View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    My Treo650 is an unlocked GSM, which I prefer, and some of the apps. that I apparently will now have to get 'signed' (bunch of crap IMO) are MobiTV, GPS, pTunes, TCPMP, Worldmate, and various other smaller apps such as TideTool, etc.

Also, with the new GUI, will TealScript work (for scripting onscreen with a wand/fingertip), or is this just keyboard only?

Greg
    European Bands: 1800 / 900 vs 1900 / 850 and 2100 for 3G or 850 (at&t) for 3G... would PALM manufacture a phone so that limited bands would limit buyers willing to import this phone into the U.S.???

(we must wait and see...)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg_P1OS21 View Post
    European Bands: 1800 / 900 vs 1900 / 850 and 2100 for 3G or 850 (at&t) for 3G... would PALM manufacture a phone so that limited bands would limit buyers willing to import this phone into the U.S.???

(we must wait and see...)
    Unfortunately for many, I would bet yes. That would probably be where the whole "EDGE only" rumor came from. In Europe, it'll be fully capable of UMTS or HSDPA but in the US, it'd be EDGE only because of the different bands.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten. Though maybe a few months after the European GSM launch maybe then they'll release a US GSM version.
    Once Sprint exclusivity ends... most likely (I hope).
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Let the speculation commence! How soon before we see the GSM version of the Pre? Normally I'd say 6 months. But with Palm clinging to life and needing as big a target audience as possible for their new OS, I don't think they can afford to wait 6 months. Even 3 months is an eternity in the cell phone biz. I'm guessing 2 months, tops.
    I stand by 6 months, I think Sprint will have this exclusive for at least 6 months. Sprint will be very important in this partnership as well, if they can subside the Pre more significantly, it will be a HUGE HIT, i mean, HUGE, sprint has 30m users, get good sales isn't hard even within sprint network, as long as the price is right, and marketing is right. After all, this is best smartphone in the market.

I agree palm needs target as big as it can get, thats why I proposed WebOS PDA.
    Assuming you mean GSM model sold in the US, more than 6 months
    I would like to see that No HSDPA Rumor put to rest.
    Otherwise, I don't care when it's released, I won't be getting one.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I would like to see that No HSDPA Rumor put to rest.
    Otherwise, I don't care when it's released, I won't be getting one.
    It is very likely that a GSM version will be released in Europe not long after the CDMA Sprint version. However, since it will be a European version, it probably won't have the right 3G radio for North America.
    The GSM version is sure to come. The big question is weather or not the AT&T or T-Mobile version of 3G will be selected. Those of us who are loyal Treo fans hope we can continue with T-Mobile, the only carrier that was available in the beginning when Treo was Handspring and T-Mobile was Voicestream.
    My guess is for 3 months after the initial release on Sprint.

Apples nex iPhone will be debuting this summer, reportedly, and I think Palm probably struck a deal to not prevent them from precluding that competitive entry into the GSM market.

I think.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Assuming you mean GSM model sold in the US, more than 6 months

I agree. Maybe Europe by the end of the year.
    europe GSM version will be out nearly at the same time as Sprint version. Expect Vodaphone to release it first. Watch Mobile World Congress announcement in February.
    Global Posts
    20,084 Global Posts
    I would have to say more than 6 months.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    It is very likely that a GSM version will be released in Europe not long after the CDMA Sprint version. However, since it will be a European version, it probably won't have the right 3G radio for North America.
    Of course, we don't know that. In the past, Palm Treo's that were released in Europe, had the US 3G frequencies in them. I don't think Palm has the resources to produce multiple versions of the same phone. That is why I am thinking that the European version with be Tri-band HSPA with (probabaly) the ATT band in them.

Just speculation, of course.

Regarding release, I am saying 3-6 months. Palm can't afford to wait to get this phone on as many carriers as possible.
    Jeff
    I think Vodafone 2 months after and Unlocked from Palm 6 months after...
    I'm wondering if there is any word on, or plans for an unlocked Pre.

I'm on T-mobile (dropped Sprint 8 years ago due to bad service, and plus, they were supposed to invest in the company I work at, but backed off - effectively forcing a mass layoff)

Therefore, I would prefer an unlocked GSM for international use.

Any news?

Greg
    No news yet, we don't know when the Sprint one is even coming out yet.....
    Didn't they mention second half or end of the year at CES? Either way, it will be a while.
    Last edited by MannyZ28; 02/08/2009 at 04:50 PM.
  20. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Didn't them mention second half or end of the year at CES? Either way, it will be a while.
    While I think Ed C. said after the Sprint one, I don't think he was that specific. Here's hoping for (somewhat) sooner rather than later.
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast