View Poll Results: How long until the GSM version drops?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than a month.

14 4.70%
  • 1 to 2 months.

55 18.46%
  • 3 to 6 months.

105 35.23%
  • More than 6 months.

124 41.61%
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Australia "in" August, Telefonica Spain, Mexico, and Latin America in July, and maybe O2 UK in June. That's where a GSM release stands right now. All rumors.
    Telefonica is Movistar in Spain, Mexico, and Latin America, and O2 in the UK.

As for data speed, only the Telstra (AU), and the Movistar models may be compatable with USA 3G.

O2 model, would run at edge speeds here (diff freq's)
    I don't think with Palm's cashflow it would be wise to make two versions with separate bands, risk of stockpiling. Just make one version with UMTS 850/1900/2100, and Quadband GSM 850/900/1800/1900 and it should play nice in all of their networks. Heck that's what Apple did.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    I highly doubt Hong Kong will see a Pre Launch in the next year.
    When the GSM Centro was launched Hong Kong was one of the first areas in Asia to get it.

With almost 2 mobile phones per person there, it's quite a large market to miss.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

So just food for thought...

Back then, Sprint launched the Centro in October 2007, then the GSM version came unlocked and AT&T February 2008. So 4 months in between, I wonder would the Pre follow suit?

So I wonder... theoretically the GSM Pre should be available in October?

(There was exception to this rule though, the Treo Pro came GSM first then CDMA.)

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Back then, Sprint launched the Centro in October 2007, then the GSM version came unlocked and AT&T February 2008. So 4 months in between, I wonder would the Pre follow suit?

So I wonder... theoretically the GSM Pre should be available in October?
    Sprint (or Palm, can't remember which) already stated that Sprint has the rights to it in the US until the end of 2009. So the earliest you will see one here is Jan. 2010 (unless they lengthen the contract, but I doubt they will)
    I was saying it's available, not available in US.

GSM Centro was first launched in Europe as well, UK got it first. With the O2 rumour, it somewhat makes sense.

This is my first post ever, I have been lurking here for years....and using a 680 since release which I love. I have been eagerly awaiting the Pre and I fully intended to switch to Sprint to get one. But I agree with the poster, so much so, that I felt I had to post. Frustration reigns supreme.

I have compromised into a google world to reconcile my "cloud" and local sync issues - it isn't perfect but I can live with it. I have come to accept that I will use my 680 when travelling abroad, again not perfect but workable.

I must say though that my experience this weekend in a Sprint store was similar to that of the poster. The staff were either clueless or lying. In spite of a huge video screen playing a promo for Pre, they could not confirm when the demo phone would be available to see. The advocate told me he had not received the phone yet and he had also not received any training for it yet, but that he had seen internet videos and simultaneous text & voice would be impossible. Another salesman told me that to be able to text while using the phone I would need the Treo Pro -- but he made sure to add that Windows Mobile was "so complicated" that he couldn't understand it himself, so a demo of that feature was impossible.

Turns out after a little internet research, the poster is correct, the network (and not the phone) makes data & phone impossible. So now appears that Sprint is a really big compromise, since the whole multi-tasking thing is moot. I detest the idea of a contract and I'm not sure a 2 year one on Sprint contract is a smart choice.

My options now are to wait for a GSM version and pray my over-used and falling apart phone lasts long enough, buy a cheap unlocked Centro to get through, switch to Sprint and take my chances or get another phone altogether. <sigh>

It all begs the question, why is Palm making it so hard for themselves? And also, why is Sprint behaving so ridiculously? At another carrier (same day), a salesman showed me a not-yet-out phone for which a working demo had been received and he let me touch/try it. He also volunteered when he expected it would be available and offered to call me...even though I did not love the phone. That is, I think, normal carrier behavior.

For a make-or-break product from an ailing manufacturer on an ailing network, premium customer service seems a no brainer. But all this ridiculous secrecy is stupid and a turn-off (ref: the devCamp folk as well).

I now hope that an unlocked gsm version from Palm will surface soon, or failing that, will the European or Australian gsm versions work here?

I really don't want a different device. They just make it very hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    ...I now hope that an unlocked gsm version from Palm will surface soon, or failing that, will the European or Australian gsm versions work here?

I really don't want a different device. They just make it very hard.
    There are countries in Europe that require unlocked GSM versions to be available to prevent the monopolization of a product. An unlocked GSM version will show up in the States sooner or later. Maybe Ebay would be a good place to look once the European Pre's come out.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I'm still thinking October for unlocked and Euro providers, based on past trends.

(I didn't say AT&T this time, so you people don't need to tell me it's "Sprint exclusive".

Thank you...there is hope!!

Maybe that Pixie will be out by then too.

Still loving Palm....and still very ambivalent about Sprint.
    will the European or Australian gsm versions work here?
    First of all, welcome to the crazy side of hell

Now to answer your question: It depends on what frequencies the GSM Pre will have. AT&T uses 850mhz and T-Mobile uses 1800Mhz.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post

Now to answer your question: It depends on what frequencies the GSM Pre will have. AT&T uses 850mhz and T-Mobile uses 1800Mhz.
    You mean 1900...

AT&T uses 850 both 1900 for GSM and UMTS.
    T-Mobile uses 1900 for GSM and AWS 1700 for UMTS.

GSM Coverage Maps | United States

Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post

Unlocked GSM will come with 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

T-Mobile uses 1900

Ah yes...I should have known that Have a bunch of unlocked GSM phones.. I feel stupid

Thanks for correcting me!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

Dummie question: GSM is the phone & UMTS is the 3G?

Someone posted Eos specs in the Pixie category and it is quad band GSM, but UMTS 850/1900 - this works for AT&T or T-Mo in 3G?

But a T-Mo phone will get GSM and Edge on AT&T but will only go 3G on AT&T if it has UMTS 850 in addition to 1900?
    Dummie question: GSM is the phone & UMTS is the 3G?

Someone posted Eos specs in the Pixie category and it is quad band GSM, but UMTS 850/1900 - this works for AT&T or T-Mo in 3G?

But a T-Mo phone will get GSM and Edge on AT&T but will only go 3G on AT&T if it has UMTS 850 in addition to 1900?
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE is 2G
    UMTS/HSPA is 3G

UMTS 850 -or- 1900 will only work with AT&T 3G but you'll get crappy coverage because you have one band only. The idea is that it supports both to supplement each other.

Thank you!!

So Eos is a 3G device for AT&T but will be crappy for T-Mo because the carrier supports only 1 of the UMTS bands. That must mean all T-Mo 3G is questionable?

I am with AT&T, but really not a fan of theirs, so I was thinking about the switching possibilities in GSM world....
    T-Mobiles UTMS is questionable, it is not really very fast but neither is AT&T's. Compared with Europe's UTMS the USA is a joke. IMO VZW and Sprint are the strongest ATM but Sprint is definitely the fastest by a large margin.

..I am with AT&T, but really not a fan of theirs, so I was thinking about the switching possibilities in GSM world....
    GSM switching is getting more and more limited in the US as company's get bought out. Here's the latest list US GSM providers:

GSM Coverage Maps | United States

O2 follows iPhone success with deal for next must-have gadget | Business | guardian.co.uk

We GSM Pre waiters have hope...

I can haz GSM Pre by the time I'm in Hong Kong... *dances*