View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Yes it is. The ability to use a SIM card does not mean GSM is more advanced. CDMA is still a better/newer technical standard for data transmission and telecommunication.

I can understand wanting GSM if you travel the world a lot. But beyond that, why would anyone wait for a GSM Pre to get a Pre?
    3G GSM actually uses CDMA technology and supports simultaneous voice and data so it seems more advanced to me. Any GSM Pre will included this technology.

Aside from international travel, the only reason someone might prefer unlocked GSM is to avoid signing an expensive contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    3G GSM actually uses CDMA technology and supports simultaneous voice and data so it seems more advanced to me. Any GSM Pre will included this technology.

Aside from international travel, the only reason someone might prefer unlocked GSM is to avoid signing an expensive contract.
    Plus CDMA phones are "basically" locked to the carrier you buy them from. (I realize there are places that will flash your ROM to any carrier, like MetroPCS, Cricket...etc...)
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post

And not to mention the lack of carrier neutering... I mean... branding.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Plus CDMA phones are "basically" locked to the carrier you buy them from. (I realize there are places that will flash your ROM to any carrier, like MetroPCS, Cricket...etc...)
    Plus if your battery is dead and you are waiting for an important call or urgently need to call someone but don't have a spare battery or charger at hand you can just pop your SIM card in any GSM phone and go.
    So I guess so much for GSM announcing today... it's mid-day in UK already.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Local media here says it'll be available in UK, Ireland an Spain, on the 30. October.

handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1996

Great Launch Palm!

When will American producers learn that European mobile customers won't be dictated like their American counterparts ?
    Reseller copy and paste fail... UK version with "3G EVDO Rev. A"

According to this Bite Communications (bite_uk) on Twitter the doors just opened a couple of hours ago (don't know why) and the Pre is definitely there!

Don't know if there'll be any news out of the whole thing though. We'll just have to wait and see...AGAIN
    Quote Originally Posted by symos View Post
    According to this twitter the doors just opened a couple of hours ago (don't know why) and the Pre is definitely there!

Don't know if there'll be any news out of the whole thing though. We'll just have to wait and see...AGAIN
    So do we have any news from this event yet? Seriously people are getting fed up waiting for a UK release date inlcuding myself. I'm honestly contemplating going for one of the other smart phones on the market just now. How hard is it to give us a date
    Quote Originally Posted by PreUK View Post
    So do we have any news from this event yet? Seriously people are getting fed up waiting for a UK release date inlcuding myself. I'm honestly contemplating going for one of the other smart phones on the market just now. How hard is it to give us a date
    Ha. At least Palm is presenting a live model for your country. We here in the US are still waiting for Palm to announce that they'll make a GSM version for the US market. Right now it is all speculation over here.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    hey u HAVE a palm pre, atleast
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    @PreUK make that a euro release in general. In Holland there's even no carrier known that will offer the thing.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Apart from Canada and NA don't hold your breath

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post1897153
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Quote Originally Posted by mencho View Post
    Your source?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Ive been told that there wont be one this year but I doubt it would take until april.

If thats the case they might as well wait with a launch until they have an upgraded model as the Pre will be "old" by then.
    Well, I will tell you my story.

When I bought my treo 680 unlocked it was exactly the 21 April 2005/6 not sure, but the GSM version was launched a few months ago, and the GSM unlocked came after ,with a promo of 1GB SD plus a CD with free software. The Treo 650 was there yet, on Palm web site. Not yet the Centro. And as Andreas said, maybe for April 2010 we will have a new model IMHO
    Palm have updated some of their European sites, so it's likely to be launching the GSM Pre pretty soon. I also noticed that they've changed the 3G symbol from a "H" icon to a "3G" one. They're obviously still tweaking the software, so maybe it's still not quite ready yet.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius42 View Post
    Palm have updated some of their European sites, so it's likely to be launching the GSM Pre pretty soon. I also noticed that they've changed the 3G symbol from a "H" icon to a "3G" one. They're obviously still tweaking the software, so maybe it's still not quite ready yet.
    ??? It would show both in europe anyway?
    Well it could be a new icon added to distinguish UMTS and HSDPA coverage. I know Nokia S60 phones do that, when there's HSDPA it turns the icon to "3.5G", and when only UMTS it's "3G"

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well it could be a new icon added to distinguish UMTS and HSDPA coverage. I know Nokia S60 phones do that, when there's HSDPA it turns the icon to "3.5G", and when only UMTS it's "3G"
    Ah, I hadn't thought of that.
    Nooooooo!!!!!

Euro Pre is Euro HSDPA Dualband only!!!!!

o2 Palm Pre – Technische Daten PDF | Palm Pre Ticker
    http://www.phone-ticker.de/downloads...sche_daten.pdf

No US Bands!!! Guess it's still GSM quadband, still useable, just no high speed.

unless if I'm wrong and it's actually 850/2100

Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Well, I will tell you my story.

When I bought my treo 680 unlocked it was exactly the 21 April 2005/6 not sure, but the GSM version was launched a few months ago, and the GSM unlocked came after ,with a promo of 1GB SD plus a CD with free software. The Treo 650 was there yet, on Palm web site. Not yet the Centro. And as Andreas said, maybe for April 2010 we will have a new model IMHO
    Hello-I have never owned a treo and have a pocketpc I was using mainly as an ebook reader-had to replace the battery abd now it will not work without being plugged in-can anyone tell me if I buy an unlocked treo 650 can I use it as a pda only without having to spend money with a provider? Also is it a good mobipocket and pdf format reader?

Thanks so much!!!