View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Well, would it? I expect it will be SIM-locked. So first a hack is needed. Secondly I'm wondering whether your Palm Profile will give yourself away when you're using it on a different operator than you're supposed to and worse whether Palm could block you.

I would love to import a UK Pre to Holland as well (no official word in Holland yet who's to release). But first these things need to be clear.
    Well you would just buy it unlocked then. Even the iPhone can be bought officially unlocked from major electronics retailers in the UK. The advantage of buying it via the carrier is the subsidy that generally means that even the most expensive phones are free on £30 or £35 per month tariffs.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I could have told you this Aus site advert was bogus before you contacted Palm. If it is to be released in Aus in a week from now there would have been more news out there and some PRPRPR/$adverts$ $popping$ $up$ $i$.$e$. $Big$ $Bill$ $Boards$ $with$ $PRE$ $coming$ $soon$.

I am as enthusiastic as you and want an Aus provided PRE but am realistic that the best delivery date will be just before the end of the year (possibly November). This would give Palm a month of PRPRPR $to$ $gather$ $consumer$ $interest$.

I have been waiting for the device but have recently decided it is better to arrive in the GSM world once it has a decent app catalogue. Without it the impact on the GSM world would be at best a trajic lack of impact.

Once it has an app catalogue it will be readily and easily compared to the iPhone and will win as many reviews as it loses.

No other phone will have done that!

NOW THERE's CONSUMER INTEREST FOR YOU!
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Thing is, in that blog that guy called that company and actually "promised" a date. I would be interested to just see what happens on that day.

That's why I said I have my salt shaker ready... because I take it with a grain of salt.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I understand. I'll just take a bit more of an extreme stance and pretty much call it as a bogus claim by the supplier. They are just trying to get you in early for a product they don't know when and even if they are getting
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Rumor: O2 UK Getting The Palm Pre On October 30th?

According to this its the 30th of October - I doubt that.

But what I don't doubt is that the pricing will be the same as the Iphone - this is a big mistake by Palm for letting o2 have both the phones.

If the Pre was with another operator then it would receive a major push but o2 are really only interested in removing the competition to the Iphone -which the Pre was the main competitor.

Now if you want the Pre you will end up paying similar prices to the Iphone - in the end many will just go for the Iphone. This is a big big error on Palm part = they should have played off one operator against another.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    So o2 have the iPhone!
    How can Palm make such a mistake !!!!!!!

How eager and well trained in comparison to the iPhone will the sales folk be to push the PRE - NOT VERY MUCH!!

o2>"Good morning sir how can I help?"
    Customer>"I would like to buy a touch screen phone"
    o2>"Well sir we have the iPhone you know"
    Customer>"I see what does it do"................

7. Duo
    Yes, I saw that last night and I wondered what they were smoking. If the Pre is the same price as the iPhone then it's dead in the UK.

Asking people to pay £185 on top of committing to an 18 month contract at £35 per month (600mins + 500 texts) will kill it especially since it will be up against the iPhone and free phones from O2 and all the other carriers.

I wonder if there really is a cheaper 8GB iPhone 3GS coming as has been rumored or if the Pre will competing directly with the 16GB 3GS.

Either way I think it will be "NO SALE". For this phone to move it needs to be a free phone on that tariff like most of the other phones on UK carriers (at around the £30-£35 per month level phones are usually free).

I believe that going with O2 exclusively in the UK is a mistake and that going with Sprint exclusively in the USA was a mistake. I do wonder though, if these operators agreed to pay Palm a percentage of the price of each phone up front - enough to cover the manufacturing costs thus helping Palm out of a financial bind.

Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Rumor: O2 UK Getting The Palm Pre On October 30th?

According to this its the 30th of October - I doubt that.

But what I don't doubt is that the pricing will be the same as the Iphone - this is a big mistake by Palm for letting o2 have both the phones.

If the Pre was with another operator then it would receive a major push but o2 are really only interested in removing the competition to the Iphone -which the Pre was the main competitor.

Now if you want the Pre you will end up paying similar prices to the Iphone - in the end many will just go for the Iphone. This is a big big error on Palm part = they should have played off one operator against another.
    Actually October 30 wouldn't be THAT much of a surprise. Isn't that when the carrier agreement was first announced O2 Germany "leaked" it was coming in October?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

9. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    To this and previous folks from the US thinking "I'll buy an unlocked from O2". The way 3G data is implemented isn't even the same in the US between T-mob and AT&T. You can call, and fairly positive you can do GPRS, but High speed, no, with hardware between these carriers. So it isn't just the old school quad band frequency question. I've no idea if the O2 implementation works on either AT&T or T-mob, or if they're all mutually exclusive. Further, I highly expect this is in the radio firmware, not something a WebOS or unix hacker could affect.

While in Brazil 2 years ago, I couldn't get my 680 to make a call with a local SIM either and they sold Treo 680s at the time. Turns out the US 680 was different there to accomodate an older type SIM. From memory, they were on 32 bit SIMs, my US Treo was 64 bit SIM (maybe it was 16 and 32 bit, but you get the drift). Data worked fine (uber expensive), and my US SIM worked, but obviously that's expensive. It was confusing as the phone would connect to several networks, but wouldn't call, took a while to sort this out. I was bummed that GSM isn't always GSM, no local SIM for me!

