View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    The new Palm Pre will go on sale in European countries during the first half of this year, the same time frame as for the U.S., Palm CEO Ed Colligan said in a brief interview.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15676..._says_ceo.html
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    You are a 100% correct on that, but if you look at the shear numbers, if i was going CDMA i would go VZW (87.4 million subscribers once the Alltel merger is complete) vs. 50.7 million for Sprint (which INCLUDES Nextel AND Boost - take out Nextel and Boost and they only have 22.2 million subscribers).

And I would probably have come out of the gate with GSM as you have access to over 2.46 BILLION subscribers worldwide.

Everyone knows the Pre has to be a HUGELY successful device for Palm to survive (and it appears by todays launch, they very well may be on the road to recovery). I am sure this will help pull some new subscribers over to Sprint, but sorry, if it was my company (we'd probably be bankrupt already ) I would make the bottom line about numbers, and the acces to the largest pool of subscribers.......
    I don't disagree with anything you said - but, think about it. ATT has the Jesus phone and all the Blackberry's they can stock and all of the WM devices that mean anything. Palm has been a disappointment to everyone (carriers and clients) for the past 3 years, so I am sure ATT gave not positive reinforcements for Palm to jump on the GSM bandwagon for this device.

And Verizon, being the big-headed carrier they are with a new BB touch screen device coming to the market probably did not even return Ed's calls. And Verizon would have also slowed down the process due to their over-controlling nature. I think the one time Verizon got the jump on Sprint was for the 700w - and we know how that turned out.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    The new Palm Pre will go on sale in European countries during the first half of this year, the same time frame as for the U.S., Palm CEO Ed Colligan said in a brief interview.

A little history first: Palm used to release their phones as unlocked GSM phones first (Phone, 127, 360, 600, 650) but then it was a VERY long time (years) before the PRO appeared. Palm gave up on unlocked phones for quite a few models. Being in bed with ("rent a phone for the rest of the world") Sprint doesn't give me a good feeling about unlocked GSM "real soon".
    As one of the comments in the PCWorld article states I also use pay-as-you-go SIM cards. I do not want to be locked into a phone company anywhere in the world. And yes, I will pay full price for the right phone.
    My unlocked 650 is getting old and starting to fall apart. Waiting for "maybe sometime" or "get an account in Europe" doesn't cut it. I hate to say it but I think Palm is about to lose a loyal customer.
    I live in Puerto Rico, which is a US territory in the Caribbean. And even though Palm didn't provide the GSM-Treo Pro in USA for sale with any GSM provider (only unlocked), they did made it available ("locked") eventually to Puerto Rico for GSM-provider Claro.

My guess is that Claro will probably have the Pre for sale here shortly after Palm makes available a GSM version. So maybe it will not be (if my guess is right) for European carriers only.

Can't wait for the GSM-Claro version ... or at least an unlocked one.
    Last edited by Cheker; 01/09/2009 at 09:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johngstevens View Post
    A little history first: Palm used to release their phones as unlocked GSM phones first (Phone, 127, 360, 600, 650) but then it was a VERY long time (years) before the PRO appeared. Palm gave up on unlocked phones for quite a few models. Being in bed with ("rent a phone for the rest of the world") Sprint doesn't give me a good feeling about unlocked GSM "real soon".
    As one of the comments in the PCWorld article states I also use pay-as-you-go SIM cards. I do not want to be locked into a phone company anywhere in the world. And yes, I will pay full price for the right phone.
    My unlocked 650 is getting old and starting to fall apart. Waiting for "maybe sometime" or "get an account in Europe" doesn't cut it. I hate to say it but I think Palm is about to lose a loyal customer.
    do you mean the treo 180 and treo 270?...
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post

Nice. I may end up buying a European phone, especially if Sprint requires a Simply Everything 2 year contract. That is $2400 right there before you even buy the phone. I believe it is illegal to sell a carrier-locked phone in Europe, and phone subsidies/contracts are not as popular over there, so it should be possible.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wongster View Post
    do you mean the treo 180 and treo 270?...
    Yes, quick typing and short memory ( i would have to go down in the basement to look in the "old tech" boxes)
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I believe it is illegal to sell a carrier-locked phone in Europe
    It's not illegal, it's just in some countries, they also make you provide an unlocked version as well - so in france you can buy an unlocked iphone for... $1000.

phone subsidies/contracts are not as popular over there, so it should be possible.
    They are very popular in some countries (the UK for example)
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    First, Palm will release a GSM version in the US after the exclusivity period with Sprint ends. As someone pointed out somewhere, it was 4 months with the Centro. Not sure what it will be with the Pre.

Second, if the GSM version becomes available in Europe, we might be able to buy it and use it on AT&T in the US. I guess that depends on the locked/unlocked thing, but in some countries, they only sell the unlocked versions. (At least I think --no hope--so.)

Don't jump ship. We've been patient for a long time. My 680 will last a few more months. The good news is that we have something awesome to look forward to owning.

aviduser
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    Could not agree more!!! My 680 will certainly hold. But my envy of just about everyone else is still high and now that this thing is very close on the horizon.....I feel like I am driving a 1982 K car in a Prius kind of world. I am getting where I need to go but could really go for some style and wow.

I want this thing GSM (company pays the actual cell phone bill but lets us pick our poison for phones) NOW!!!!

Feel like I am in Purgatory awaiting delivery to the higher plane.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Do you really think that Sprint will only get the exclusive for 3 months? I bet we don't see a US GSM model until 2010.
  12. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    You can't just make a GSM phone with 4 frequencies anymore, as in the US, AT&T and T-Mo have implemented 3G data differently - at the radio/hardware level as best I understand it.
    Does anyone know what the 3G data standard in Europe is? Does it match ATT, TMo, or neither?

I'm past my contract w/ATT, but when we had Sprint -about 4-5 years ago - there were two HUGE issues:
    1. Didn't work well at my home or business in KY(and was under 50% all along major route 1 through most of NJ too for that matter). Maybe more antennas have fixed that, not sure.
    2. The WAY the technology failed to place and/or dropped calls - was extremely frustrating at a couple of levels. First, it would take 30-60 seconds for a call initiation to fail, and would similarly hang in limbo for this long on a dropped call. Secondly, it would do this "hang for 30-60 seconds" but then drop 98% of the time. With GSM, I might go silent for 0-20 seconds, but usually the call wouldn't drop, WAY less frustrating. Anyone know, is this still the case?

ADS
    Last edited by ads; 01/09/2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typos
    FWIW, CDMA does mean that Palm can target the Japanese market quite effectively, too.
    When will there be an unlocked GSM version of Pre? I presume a year from now...

...also, how many of my current apps running on my 650 will still run on the updated OS on the Pre?
    <guess I'll have to contact the various devs individually to see if they are updating or not>

Pre is the first Palm device I've considered purchasing in over 3 years.

Greg
    For Europe, sooner than that.

NONE of your current apps will run on WebOS (yet - but may have to depend on a 3rd party developer); I have been contacting developers of my favorite Palm OS software.

-BETTER HOPE Palm provides a GOOD SDK/API access-

I've been hanging on to my T680... hated seeing the iPhone and various Blackberries come and go...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Very happy with my 680 - but would switch if unlocked GSM came out.
    Pre will be UTMS/HSDPA which is the high data rate follow-on to GSM. I'm not sure how prevalent UTMS/HSDPA is in Europe but it is only present in select metropolitan cities in the US and not even in the suburbs of those areas. If there is sufficient build-out of UTMS/HSDPA in Europe, then I'd agree with jmg_P1OS21 that it would be very soon in Europe. If you were willing to pay the unlocked price and duties to import to the USA, then it would be a very nice device in the states where AT&T UTMS/HSDPA service is available. My guess is that this will fall back to GSM but you wouldn't be able to use any of the web applications and the phone at the same time on GSM. (My guess is that UTMS/HSDPA is probably 1-2 years out in the states.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I am willing to pay to import the phone, but as usual, what BANDS will it use...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg_P1OS21 View Post
    I am willing to pay to import the phone, but as usual, what BANDS will it use...
    I thought "UTMS/HSDPA" was the "band". I think this will drop down to GSM (but maybe you should research that yourself as I really don't need to know myself. Just trying to help point you in the right direction.)

Regarding being able to talk and use the data connection on GSM, I was wrong. People say that's already possible.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    When using GSM on an EDGE connection, you can either talk or use data, not both at the same time. If you have 3G connectivity (HSDPA), you can talk and use data at the same time.

Alternatively, you can be talking on the phone and use WiFi for data if you're not in a 3G coverage area.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast