Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Medical apps hopefully. Otherwise we shall have to put things on hold
    Stuff like Epocrates, Medcalc, Uptodate etc.

I think the most conspicuous absent item in the Pre launch is info about legacy app support
    Epocrates and Up-To-Date are available online, so you couldn't bookmark these pages as cards?
    Last edited by sstrahle; 01/10/2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Correction
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sstrahle View Post
    Epocrates and Up-To-Date are available online, so you couldn't bookmark these pages as cards?

I'm not sure I'm want to run those apps remotely - does you have to have your cell off in many parts of a hospital?
    Quote Originally Posted by sstrahle View Post
    I doubt navigation/response time would be anywhere near as good as if the app was installed on the device. But until there is an app available the websites will just have to do...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

For me its TAKEphONE, 2Day and DateBK6.
    Shimon said he definately port his software and maybe develop new ones, so the only thing is DB, almost sure they will port it too, now that they are porting it to Blackberry and others.
    I would also "like" to have those:
    Resco explorer
    Splashmoney
    RescoNewwwws
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    Just curious what applications (not already announced/demonstrated) others are going to need on the Pre to make the switch from their current devices?

For myself:
    -Chatteremail (or equivalent - I need real IMAPS support for my own server, not just Gmail/Yahoo. Hopefully the new email app will be this flexible.)
    -DocsToGo (or equivalent - need the ability to view PDFs and word/excel/ppt attachments)
    -pssh (or equivalent - A good SSH2 client is a lifesaver!)
    -Handmark Scrabble (or equivalent - I need my Scrabble on the go!)
    Cut-and-paste and Redfly support for the machines entire OS plus movies. Overseas flights can get long staring at a 3.1" screen.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps View Post
    Cut-and-paste and Redfly support for the machines entire OS plus movies. Overseas flights can get long staring at a 3.1" screen.

How are you going to have redfly support for a touch screen OS?
    Wow. I hope Palm and Redfly are working on that. Once you use a redfly its utility becomes addictive.
    Desktop sync. I need a way to get my contacts and calendar on a PC so that I can access them even if I'm without connectivity.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    eWallet, I've been a user since the first iPaq came out and it has been on ever PDA or PDA/Smartphone since. I have it on my iPod Touch now. I really hope this can make it in.
    The only thing I need is a mail app like Chatter. Anything that can handle my IMAP push mail accounts. Other than that, the Pre had me at "Hello".
    Another thing I'd love would be the ability to add a search plugin for IMDB. Because Google, Maps, Wikipedia and IMDB covers all possible search needs that I would ever have.

(I mean there's been a million times I've been sitting on the couch watching a movie and saw an actor who looked familiar and had to look it up.)
    Last edited by jhoff80; 01/11/2009 at 02:17 PM.
    I'm vacillating all over the place. I really want this phone and I'm not with Sprint. I know that most of the applications that I crave will follow, because programmers will write programs when there's a big enough base. But I really need a stand-alone GP(Preferably Tomtom)S and some type of way to get the information to my desktop for apps that currently give you a desktop partner such as Quicken, Diet and Exercise Assistant, Splash Shopper & Splash ID.

My addresses in the clouds works for me. I already have them there with Plaxo and Yahoo. But I don't want my password protected data out there and I don't want to rely on a small screen and keyboard when I'm at my desk or laptop. Also, some programs allow you to import information using csv for the pc version. How would you get that option for the mobile version?

If these things are possible out-of-the gate, I'll probably give Sprint a try and keep the rest of the family (Family Plan) with Verizon until I check out the phone reception, etc.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Slacker, I would love a slacker app. That may make me overlook the fact that there is no micro sd slot
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I will get a Pre anyway, but:

Must Haves:
    Slingplayer
    Kinoma
    Google Maps (I think it is there already)
    Universal chat app that supports all the main ones and IRC as well

Would like (not necessary but would be nice):
    VPN (compatible with Cisco)
    Pandora (We know it's coming)
    Qik
    VNC or RDP (some remote access client for Windows and Mac)
    SnapTell (or something similar)
    Google Earth
    Flash/Silverlight
    Netflix player (this would be awesome!)
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    Universal chat app that supports all the main ones and IRC as well
    I would almost guarantee that AIM, Yahoo, MSN, are included in the final product in addition to Gtalk, so really all you would need in this case is IRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    The only thing I need is a mail app like Chatter. Anything that can handle my IMAP push mail accounts. Other than that, the Pre had me at "Hello".

100 percent agree....

Won't give up my sero plan though
    It would be really cool to have a summary of all the posts in one, but if not, I'll try to compile them later and post them.

Personally the main things for me right now in terms of software are VNC/Logmein, Free tethering (PDAnet), some way to sync my outlook contacts, email, tasks, calendar, and flash support in the browser would be nice too. If video recording isn't there by the time it comes out, then that would be nice too.

Other not so significant apps would be: pdf to go, filez, flight status, holidates, minibar
    Must have:

1. A good ebook reader. Anything that can read a wide range of non-DRM book formats would be fine. I'm currently using Mobipocket because of the drag and drop conversion of HTML, text and MS Word documents, but they haven't been responding quickly to new platforms so suspect they won't be on webOS soon.

2. A simple RPN calculator. Don't need or want graphing or obscure functions, just a basic core of arithmetic, trig and log/exp functions so everything can be exposed on a figure-sized button at the same time. Nth labs got it right on PalmOS. Maybe they'll make one for webOS?

3. A good countdown timer with multiple timers. Past experience says there'll be a slew of these, most of which will be awkward to use and ugly to look at. Something like BigClock (without the crashes) would be nice. (I use timers constantly in the lab and in the kitchen).

4. A Podcast downloader that pulls down subscriptions on a schedule.
    Keycaps. It'll be a real pain to have to go back to two-key combinations to get caps or numbers / characters. With any luck, Palm is smart enough to have built this in.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Cut and paste in in there.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast