View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 LastLast
    I was hoping to import an unlocked Pre from Bell Canada when it comes out later this month, to use here in the UK with my O2 sim (I just cant wait any longer for this damn thing, and 'before xmas' doesnt sound very close to me!)

But from what you've said this might not work?

Can anyone clarify this for me?
    Or when/how will we know if this is the case?

Cheers,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Not liking this.

If you look down on the list, search for P100UEU. Next to it shows another part number P100UNA.

I have a feeling that means there are two part numbers for GSM, and the EU version will not work with NA bands...

But line of hope though: Treo Pro has two part numbers T850UEU and T850UNA but I think there's only one version that's 850/1900/2100.

CDMA is P100EWW BTW...
    Because if there are two versions, it might be like:

1) GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and HSDPA 850/1900 - For North America
    2) GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and HSDPA 2100 - For Europe

Hence you can only use HSDPA one place or the other, it won't support the right frequencies.

Nokia is notorious for that. But based Palm's track record on the Treo Pro and 750, it could be one version for GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and HSDPA 850/1900/2100, which pretty much works everywhere. And as Dieter says it makes more sense this way because it'll be much easier for Palm to inventory, since there's only one version of the hardware.

And the Bell version is CDMA btw...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Gah - I foolishly assumed that the Bell version would be GSM! Amatuer.
    So what is the deal with a north american GSM release then? Different carrier? No scheduled release date? Xmas cant come fast enough then I guess, been hanging out for one since announcement!

Thanks for clearing that up...

J
    The SKUs were as far as I got. I still have my money on the Oct 30 O2 rumour though.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

I wonder if these rumors of slowing sales of the Pre will somehow cancel the exclusivity agreement with Sprint and allow other carriers like Verizon and AT&T to carry the Pre? Does Sprint have to sell a certain number of units in order to maintain the agreement with Palm? If so, Palm may be able to break the agreement with Sprint and allow other carriers in the US to carry the Pre. I'm waiting for the day that AT&T will have a WebOS device finally!
    Nobody knows the actual sales numbers right now other than Sprint or Palm, let alone contract details.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Open source is a beautiful thing

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    lol didnt even see that!
    Open source is a beautiful thing
    cool!
    So maybe SOME sort of announcement for GSM or unlocked in US sometime before next Summer?

I can only assume that GSM-only will come first, for Verizon, etc. and then unlocked afterwards.

Greg
    That's the first time I have seen yellow antenna tape in any phone.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I have from a relatively reliable source, that if you go here Palm.com : About Palm and look at which country sites are updated and which are not, that you can see who will be getting the pre in the near future.

For all you aussies, .... that doesn't include us :-(
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

In that case you might as well follow Palm, Inc. - Investor Relations, the press releases are even faster than that.

The Pre launched today in Canada, yet they still haven't changed the website to reflect that, just still says "Available on Aug 27".

Another example was when I bought my Centro in Hong Kong, it was available in stores even before it was updated on their Hong Kong website.

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post

For all you aussies, .... that doesn't include us :-(
    So much for the "Telstra's getting it in August" rumour! It would be nice it somebody else got it anyway.
    Last edited by johncc; 08/28/2009 at 05:16 AM.
    Apparently Bluetooth SIG doesn't like us snooping around, they removed the Pre from the compatibility list I was mentioning a while ago...

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Unlocked version wont hit Europe this year.

Not that much of a shock since a locked version always gets a few months of a head start.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Source?

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Source?
    Ive booked a Pre through my reseller and when I spoke to them regarding a different matter the representative noticed my order and told me that they just had news that there would be no unlocked Pre until next year, not even a christmas launch.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Resellers are clueless... We've heard resellers say August, then as August ends they start saying by September. We've even heard resellers say they have it "in stock".

no my friend was referring to the homepage, not the content, just the layout :-)

So that would be USA, Canada, Germany, Spain, UK & Ireland. Have or will have the Pre. No one else at the moment.
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 08/31/2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: clarity
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3