Upshot: best make sure a non-US Pre will fully work in the US. Without high speed data, I'd never consider it. I'm hopeful we'll see native US version by first of year-I've waited this long....

ADS
    Last edited by ads; 08/12/2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Removed incorrect post quote-point is the same
  10. Duo
    As I said in an earlier post, it looks like the UK GSM version will use 850/1900/2100 for 3G. If this is the case then the UK/EU GSM version will also work on AT&T for 3G data.

Quote Originally Posted by ads View Post
    To this and previous folks from the US thinking "I'll buy an unlocked from O2". The way 3G data is implemented isn't even the same in the US between T-mob and AT&T. You can call, and fairly positive you can do GPRS, but High speed, no, with hardware between these carriers. So it isn't just the old school quad band frequency question. I've no idea if the O2 implementation works on either AT&T or T-mob, or if they're all mutually exclusive. Further, I highly expect this is in the radio firmware, not something a WebOS or unix hacker could affect.

While in Brazil 2 years ago, I couldn't get my 680 to make a call with a local SIM either and they sold Treo 680s at the time. Turns out the US 680 was different there to accomodate an older type SIM. From memory, they were on 32 bit SIMs, my US Treo was 64 bit SIM (maybe it was 16 and 32 bit, but you get the drift). Data worked fine (uber expensive), and my US SIM worked, but obviously that's expensive. It was confusing as the phone would connect to several networks, but wouldn't call, took a while to sort this out. I was bummed that GSM isn't always GSM, no local SIM for me!

Upshot: best make sure a non-US Pre will fully work in the US. Without high speed data, I'd never consider it. I'm hopeful we'll see native US version by first of year-I've waited this long....

ADS
    Last edited by Duo; 08/12/2009 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    As I said in an earlier post, it looks like the UK GSM version will use 850/1900/2100 for 3G. If this is the case then the UK/EU GSM version will also work on AT&T for 3G data.
    If the UK Pre is a quad band device, 3G will work using it in the US.

More realistic issue at hand is whether AT&T has implemented the technology in your area. Do some research, talk to some iPhone 3G S users. guesstimate about 10 % of AT&T's cell sites have been upgraded to date! Why buy an o2 Pre for use here in the USA with those numbers?
    Quadband refers to the 2G GSM frequencies, 850/900/1800/1900, and has nothing to do with 3G...

13. Duo
    I take it that you mean a Tri-band 3G device since we don't normally see quand-band 3G devices although most smartphones these days are quad-band GSM. However you need to be careful here because you could have a 900/1700/2100 device which would be a European, Asian and T-Mobile USA device.

I'd say that AT&T's coverage was a lot more than 10% of their own cell sites, more like 25-30% (I'm excluding partner networks). Still really poor but they do have 3G coverage in most major cities. T-Mobile's 3G coverage is considerably worse and makes AT&T look like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    If the UK Pre is a quad band device, 3G will work using it in the US.

More realistic issue at hand is whether AT&T has implemented the technology in your area. Do some research, talk to some iPhone 3G S users. guesstimate about 10 % of AT&T's cell sites have been upgraded to date! Why buy an o2 Pre for use here in the USA with those numbers?
    Quote Originally Posted by carydc View Post
    Yeah and over 700 Million Cell Uses alone in China.

This will have the guts for the Chinese to use it too.

That is one heck a market.

The issue here will be improving the phone.

The big push in China is to use Video Calling on Mobiles that is why they are pushing so hard to get the latest greatest high speed internet possible and pushing their own standards over the world accepted version.

Wonder how long till we start seeing some cheep crap clone pre's from china ?

Not liking this.

Gadget Guide - Searchable List

If you look down on the list, search for P100UEU. Next to it shows another part number P100UNA.

I have a feeling that means there are two part numbers for GSM, and the EU version will not work with NA bands...

But line of hope though: Treo Pro has two part numbers T850UEU and T850UNA but I think there's only one version that's 850/1900/2100.

CDMA is P100EWW BTW...
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 08/14/2009 at 08:56 AM.

And another thing for view pleasure... GSM Pre North America's Wi-Fi Certification:

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_...hp?cid=WFA7708

Nothing we don't know though.

So I popped back to see my friend at the O2 store and the official line is now Q4 rollout with training for store staff to begin sometime in early October for the Pre to be on sale later in the month or early November. But the worrying aspect was that the staff would always push the Iphone first because they receive higher commission
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    So I popped back to see my friend at the O2 store and the official line is now Q4 rollout with training for store staff to begin sometime in early October for the Pre to be on sale later in the month or early November. But the worrying aspect was that the staff would always push the Iphone first because they receive higher commission
    I kinda doubt Pre buyers are the ones who actually listen to sales people at big-box stores.

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I kinda doubt Pre buyers are the ones who actually listen to sales people at big-box stores.
    I am sorry but the point the previous poster is very valid when it comes to affecting the sales of the PRE (which I would assume we care about).

There are many people who would have purchasded this phone had it not been for the uneven incentives. This could be quite bad for Palm.