View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Because of economies of scale. AWS 1700 is used by so few networks, it's not really of interest for manufacturers to create devices that has the band, unless the carrier specifically ask.

See for yourself: site:www.gsmworld.com 3G1700 - Google Search

Look for networks that say 3G1700.

There's nothing to stop you to use a quadband handset though, it will still work, just not in UMTS 3G.
    And with that it kinda defeats the purpose of it.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Because of economies of scale. AWS 1700 is used by so few networks, it's not really of interest for manufacturers to create devices that has the band, unless the carrier specifically ask.

See for yourself: [link removedl]

Look for networks that say 3G1700.

There's nothing to stop you to use a quadband handset though, it will still work, just not in UMTS 3G.
    Aren't the AT&T 3G frequencies equally idiosyncratic to the U.S.?
    Quote Originally Posted by cb474 View Post
    But the bands are used in the rest of the world as well. Which means the manufacturer will have better reach globally.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFusion42 View Post
    I just found something interesting while looking at one of the Pre's firmware images. It is a list of worldwide GSM/CDMA carriers and what looks like NAM identifiers. The indentation is done by me, as a 'best guess', so the list probably has some hierarchy issues, sorry about that.

Here it is:

[CUT]

That's all!
    This list is out of date.
    Btw I think we will se a Pre in Western Europe within a couple of months
    at least is written in mypre.com

will be?

p.s. i´m new in here
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cb474
    But the bands are used in the rest of the world as well. Which means the manufacturer will have better reach globally.
    That's not what I meant by saying AT&T's 3G frequencies are idiosyncratic to the U.S. I meant the frequencies AT&T uses are not used elsewhere, any more than T-Mobile U.S.'s 3G frequencies.

Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but my understanding is that even though AT&T in the U.S. uses the 3G bands referred to as 850 and 1900, those are just rounded off numbers. Actually, in the U.S. the frequencies are something more specific like, for example, 824 mhz and 1940 mhz (I don't know what they are exactly). In fact, since the "850" and "1900" numbers are really just rounded off numbers to name a whole set of frequency bands, in some places they even call "800" what we refer to as "850." (And similarly T-Mobile's 2100 3G frequency in the U.S. is really not the same as Europe's 2100 3G frequency.)

So AT&T 3G is really not the same frequencies as other countries use, which nominally refer to their 3G as 850/1900. That's why the NAM phones usually have a non-U.S. 2100 mhz 3G band thrown in, so that it is properly tuned to work in other parts of the world.

So that said, phone manufacturers, I believe (I could be wrong), have to make phones just as specifically for AT&T, as they would for T-Mobile in the U.S. The AT&T 850/1900 3G bands are no more useful elsewhere in the world than the T-Mobile 1700/2100 3G bands. Which returns me to my original question as to why T-Mobile is ignored when companies release North American phones, but not AT&T.
    Last edited by cb474; 06/19/2009 at 01:18 AM.
    That's not what I meant by saying AT&T's 3G frequencies are idiosyncratic to the U.S. I meant the frequencies AT&T uses are not used elsewhere, any more than T-Mobile U.S.'s 3G frequencies.

Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but my understanding is that even though AT&T in the U.S. uses the 3G bands referred to as 850 and 1900, those are just rounded off numbers. Actually, in the U.S. the frequencies are something more specific like, for example, 824 mhz and 1940 mhz (I don't know what they are exactly). In fact, since the "850" and "1900" numbers are really just rounded off numbers to name a whole set of frequency bands, in some places they even call "800" what we refer to as "850." (And similarly T-Mobile's 2100 3G frequency in the U.S. is really not the same as Europe's 2100 3G frequency.)

So AT&T 3G is really not the same frequencies as other countries use, which nominally refer to their 3G as 850/1900. That's why the NAM phones usually have a non-U.S. 2100 mhz 3G band thrown in, so that it is properly tuned to work in other parts of the world.

So that said, phone manufacturers, I believe (I could be wrong), have to make phones just as specifically for AT&T, as they would for T-Mobile in the U.S. The AT&T 850/1900 3G bands are no more useful elsewhere in the world than the T-Mobile 1700/2100 3G bands. Which returns me to my original question as to why T-Mobile is ignored when companies release North American phones, but not AT&T.
    No single band work in one single frequency. It's technically wrong to call those "frequencies", because they are a defined set of ranges.

Here's the full list.

UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At least off my head that uses 850/1900:

Canada: Rogers/Fido
    Australia: Telstra
    Mexico: Telefonica

Still MUCH better than 1700.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    No single band work in one single frequency. It's technically wrong to call those "frequencies", because they are a defined set of ranges.

Here's the full list.

[link removed]

At least off my head that uses 850/1900:

Canada: Rogers/Fido
    Australia: Telstra
    Mexico: Telefonica

Still MUCH better than 1700.
    Yes, that was my point, the bands represent ranges of frequencies. But as I noted for this reason, I think that 850/1900 in other countries, such as Canada, Australia, Mexico, are not necessarily the same as 850/1900 in the U.S. and therefore it does not gaurantee that an AT&T 3G phone will work on the 3G bands in these other 850/1900 countries. I'm not sure about this, but that's my understanding.
    Yes, that was my point, the bands represent ranges of frequencies. But as I noted for this reason, I think that 850/1900 in other countries, such as Canada, Australia, Mexico, are not necessarily the same as 850/1900 in the U.S. and therefore it does not gaurantee that an AT&T 3G phone will work on the 3G bands in these other 850/1900 countries. I'm not sure about this, but that's my understanding.
    GSM or UMTS, if a phone supports that BAND, it will support THE WHOLE RANGE THAT BAND SPECIFIES. Manfacturers does not specify the range, GSMA does.

Examples:

- An software-unlocked AT&T iPhone 3G will work on Rogers network.
    - The LG TU500 sold by Rogers and Fido back then was in fact a Telstra customized unit and is on the same frequencies.

And FYI, all the phones I have minus one was ever bought are Canadian carrier phones. I've once had a Cingular branded SE S710a, and it's still working today, Fido or Rogers. Also my Centro isn't even an AT&T unit, I bought it in Hong Kong unlocked. Spec says it supports 850 and 1900, then it will.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Mr Ski Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaask !

We are giving you 72 hours to come out with a video demanding Paaaaaaaaaaaalm give a release date for the GSM Pre.

Otherwise we will be forced to "aggressively invite" other Ski Mask wearers (bank robbers and the like) and force them to wear panty hose over their head instead.

Mr Ski Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaask - 72 hours !
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelig87 View Post
    Mr Ski Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaask !

We are giving you 72 hours to come out with a video demanding Paaaaaaaaaaaalm give a release date for the GSM Pre.

Otherwise we will be forced to "aggressively invite" other Ski Mask wearers (bank robbers and the like) and force them to wear panty hose over their head instead.

Mr Ski Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaask - 72 hours !
    Interesting that Mr. Skimask still logs on to PreCentral...

this phone is such a xxxx teaser. i need one in xxxx already...

release it in the xxxx
    Last edited by palandri; 06/21/2009 at 08:18 AM.
    I'd say in the 6-9 month range which would satisfy a Q1 2010 range.
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaXVI View Post
    I'd say in the 6-9 month range which would satisfy a Q1 2010 range.
    I've been waiting patiently since Jan 09 and I'm afraid to say I won't be buying a Pre if it's much later than September.... Q1 2010 will really hurt it's chances IMHO
    2010? I hope we will see one WebOS device in 2009 in Europe. Even if it is not the pre. I use google news with "palm pre" as keyword but I don't get news about availability of the palm pre.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    i hope it comes in less than 6 months becouse im tired of my blackberry storm and ready to upgrade to the gsm pre, i just don't want to cancel my contract with at&t but if it doesnt come soon bye bye at&t hellos sprint and palm pre
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzshow View Post
    i hope it comes in less than 6 months becouse im tired of my blackberry storm and ready to upgrade to the gsm pre, i just don't want to cancel my contract with at&t but if it doesnt come soon bye bye at&t hellos sprint and palm pre
    hey bizz stop torchering yourself and just get it already...i couldnt take it...but i didnt cancle att...just got both...an iphone and pre...dont think you will see a gsm pre by the end of the year...
    Based on the poll result, the GSM Palm Pre won't be out in 3-6 months time :-(

I need to make a crucial decision here, either to wait for GSM Pre or just grab an iPhone 3GS right now. As my final semester will start in September, I really hope I can get GSM Pre by the end of August, because I need to use medical apps etc, and god knows how well my Treo 650 have served me in the past 2 years, but I really need a new device !!!

Just showing my hope towards GSM Pre :-)
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I am using epocrates, uptodate, HanDbase, and remote desktop on my Treo Pro on ATT. Never looked back to my 680, really like the wifi and 3G, and the phone is stable. Not interested in the iphone as I don't have time for the things it excels at (games movies etc) but I may get the Pre later out of curiosity, but I'm not sure it will do more than the Pro...
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<–>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S–>Davinci Si
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdoc View Post
    I am using epocrates, uptodate, HanDbase, and remote desktop on my Treo Pro on ATT. Never looked back to my 680, really like the wifi and 3G, and the phone is stable. Not interested in the iphone as I don't have time for the things it excels at (games movies etc) but I may get the Pre later out of curiosity, but I'm not sure it will do more than the Pro...
    The Treo Pro (which I have as well) can do more than the Pre but it's major deficiency is the poor browsing experience. I expect things on the Pre will catch up pretty quickly, with Classic as a stop-gap solution till native medical apps are available.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News