View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Guardian's rumours on O²'s closed deal on Pre being lately denied by this operator's official, I hardly see a GSM in Western Europe before fall, even thought Telstra officially announced its model for august in Australia.
    Rumours in UK are guessing on Xmas period.

I can understand Europe is a very secondary market, where the PalmOs diffusion was not a mass success for Treos and Centros, nonetheless most of them were out there monthes before US models.
    More than that, keyboards are specific (Azerty, not Qwerty) in the country I'm living in...

Reading rumours nearly two monthes ago, negociations were supposed being on final stages
    Hopefully the release of the CDMA model in 2 days will put an end on most of those hearsays and operators will commit themselves on a strong position depending on the results on the launch...
    Last edited by Wayenberg; 06/04/2009 at 12:51 PM.
    after 6 months of use my gsm treo pro's dpad is already acting up I hope an unlocked pre comes to asia soon.
  3. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayenberg View Post
    Guardian's rumours on O²'s closed deal on Pre being lately denied by this operator's official, I hardly see a GSM in Western Europe before fall, even thought Telstra officially announced its model for august in Australia.

I thought that this was confirmed too but then I searched and as far as I could see there was no announcement by Telstra or Palm just a rumour from Smarthome or Smarthouse which was picked up and circulated.

I believe that Palm Australia have only confirmed for the second half of this year so far but if you have a link to the announcement from Telstra or Palm I’d appreciate it.
    A lot of carriers claimed they were getting the Pre on such-and-such a date, but it turns out it was mostly wishful thinking or rampant speculation. In the U.S., Verizon started that controversy when they said, "We'll have the Pre in six months on VZW". Nobody knows why they said it, but it's totally "unofficial". Maybe outright bull.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I was wistfully looking at Pre wallpaper in Flickr and came across an image and comment posted sometime in February 2009, concerning how many iPhone users would switch to Pre.

If the comment is to believed, you have a little inkling of how early and far Palm Europe marketing has tried for a GSM launch in UK:

"Hab das Gerät im Rahmen meines Praktikums bei T-Mobile UK letztes Jahr bei einer Produktpräsentation in der Hand gehabt, allerdings nicht mit finaler Software. Optisch hat es mich zumindest nicht so überzeugt."
    (Translation: I had this device in hand during an product presentation while I was doing an internship with T-Mobile UK last year, although not with the final software. I wasn't impressed with its appearance.)
    In 2008, Palm was already approaching at least three major UK mobile providers (Vodafone UK was rumored to get it. O2 finally did. Apparently T-Mobile took a look at it if the comment is credible.) with a functioning build of WebOS on a pre-production Pre.

Cool. So what headway and preparation for the rest of Europe??? (Namely France, where I am...)
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  6. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post

In 2008, Palm was already approaching at least three major UK mobile providers (Vodafone UK was rumored to get it. O2 finally did. Apparently T-Mobile took a look at it if the comment is credible.) with a functioning build of WebOS on a pre-production Pre.

Cool. So what headway and preparation for the rest of Europe??? (Namely France, where I am...)

Of course they started talking to carriers in 2008, this sort of negotiation takes time and the chosen carrier still has to certify the device for their network, which can take months.

However in this particular case it doesn’t really matter when Palm began talking to EU carriers, what matters is when Palm will be able to produce and ship quantities of GSM handsets and considering the production difficulties we have heard of with the CDMA handsets, who knows when this will be.
    Well, one thing is for sure: when Palm is putting the GSM release on the back burner because they think there's not a lot of demand on the European market, they shouldn't release a GSM version at all. It would be a waste of time and money because by then at least there will be 1 phone available or pronounced that is better than te Pre.

Sorry guys but I'm just so frustrated because of the X-mas release rumors. That is only for the UK and not even for The Netherlands or other smaller countries. Perhaps a release in those countries will happen in Q2 2010 or something. That's just crazy imho!
    I don't think have a lean on CDMA or GSM, just that they don't want to announce it just now and potentially **** Sprint off.

Traditionally all Palm/Handspring phones were GSM, then the CDMA versions came along, starting with the Treo 180/270 duo. The Sprint version, Treo 300 came after both of them.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    A little bird in my part of the world told me they might get the GSM Pre Sep/Oct
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Should be in Palm's interest to get this phone out everywhere as soon as possible.

Any indications if we'll see the gsm version in Hong-Kong any time soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    I believe that Palm Australia have only confirmed for the second half of this year so far but if you have a link to the announcement from Telstra or Palm I’d appreciate it.
    I have a friend who is reasonably well connected to Palm in Australia, and they told me unequivocally about 8/10 days ago that Palm in Australia have been unable to secure ANY allocation of GSM Pre' as yet.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    And I would probably have come out of the gate with GSM as you have access to over 2.46 BILLION subscribers worldwide.
    You would think anyone with a business brain will know that. The iPhone was a success bcos of outside sales not ATT. The world is GSM. Palm really has no business sense.

As for sprint.... no one in their right mind stays with that company.. a complete rip off. I would love the Pre not enough to switch to Sprint sorry. Count me out for now.
    another day for you and me in paradise
    I'm in the UK and I can't wait for this thing.

I have had a HTC Magic for the last couple of weeks (from Vodafone, but flashed with Rogers non-Google firmware for the last week, so it does Exchange etc), and it's a nice piece of kit but it's just not sexy. The hardware is great, top job to HTC, but the OS is a bit too dark for my liking.
    The HTC Magic is on loan from a phone shop, but I'm still using my Nokia E51. It's between either the Nokia E55/E52 (will probably try the semi-qwerty E55) and the Palm Pre.

As long as I can get Sat Nav on the Pre, it'll be the Pre, although Bluetooth tethering is also something I use from the E51.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    We need Mr Ski Mask to start "aggressively inviting" some Palm GSM users until we get a release date for the GSM Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelig87 View Post
    We need Mr Ski Mask to start "aggressively inviting" some Palm GSM users until we get a release date for the GSM Pre.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    never I hope after this abomination of an attempt
  18. Cea
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salvador View Post
    Well, one thing is for sure: when Palm is putting the GSM release on the back burner because they think there's not a lot of demand on the European market, they shouldn't release a GSM version at all. It would be a waste of time and money because by then at least there will be 1 phone available or pronounced that is better than te Pre.

Sorry guys but I'm just so frustrated because of the X-mas release rumors. That is only for the UK and not even for The Netherlands or other smaller countries. Perhaps a release in those countries will happen in Q2 2010 or something. That's just crazy imho!
    I think the same way about it.
    When they announced the Pre in January i said already that Palm would fail in some way. They screw it up always. The Pre looked fine in the beginning but they do fail again. Battery sucks big time ( 1150 mAh in a phone like that) and releasing a GSM Pre in first or second quarter of 2010 for europe is indeed crazy.
    Belgium or the Netherlands are always left out in getting a new phone in a reasonable time frame.
    My first intention was to wait for a Pre to replace my E71, but no way i'm gonna wait until 2010 and get a phone that last a half day.
    I'm gonna switch back to blackberry.
    So long Palm.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Folks, like many outside of the US we have been dismayed that after watching the Pre from January 09 it may be that we won't get a GSM version in Australia until 12 months from now. That's a year and a half ! Even if it arrived in January 2010 that's still a year and is an absolutely crazy timescale in the mobile phone market.

Why give your competitors such an additional headstart??

Now that I am convinced that I want a Pre it is almost possible I won't get one as waiting this long is just too painful.

Most of the guys at work are keen on the pre and us Aussies like the small guy against Golliath proposition. But even with my reserves of enthusiasm I am beginning to feel disheartened.

By that time there would have been a new iPhone, Windows mobile 6.5 and possibly WINMO 7 and many more Android phones. WTH!???

I suspect the final release of the phone has got me down as I can see so many with the phone I was hoping to see out there. Now it is out there I feel very left out.

In short if the thing isn't available in our GSM band before the end of the year Palm can forget my vote and trust me I have spent months and months following this thing.

BTW I am a Windows Mobile user and the choice out there is very tempting but I want something different but it looks like WINMO will get my $$
    Just give us a release date and get some advertising out there. I know America is the biggest market and palm is better known. Get the adverts rolling, and people will buy

Also by the way. Great site. This is now bookmarked for updates on the pre