View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanO'Hanlon View Post
    I have been a Palm Treo power user/lover ever since it came out and I live in one of the biggest cell phone/smart phone markets in the world (Miami). I have seriously been considering switching to Sprint just so I can use the new Pre. So when I go into the local Sprint stores to see the new Pre, I expect the "Advocate" to bring that little sucker out and show me what it does without question. (No "pre-qualifying" me.) Instead, I am told that they do not have it in yet, (Big lie) and that while the phone is capable of multitasking Sprint's network is not. (Big mistake)

I'm sorry but I just won't be switching to Sprint and it's now doubtful that I will wait for the Pre to be available unlocked to use on another network. Palm had their chance to keep me and they blew it. The only question now is: who will get my business?
    I seriously doubt that you ever were a Palm user and suspect that this is a complete fabrication, however a couple of points need a comment

- what part of - Pre will be released on 6th June - did you not understand.
    - Multitasking has nothing whatsoever to do with the network. Multitasking will work. (unlike your current phone).
    I would love a gsm pre, really not looking to switch to sprint... sigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagg Certified View Post
    I would love a gsm pre, really not looking to switch to sprint... sigh
    They will be out soon. I am sure I'll find an unlocked GSM Pre on EBay before to long. Just have to wait.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I seriously doubt that you ever were a Palm user and suspect that this is a complete fabrication, however a couple of points need a comment

- what part of - Pre will be released on 6th June - did you not understand.
    - Multitasking has nothing whatsoever to do with the network. Multitasking will work. (unlike your current phone).
    1. For the record: I do not work for Apple or AT&T but I do have a Treo 680
    2. I guess the rest of you haven't heard that the demo phones ARE in the stores for "pre-qualified" customers to see. (I know this for a fact as friends of mine in Atlanta have seen it.) I have never had to wait until the official launch date to look at a new cell phone. That doesn't make "entitled" just a valued customer.
    3. If you can't use the data side of it while you are talking on the phone then it is most definitely NOT truly a multi-tasking device. (I never said my current phone is capable of multitasking.) Even Sprint admits to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanO'Hanlon View Post
    1. For the record: I do not work for Apple or AT&T but I do have a Treo 680
    2. I guess the rest of you haven't heard that the demo phones ARE in the stores for "pre-qualified" customers to see. (I know this for a fact as friends of mine in Atlanta have seen it.) I have never had to wait until the official launch date to look at a new cell phone. That doesn't make "entitled" just a valued customer.
    3. If you can't use the data side of it while you are talking on the phone then it is most definitely NOT truly a multi-tasking device. (I never said my current phone is capable of multitasking.) Even Sprint admits to this.
    You should skip the Pre, it's probably a bit much...

The demo phones are in some of the stores. You may have been lied to, you may not.
    You obviously do not know what multi-tasking is.
    Why in the world are you giving up on Palm because of what a Sprint employee did?
    Never mind, it was a rhetorical question...
    Last edited by hparsons; 05/25/2009 at 02:03 PM.
    - O2 UK publicly announced the Palm Pre yesterday.
    - "Coming Soon" suddenly showed up on Palm UK web site Pre page this weekend.
    - O2 UK retentions manager leaks June 18th release date last week per Palm webOS blog and twitter.

Anyone besides me getting their GSM hopes up????
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 05/26/2009 at 03:32 AM.
    I read "For O2, who refused to comment" and stopped there. Just another rumour to go along with the Vodaphone rumours for me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    - O2 UK publicly announced the Palm Pre yesterday.
    - O2 UK retentions manager leaks June 18th release date last week per Palm webOS blog and twitter.
    ooo, can ya link the blog/twitter posts from the O2 retentions manager?

On the flipside, O2 hasn't publicly announced anything. Guardian.co.uk simply posted an article, which imho, is based off a rumour.
    As long as the unlocked version is out by November in Asia (or Europe and gets parallel imported back to Asia), that's all I care.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    ooo, can ya link the blog/twitter posts from the O2 retentions manager?

On the flipside, O2 hasn't publicly announced anything. Guardian.co.uk simply posted an article, which imho, is based off a rumour.
    Here's the thread with the info on the O2 retentions mgr:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...june-18th.html

Here's the original Story on Palm webOS Blog:

http://palmwebosblog.com/palm-pre-re...-rumour-on-o2/
    I just can't see a June 18 Pre available in the UK. They would have it in their hands for testing and we would see more leaks along the lines of Sprint re employees holding them.

How long does it take to swap out the CDMA modem and put in a GSM compatible one and test it?
    I'm sure there's a million posts about a GSM version of the Pre, but I think it really sucks that Palm went with Spring & Verizon to release the Pre. Latest news reports are calling the Pre an iPhone killer, which it very well might be but for those of us on AT&T, we'd have to switch to a CDMA carrier just to experience it. I THINK NOT!! That would be absurd.

I think I saw an unlocked GSM Pre out on Amazon or Buy. Can anyone confirm if it is legit??
    There are if you do a search. BTW The Pre is currently only available on Sprint. A GSM version will launch in the UK sometime later this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    You are a 100% correct on that, but if you look at the shear numbers, if i was going CDMA i would go VZW (87.4 million subscribers once the Alltel merger is complete) vs. 50.7 million for Sprint (which INCLUDES Nextel AND Boost - take out Nextel and Boost and they only have 22.2 million subscribers).

And I would probably have come out of the gate with GSM as you have access to over 2.46 BILLION subscribers worldwide.

Everyone knows the Pre has to be a HUGELY successful device for Palm to survive (and it appears by todays launch, they very well may be on the road to recovery). I am sure this will help pull some new subscribers over to Sprint, but sorry, if it was my company (we'd probably be bankrupt already ) I would make the bottom line about numbers, and the acces to the largest pool of subscribers.......
    I wonder if Palm is releasing with Sprint for a couple of reasons:

01. Long standing Palm/Sprint partnership

02. Initial expenditures for release (production and quantity) are easier on a smaller network (i.e. Sprint). When they are successful they can tackle a larger scale release like (Verizon/AT&T).

What does anyone else think?

Regards
    graylion
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post

02. Initial expenditures for release (production and quantity) are easier on a smaller network (i.e. Sprint). When they are successful they can tackle a larger scale release like (Verizon/AT&T).

Regards
    Sprint also has a lot of POS users already.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post

Regards
    Sounds valid to me.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    If it really came at that price I would buy it in an instant.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    i reckon that a gsm version of the pre will be out before the end of june! they will give a release date on the 6th! its gonna happen! if not i'm gonna have to get an n97 and i won't be happy!