF CONTRACT?)

Those I know fall for cheap/free/phones and they renew their contracts...

Good chance, as usual, it'll have EDGE on our bands... =/
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    1) Yes, this is the strongest claim yet (anything I've seen before has been vague rumor) that the GSM Pre is dual-band. However, it's still just the first claim with any solidity, so it needs to be corroborated.

2) Watch the video again--in the intro, during the music, it shows EV (as in EVDO) on the screen. Since that looks to be a CGI sequence rather than an actual Pre, it's interesting that Palm didn't keep that point neutral (EVDO vs. HSPA), given the Spanish-speaking focus of the site/video and that most Spanish-speaking countries use GSM technologies over CDMA.

If so, it's unfortunate--and not just for us here in the States. Plenty of GSM Garnet users worldwide have been waiting for 3G, since Garnet couldn't do it. And it's bad for international travelers who want an unlocked phone and the ability to put a local SIM card in wherever they go.

I still hope that the person giving the demo got that point wrong.
    Last edited by Q; 02/21/2009 at 07:31 PM.
    There is no way Palm would be so foolish as to make the GSM Pre Dualband only. For that would mean that the phone would not be good for International roaming. The Treo 680 is a quad band phone and I expect the Pre to be no less. In the even that Palm actually has lost it's marbles and the Pre really is just Dual band, then I can assure you they stand to lose a major segment of the market outright.
    Don't tell me this is true. If it is, Palm has shot itself in the foot.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    If it is, HAHA at USA GSM market...and no chance at any ATT iPhone vs. Pre sales.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    There is no way Palm would be so foolish as to make the GSM Pre Dualband only. For that would mean that the phone would not be good for International roaming. The Treo 680 is a quad band phone and I expect the Pre to be no less. In the even that Palm actually has lost it's marbles and the Pre really is just Dual band, then I can assure you they stand to lose a major segment of the market outright.
    Dual band is only in relation to UMTS/HSDPA high speed data. It is still quadband voice and edge data capable.

Dual band UMTS/HSDPA is quite common with different bands depending on the region you are in. It stinks from a global roaming perspective relative to having high speed data wherever you go, but it is quite common. Just look at a number of the HTC phones to see that they do not have North American UMTS/HSDPA support.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I think this is expected. Since Sprint is the only carrier of the Pre until 2009, its no surprise that the 3G band of AT&T and TMobile will not be supported in the GSM Pre. This would give less incentive for people to buy it overseas. However, I still believe you can use the GSM Pre under AT&T and TMobile under 2G and EDGE.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    yes, using it hear for voice and edge data won't be an issue. We just won't get the high speed data and simultaneous voice and data.
  14. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    I think this is expected. Since Sprint is the only carrier of the Pre until 2009, its no surprise that the 3G band of AT&T and TMobile will not be supported in the GSM Pre. This would give less incentive for people to buy it overseas.
    I've raised this in other threads--at least since the Treo 600, all of Palm's GSM phones have been standardized worldwide. The rationale was that one radio per model meant larger orders and better pricing. The 600, 650, 680 and GSM Centro have all been quad-band (GSM/EDGE), and both the Treo 750 and Pro have been both quad and also tri-band for UMTS/HSDPA. Three of those (the 600, 650 and Centro) have been released along with Sprint exclusives in the US, though the timing has varied. So for Palm to go dual-band here is breaking with their history on something that doesn't seem OS related (as compared to leaving out a stylus). Granted, it would seem that they'd follow it up with a US version later, whether on AT&T/T-Mobile or unlocked.

So yes, Palm may want to cut back on the incentive to AT&T users (unless T-Mo is going to carry it, I doubt their unique 1700 mHz frequency would be supported; most unlocked phones don't) to import a Pre. Most users in the US don't even know about unlocked phones as an option, since most stores don't have them, and many would rule it out based on the difference in cost. I really doubt that there are enough techies and international travelers for Palm or Sprint to be that concerned about it. And going dual-band not only means ordering 2 different radios (there goes the volume pricing); it also cuts out the marketing benefit of the Pre as a world phone.

If I'd been in Jon Rubinstein's shoes, I might have even opted for the same radio for the Pre and Treo Pro to further cut the component price.

The one possibility that makes sense to me is that T-Mo is at least possibly going to carry the Pre and so Palm needs to divide the frequencies because it would be too many frequencies (e.g. an expensive custom radio) otherwise. That's pure speculation, though; given that T-Mo hasn't carried a phone from Palm since the Treo 600, though, the likelihood of them carrying the Pre isn't clear.

That said, while the mention of it in the video is enough for me to consider dual-band a possibility, I still haven't seen enough to believe it yet. Not when the only solid indication is from an anonymous presenter. That would take either official specs or corroboration from multiple sources (including some identified ones).
    A software product manager from Palm says UMTS dual band "and" HSDPA 3.6 here in this video: (at 1:30 in video)

MIR Show - Palm Pre hands-on overview (1 of 2) #meetpre | Mobile Industry Review
    Last edited by frantid; 02/23/2009 at 03:44 AM.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Both of these presentations by Palm product managers are a pretty good indication of dual band only. It does seem odd they would go this route since all their previous 3G phones have been tri band, but it certainly seems to be the case. As someone noted earlier, maybe they plan on supporting t-mobile's 1700MHz band in the U.S. All of this is rather disappointing since you lose true global roaming capabilities which may rule it out for me.
  17. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    A software product manager from Palm says UMTS dual band "and" HSDPA 3.6 here in this video: (at 1:30 in video)

MIR Show - Palm Pre hands-on overview (1 of 2) #meetpre | Mobile Industry Review
    True--although the only way I knew who it was was that I had watched the video interview with him on that site and recognized his voice. I was hoping for something with more direct attribution.

So I have to say that dual-band does look more likely than it had (and disappointing). Here's hoping Palm can find a more versatile option for future devices (software-defined radio?) and get back to one standard worldwide.
    It may be wishful thinking, but I took it to mean tri-band. 2 bands in UMTS plus the 1 band in HSDPA, but I have to admit I really have no proof.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    I don't know that much about Sprint, but up here in Canada Bell and Telus has a lot of unhappy customers, and I'm a happy camper on Fido. And since CDMA is next to non-existent in other countries, I'm waiting for the GSM/HSDPA version, and I know it'll be a long wait.

Personally I'll be satisfied if it does 850/1900/2100 HSDPA and Quad-band GSM.
    I wait as well. -- in Iceland

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast