Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What does this mean?

Anyone know if that means Linux apps can't be directly written for it?

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    What does this mean?

It suggests to me that all apps are web apps. I would have liked to have seen a real programming language supported such as Java.
    Is Linux under the hood or is it not?
    Will there be an emulator for legacy apps?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Is Linux under the hood or is it not?
    Will there be an emulator for legacy apps?
    Yes to the first question, probably not to the second.
    From arstechnica:

We've heard rumors that this device runs Linux and uses WebKit for its CSS/HTML/Javascript implementation. It seems that Palm, at least initially, wants to keep developers at the level of web tools, so I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to get at the Linux guts of the system any time soon. But since the interface is completely skinnable and modifiable—from the cards to the docks—developers will have plenty to keep them busy without low-level access.
  6.    #6  
    jhoff80,

So the good old PAM bluetooth hack might need a low level Linux approach?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Yes to the first question, probably not to the second.
    Personally I think it'll be a huge mistake if there isn't an emulator for legacy apps. migration won't be that quick.
    If there is a linux engine behind all the Webapp stuff, I should think a Garnet emulator should be possible, ala Nokia internet tablet
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    What does this mean?

Still too early to tell...

At some point, someone will probably figure out how to get native code running on it, just a question of the effort involved (i.e. how easy to r/w the ROM image, whether there is a true filesystem or not, if apps need to be signed to run, how difficult is it to get privileged code running on it, documentation on the API's etc). Alot will depend on the security model and whether Palm has tried to lock it down or not.

If this is Linux-based and the core hasn't been highly altered (doubt it), it shouldn't be that difficult.
    I've heard the Applications are "compiled" and are native but after reading Engadget it doesn't sounds like they are... From Engadget:
    Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    We're told that the OS is based on Linux, and is in some way an extension of what they've been crafting for a while now, but on top of that Linux core is a display layer that is basically WebKit: all of the apps, including Palms own, are built in HTML, CSS and Javascript, and can make calls deeper into the OS for certain functionalities. That means almost any web developer can build an app for the phone, but there are limitations. 3D gaming, for instance, won't be possible, at least with version 1.0 of the OS -- though Palm might add a different, more powerful display layer in the future. Palm has confirmed that there will be an app store and an SDK which will be available to anyone.
    That's not bad; at least they're not regular web applications like Apple had in the beginning but it would have been nice to see some sort of native option (maybe even a way to compile Html, Css and JSJSJS).
    I'm somewhat disappointed with webOS. It looks great--much like the iPhone OS--but on closer inspection appears to be like Android with less openness. Of course, the app development process has not been spelled out yet, but with Sprint having a big stake in it you can almost guarantee that there will be a short leash tied to Sprint apps and plans. As the "pre" eventually makes its way to other carriers and phones, things may open up but by then the more developed systems (Android, iPhone, RIM, Symbian, WinMo) will leave very little room for Palm. I'm not sure why developers will bother with it.
    Pre-what?
  11.    #11  
    What I'm concerned about most (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is having web connected apps written in HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Wouldn't this give carriers greater control and power over your installed apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo View Post
    I'm somewhat disappointed with webOS. It looks great--much like the iPhone OS--but on closer inspection appears to be like Android with less openness. Of course, the app development process has not been spelled out yet,
    Android has a full Java based SDK, WebOS just provides a web based development environment.
    Web apps mean you can pretty much write whatever you want. Has anyone seen a dev kit? All it would be, I assume, is a browser with the same css/javascript support as the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo View Post
    I'm somewhat disappointed with webOS. It looks great--much like the iPhone OS--but on closer inspection appears to be like Android with less openness. Of course, the app development process has not been spelled out yet, but with Sprint having a big stake in it you can almost guarantee that there will be a short leash tied to Sprint apps and plans. As the "pre" eventually makes its way to other carriers and phones, things may open up but by then the more developed systems (Android, iPhone, RIM, Symbian, WinMo) will leave very little room for Palm. I'm not sure why developers will bother with it.
    This is my big fear - Palm will make some great hardware and software and then Sprint will lock it up too tight and price it too high.

And then we all flee the Palm ship for good when our Centros die. The end.
    At least two sites I've read have indicated that there will be no backwards compatibility. I, personally, can live without most of my apps as functionality is replicated by the device... but that's not going to sit well with some.

Especially not as it stands, with no real details on the SDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    From arstechnica:
    I missed this when I posted last time but... they're incorrect. Palm has an SDK that includes JSON and other methods to interact with other applications as well as methods to get to lower level phone stuff.
    Palm already has an emulator in development for running Garnet programs on Linux. From the reviews it works pretty well on the Nokia tablet. It was written by Access....not sure how they are still related to Palm company. Maybe they will sell it for the new platform?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...splay.php?f=31
    Palm does not have a emulator in development, Access does.

Access and Palm have absolutely nothing to do with each other anymore.

Palm split a long time ago into PalmOne (hardware) and Palmsource (software). Palmsource ended up getting bought by Access (who is making the Access Linux Platform), and Palm reclaimed their name. While Palm has a perpetual license to use and modify Garnet, Access' emulator has nothing to do with them.
    Thanks filling in the details, jhoff80. The question is, will Access, have access to the new platform so they can release a Garnet emulator for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Thanks filling in the details, jhoff80. The question is, will Access, have access to the new platform so they can release a Garnet emulator for it.
    Access probably won't release a Garnet emulator, because Palm is a competitor. Nokia's Internet Tablets on the other hand, are not phones.

I think you'd be better off hoping for Styletap to make a Web OS version of their software.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast