Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    .....I see tears in the eyes of Android. Dang it Palm...why me...why me? My prediction is that Palm will be bought either by Nokia, HTC or Sumsung but in the long run can be taken by Microsoft or even google (just for their OS). But looking at their stocks this morning I dont think they should have trouble launching even more devices (promised by palm rep in cnet interview by Bonnie cha Here ).
    Short term gain is very high. I think due to Palm big success everyone is going to benefit. Sprint will steal and break lots of hearts at AT&T. Stock holders should ride their stock all the way to 2011 or whenever market will rebound.

I can assure you one thing, this Pre is just what its name is: Pre. You can bet there will be many more devices that will follow. And personally I am not a guy who dance around any fancy thing but todays launch of Palm Web OS making me dance because I know there is my device in pipeline that does have SD Card slot, larger keyboard (like treo 800w), larger screen and wifi button on top. And I am waiting......
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Excellent, informative blog!

This is the best form factor I have ever seen! I am so sick of small screens on flip phones, or talking into space with the short brick phones.

After many years with Palm, I dumped my Treo a year ago in favor of a BlackBerry Curve. It just seemed like Palm wasn't trying.

Looking towards my next phone, BlackBerry is releasing more of the same brick phones running that clunky Java OS, the iPhone still lacks basic functionality, and WinMo is stagnating.

Meanwhile, Palm just hit the ball out of the park! For all the Wanna be "iPhone killers" out there, this one deserves the title.

Bye bye BlackBerry; I'm coming back to you Palm!
    Last edited by Bob G; 01/08/2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: typo
    I dumped my 800W for a HTC Pro and whille I think the Pro is a greta phone I hate Windows mobile. I wills ell my pro as soon as this comes out and purchase this.
    Oh my god - it's beautiful!

I use a Curve 8320 on T-Mobile. I ran to T-Mobile and BlackBerry in mid-2005 after being disgusted with the Treo 650 and it's horrid multi-tasking and battery life.

This is the unit that will make me switch back from the BlackBerry. This awesome little device gives the iPhone, GPhone, any modern Treo, touchscreen Windows Mobile devices AND the media-BB's a run for their money.

My dad bought me a Handspring Treo 180 as a teen. Then I got a 270, and later a 600 in 2004. Ultimately I ended up with an unlocked 650 in 2005.

I'm sure Palm's media/PRPRPR $people$ $are$ $keeping$ $track$ $of$ $the$ $internet$ $reaction$. $I$ $think$ $I$ $speak$ $for$ $all$ $the$ $diehard$ $Treo$ $fans$ $when$ $I$ $say$, "We are pleased. We're coming back to Palm."

Just tell us when the damn thing is on sale, and I'll be there, plastic or cash in hand

- a DoD employee who is gonna give up his personal BlackBerry for the Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    Excellent, informative blog!

This is the best form factor I have ever seen! I am so sick of small screens on flip phones, or talking into space with the short brick phones.

After many years with Palm, I dumped my Treo a year ago in favor of a BlackBerry Curve. It just seemed like Palm wasn't trying.

Looking towards my next phone, BlackBerry is releasing more of the same brick phones running that clunky Java OS, the iPhone still lacks basic functionality, and WinMo is stagnating.

Meanwhile, Palm just hit the ball out of the park! For all the Wanna be "iPhone killers" out there, this one deserves the title.

Bye bye BlackBerry; I'm coming back to you Palm!
    I was real close to migrating to the first Android offering on Sprint but I held up on my 700p to give Palm a chance. They got it right... finally!

Now, Dieter, did you actually get hands on or are you just commenting based on what you saw? I think some of these posts think you actually played with it.

Too bad there isnt any confirmation of expandable storage. The Pre is the BEST iPhone challenger out there now. Just tell me that there is a microSD slot under that battery
    When, when, when, when, when??!!??

Like others before me, I am ready to sacrifice SOME of my legacy apps for a chance to go where no man has gone before (except developers, of course).

D*mm*it, Spock!!! I can't hold on any longer!
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    How about the top row? Looks to be printed on ("Palm", time and the signal strength and battery etc. indicators)... maybe the pictures are not showing these right...

Waiting for it (the GSM version) to hit the market... in India.
    keep going .. we need to know more :-)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justjill3 View Post
    When, when, when, when, when??!!??

D*mm*it, Spock!!! I can't hold on any longer!
    Seriously!!! When? My Treo 755p is barely hanging on. I almost threw it out the window on i95N in maryland after a random reset the other day! I need this phone, and I need it yesterday!

What does First half of 09 mean? Does that mean it could be June before anyone has it in their hands?
  10.    #30  
    Hi all -

I've been going a mile a minute since the keynote started, haven't stopped for breath and don't intend to until, well, until later . Mike and I are going to record a special treocast and then i'll write up part 2.

I'm waiting for the Q&A from my 45 minutes Hands-On with the Pre to finish encoding at YouTube. That video is pretty good, but wait until you see the video we have for the morning -- stupendous.

I'll try to get to as many questions as I can in the part 2 article -- if somebody wants to do me a HUGE HUGE solid, they could compile all the questions in a single post in about 2-3 hours, when I think I'll be able to get to writing part 2.

- Dieter
    subscribing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Hi all -

I've been going a mile a minute since the keynote started, haven't stopped for breath and don't intend to until, well, until later . Mike and I are going to record a special treocast and then i'll write up part 2.

I'm waiting for the Q&A from my 45 minutes Hands-On with the Pre to finish encoding at YouTube. That video is pretty good, but wait until you see the video we have for the morning -- stupendous.

I'll try to get to as many questions as I can in the part 2 article -- if somebody wants to do me a HUGE HUGE solid, they could compile all the questions in a single post in about 2-3 hours, when I think I'll be able to get to writing part 2.

- Dieter

Do you a HUGE HUGE solid? We could go places with that...
    As a software engineer and a potential developer, I am skeptical about webOS. I have a lot of questions with respect to how some of the low level software will be developed.

Here are a few:

How can I develop a networking app that needs to send out TCP/IP/UDP packets that isn't a web page?

How could I create an app similar to the DUN interface in my current Treo?

Is there going to be database support?

I have many more and their http://developer.palm.com link isn't making me too excited to jump into developing applications that I thought were going to be based off a linux OS.

Neat looking phone though, but I was hoping for more as that my current Treo is barely hanging on and I have a decision to make as what to replace it with in the next few months. (And if I can't get my Outlook email using a desktop client as that our network admins are nazis or write an app to do it for me, I might get my first non-Palm phone in 6 years.)
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    Do you a HUGE HUGE solid? We could go places with that...
    Did you just volunteer?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Hi all -

- Dieter
    I've compiled them here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175346
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/08/2009 at 11:41 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark3397 View Post
    As a software engineer and a potential developer, I am skeptical about webOS. I have a lot of questions with respect to how some of the low level software will be developed.

Here are a few:

How can I develop a networking app that needs to send out TCP/IP/UDP packets that isn't a web page?

How could I create an app similar to the DUN interface in my current Treo?

Is there going to be database support?

I have many more and their http://developer.palm.com link isn't making me too excited to jump into developing applications that I thought were going to be based off a linux OS.

Neat looking phone though, but I was hoping for more as that my current Treo is barely hanging on and I have a decision to make as what to replace it with in the next few months. (And if I can't get my Outlook email using a desktop client as that our network admins are nazis or write an app to do it for me, I might get my first non-Palm phone in 6 years.)
    I'll second that question. We need to know if we'll have access to the underlying linux structure to run more robust apps or if we're stuck with the same problem that Android has in keeping developers from directly accessing the hardware.

I read that the processer in this thing has both 2D and 3D graphics support - if we could get OpenGL ES running on it this device would have huge potential as a mobile gaming device as well - but AJAX and HTML aren't gonna cut it for that.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    I'll second that question. We need to know if we'll have access to the underlying linux structure to run more robust apps or if we're stuck with the same problem that Android has in keeping developers from directly accessing the hardware.

I read that the processer in this thing has both 2D and 3D graphics support - if we could get OpenGL ES running on it this device would have huge potential as a mobile gaming device as well - but AJAX and HTML aren't gonna cut it for that.
    Hmm, I can think of a few 3D apps that aren't games that would be killer productivity apps. I would definitely like to get at the underlying hardware with as few abstraction layers as possible.
    I've seen comments about the storage being 8GB but not what the RAM is. This can be critical when running multiple apps. Is it expandable (not likely) or will they come out with phones having different amounts of RAM?
    Hey everyone!

I didn't want to start a separate thread and divide the attention, so I thought I'd throw in my $.02 here from the unveiling.

First off, Thanks so much to Jon Zilber from Palm for taking me around!

So the experience:

The Palm launching event was very cool. It was dark with a lot of indirect lighting around a gigantic video display that was accented with bamboo. I was seated in the last row, so my photos weren't spectacular (and I'm using pdanet to get onto the internet from here, so I won't be posting pics as of yet. However, I don't have any pics that are better than what was posted from here on TC, or on any of the other mainstream blogs.)

Since there's so much professional coverage on this device, I'll try to comment on some minor things I didn't see listed anywhere else.

The Device:
    As you could see from the enormous size comparo, its no brick. it feels light and great in the hands thanks to the curve. when you look at the back of the device with the keyboard extended, there's an exposed mirrored gunmetal surface with 'Sprint' laser etched onto it. There're no ugly track/internals visible on the back when the keyboard is extended. The usb connector port is covered by a door. I didn't notice any roughness in the sliding mechanism (but I only got a few moments with one of the lead hardware designers to physically hold it)

The keys themselves are larger, more widely spaced, and firmer than the centro. There's just a hair of elasiticity to them which feels very pleasant (I tend to type with my thumbnails). I did a shred of typing and can see myself becoming every bit as fast as I am on my 700p on this.

The gesture area has 2 small, round, white lights underneath it, one in the middle of either side of that small home button that light when you touch there.

There will be a GSM verson for abroad, but in the US it will run on EDGE, not HSDPA (it seems this is in contrast to what is being reported at other sources, but one of the other people at my stand asked about other formats would become available, to which my presenter noted european availability was planned under UDM(?). The questioner noted that the equivalent here was "Not HSDPA, but only Edge, right? So it won't run HSDPA here?" To which my presenter said "No"

(I know this is a major issue, so if all the heavy hitter blogs are reporting otherwise, who am I to argue ; maybe I misheard the exchange)

The Touchstone requires the use of a different, magnetic backplate than that which comes with the phone (though visually they appear identical as far as I can tell)

The base of the touchstone does not have a traditional adhesive surface. Rather, you can rub it against a furry/wooly surface to empart a static charge to it then "stick" it to your desk. The demonstrator I was with (more on him in a moment) stuck the Touchstone to a wall then mounted his pre to it.

If you're phone is resting on the touchstone and it rings, picking it up from the touchstone automatically answers the phone. You can also activate the speakerphone leaving the device on the touchstone. (take THAT magnetic-stylus-opens-notepad-when-on-phone HTC!)

The software

A lot of this has been covered in extensive depth, so forgive any redundancy on my part. Again, I'll just cover tidbits that I hadn't seen posted elsewhere.

It's FAST, and very smooth. no choppiness. seemed very responsive. The cards system seems revolutionary to me. The notion is to imagine each app running like a stack of cards in a deck. You can rearrange them or remove them as easily as doing so with playing cards. It's intuitive to navigate. simple drag gestures. You can arrange cards any way you want them and they'll stay that way. Everything auto-saves, everything auto-updates. This includes cards that are webpages. (i.e. if the TC frontpage is one of your cards, and there's a new post, your card will update to reflect the new frontpage.) Want to get rid of a card, just drag it off the top of the screen.

The seamless integration of data across multiple areas of the web is nothing short of ASTOUNDING. If your outlook contacts have facebook pages, their facebook profile pic will show up next to them in the contacts app. If they change their Facebook profile pic, your contact pic of them on the pre changes. you don't have to do anything. If you're looking at a contact on your pre, and they sign into google/gchat, a green dot shows up next to their name in contacts to show they're available, and with one touch you can go to an IM window. If they sign off of IM and you want to send them another message, that IM window can become a threaded SMS window. seamless. I can't tell you how many times my jaw hit the ground during the presentation.

notifications are unintrusive. IMs & email notifications show up on the bottom 8th or 10th of the screen like some kind of vertically scrolling ticker. The focus stays on whatever you're working on. You don't have to dismiss anything to keep working. Alarms take up a larger section of the screen, but they also don't stop the action. the focus still stays on what you're working on (e-mail, notepad, whatever)

The audio player (just like everything else) can be reduced to a card, or can be adjusted by a small navbar than can be brought up from the bottom of the screen if the player is playing. (sorta like very clean "docked mode" of windows media player that only comes up if you call it. it's again only as tall as ~1/10 of the screen and contains Pause, Rewind, FF, etc.) the nav bar disappears just subtly.

All the cards adjust to landscape if you turn the device.

A drag up from the gesture area to the rest of the screen brings up the wavebar. It's meant to replace "All the familiar buttons" on our Treo/Centros. I.E. Phone, Datebook, E-Mail etc.) (I'm sure that's been covered to death)

Email looks just like Chatter but prettier. The same common-inbox, the same ability to select account to reply with. Really, it looked like Next Generation Chatter, which is a great thing. I can only guess that M.B. of the original Chatter is to be thanked (whole-heartedly!) I didn't see anything about flag synchronization though, to be honest.

The Calendar can populate from multiple separate calendars (EAC, GCAL) and you can view them all or just individual ones. If you can edit the calendar on your computer, you can edit it on the Pre. When looking at the hourly day view of your calendar, large chunks of free time are collapsed to look like paper that has been accordion folded with "X hours free" written over it. tap on a folded section and it expands so you can enter appointments there. This allows you to see a whole day of appointments on one screen rather than scrolling over large empty blocks of free time to see what's at the bottom.

Offline:
    Data is cached on the device, so you can keep on doing what you're doing on an airplane or in the boonies. The device will refresh when you go back online. Again, automatically. Hot-Sync is GONE.

Other:
    I observed the in-depth demo w the director of hardware design. He was passionate about the device, and very personable. He commented about the level of secrecy surrounding the pre. He said he could speak at length about it because he was in charge of it :-)

Essentially, he said that the way they (he) were able to keep things under wraps was to ensure that not a SINGLE picture of the device was given to anyone. "If an executive wanted to see the device, we FLEW an intern out to show it to them and bring it back."

I spoke with another palm employee who was "cringing" when the roteo story broke last month. Everyone at Palm that I spoke to were dying to show what they'd been working so hard on :-)

That person said they set the iPhone as "the thing to beat." He also noted that he himself had an iPhone which broke a few months ago, and that he had been using the pre as his only phone since then.

He also said that this was "just scratching the surface, we've got a lot more up our sleeves."

Things my presenter wouldn't comment on:
    - Battery life or battery size
    - Flash or web-video compatibility
    - Pricing
    - Release Date
    - SDK availability

Final Points:

I got to spend quite a bit of time in the Lounge (and will probably go back again tomorrow for another look at the Pre) and it was beautiful. Fantastic food and drinks, and every person at Palm was SO nice. I got to talk with Ed Colligan for a minute, and he was SUCH a pleasant guy. Really down to earth. And the Palm employees genuinely love him, which is cool to see. After the press event was a Palm-only afterparty that I got to hang out with for a minute, and lots of folks were laughing and cheering. The energy in the place was wonderful to be a part of. Also, everyone was really excited when they learned that I was the contest winner. I heard a few times, "OH! So YOU got the GOLDEN TICKET!"

This has been such an incredible experience for me, and I'm so excited to share what I saw with everyone here. We've all been waiting for something like this for a LONG long time, and I can honestly say there was some serious wish-fulfillment happening here in Las Vegas today.

Regards
    Riz
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RizP View Post
    ...clip...

There will be a GSM verson for abroad, but in the US it will run on EDGE, not HSDPA (it seems this is in contrast to what is being reported at other sources, but one of the other people at my stand asked about other formats would become available, to which my presenter noted european availability was planned under UDM(?). The questioner noted that the equivalent here was "Not HSDPA, but only Edge, right? So it won't run HSDPA here?" To which my presenter said "No"

(I know this is a major issue, so if all the heavy hitter blogs are reporting otherwise, who am I to argue ; maybe I misheard the exchange)
    He had better be wrong.
    I moved from PalmOS around 3 years ago just so I could get 3G.

<edit> I still can't figure that one.
    WebOS and only Edge?
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/08/2009 at 11:53 PM. Reason: WebOS and only Edge?
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast