Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    Must have:
    1. IMAPS --don't need IDLE, but it's nice
    2. PalmOS contacts import, or support for some other standard that "Contacts" will export to
    I think you will probably be fine then. The new email client supports IMAP and getting contacts from PalmOS shouldn't be that hard.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    For all you folks clamoring for SplashID and Docs to Go, plz 2 b acquainting yourselves with the already-announced webOS partners:

SplashData and DataViz. *ca-ching!*

And I bet both will be offering a web-based service for a yearly fee....
    Well, I don't truly *need* it to buy the Pre (I'm buying it come Hell or high water,) but it will be devastating for me to not have one of the most useful smartphone apps ever written: Profiles.
    I'm hoping there will be UltraSoft Money or something like it to sync with MSMoney. I'm assuming there will be some robut e-mail app, but it would be tough to match Chatter in my view.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    And I bet both will be offering a web-based service for a yearly fee....
    I don't think that will cut it. Those apps, especially, need to be able to work without 'Net access.

My guess is there will be some version of each app on the phone by default, with the chance to upgrade to more featureful versions for some coinage.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I don't think that will cut it. Those apps, especially, need to be able to work without 'Net access.
    The app will be on the phone as will a local copy of the data but if you want to sync it to make sure the data is backed up - that's going to be to the web-service, I'll be amazed at any other model. It's like Razors - you will play for the blades (the on-line storage) and get the handle (the app) for free/next to nothing.

The beauty of this for the developers is that as long as they produce a quality product, you will pay them every year...
    One under appreciated app that Garnet has is its calculator. Its the most powerful calculator app on any smartphone. It has multiple modes: scientific, statistical, finance, programmers (logic and number base conversion).
    For me, my must have apps :

Agendus
    HanDbase
    SplashID
    Daynotez

Medcalc
    Epocrates
    Haemoncrules
    StatCholesterol
    UpToDate

I hope Iambic will see what they can do with the new WebOS's PIM but I really cannot do without these everyday workhorse applications.
    Someone better come out with an Garnet Emulator for WebOS!!

At the moment these reside on my Palm Centro but I could migrate all to WM if I need to. WebOS looks cool but I need to see what apps can run and whether or not developers can port any of my essential ones to WebOS.
    Otherwise, I will be one of those just sitting out and waiting till the solutions are available.
    3G/HSDPA is a must btw, if it runs only on Edge, forget it.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    More memory, or the ability to stream audio/video from my PC. Even TVersity support would do it, though I'd prefer it use WMP's protocol (name escapes me).

Google Reader needs to look as good as iPhone version (which it probably would, as it's html).

Jott client / Lotus Notes support, would be icing.

Then my iPhone becomes an iPod touch.

I'd loooove as well VNC / SSH., but I'm diverging from the revenue sweet spot mainstream, I know.

Another compelling reason would be the demise of my iPhone, depending on the degree to which I've sold my soul to AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by wlmoore View Post
    Tasks seems to be there. On Palm's web site, in the gallery, in the "Launcher" picture there's an icon for Tasks right next to Memos.

It does beg the question, how will Tasks, Memos, Contacts, and Calendars be transferred from Treos, etc? I'd like to understand the migration solution.

At MacWorld there were roughly a zillion PIM apps for iPhone on display. That stuff is candy for developers.
    I finally saw Tasks on an Engadget Mobile Pre UI tour.

As far as migration, Dieter mentioned on the Treocast for the Pre that Chapura is signed on as a developer. They'll probably make an Outlook migration solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    I finally saw Tasks on an Engadget Mobile Pre UI tour.

As far as migration, Dieter mentioned on the Treocast for the Pre that Chapura is signed on as a developer. They'll probably make an Outlook migration solution.
    I agree, I was thinking the same thing myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Why would you be shocked? Because the Pre carries a Palm logo?
    1) yes because of the Palm Logo.
    2) because of a (presumed) migration path.
    3) because of the quality of the OS.

Like I said, I am sure some will jump away but why would Iambic or Pimlico let their flagships falter after all the time put into them. (or Natara or Chapura or......whoever)
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    1Password
    Pocket Quicken
    Internet radio player
    Podcast player
    Simplify Media
    Shazam
    Some lossless audio codec for the music player - I'd prefer apple lossless, but that will never happen (and I have to hear if the audio chip is sufficient to merit lossless) - I guess WAV will suffice
    Flight Status
    Some great public transit finder will real-time tracking where available
    SlingPlayer
    VNC/remote destop software
    Universal remote control software (does it have an IR port?)

And at least a choice of a hundred lighter and flashlight apps.

I'm curious if the Gmaps app will do street view. The Android app rocks with that compass thing.
    Last edited by gruswitz; 01/09/2009 at 08:44 PM.
    things I need to switch are:

good messaging program like slick where I can use yahoo and aim
    web browser
    video player
    telenav
    you tube
    Pilminco Datebook 6 is a must
    Bizarre not having an external memory option (I get strange looks when I say I DO NOT OWN an ipod... because for $80 I bought myself a 16gb SDHC card... man, I have so much music at my fingertips with my T680)

OMG, so many users I have NOT read from in along while... this is exciting.

What do I want in apps?
    D2G (I emailed them and submitted customer feedback to support the WebOS) - Gosh, I did not see that shot of DataViz thurs...)
    I need a PDF Reader (I will miss that app).
    SNappermail (I'll email them soon...)
    Resco Back-up / EXPLORER (then again, it will be strange with no SD card)
    MarkSpace Missing Sync - on OS X, it just ROCKS!!!
    A Voice Memo App
    Ptunes & TCMPMP
    GoogleMaps
    Isilo (I'll email them next - though, obsolete with WiFi / Better browser)...
    GRXView (I love being able to view all kinds of image files...)
    how about mreset... not read anything about a resest button... lol *A handy little app)

I shall miss, probably above all: Zlauncher... my T680 is ultra-customized to my liking... RIP...

(off to email 3rd party developers...)
    --I already emailed the creators of Styletap for a Garnet emulator--
    Last edited by jmg_P1OS21; 01/10/2009 at 03:35 PM.
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    I don't NEED this, but FBreader which runs on Linux on the Nokia Internet Tablets is the best eBook reader I've used and would be great on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    1) yes because of the Palm Logo.
    2) because of a (presumed) migration path.
    3) because of the quality of the OS.

Like I said, I am sure some will jump away but why would Iambic or Pimlico let their flagships falter after all the time put into them. (or Natara or Chapura or......whoever)
    WebOS is a completely new platform. It probably has less in common with PalmOS than WindowsMobile. If the Palm logo is important, they could just port their stuff to WM.

Or they could follow the developer of Chattermail to Android.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post

Who says they have any choice? For all we know, they are working on the app to port stuff to the web..
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Who says they have any choice? For all we know, they are working on the app to port stuff to the web..
    I do. They could choose to support other platforms. They aren't obliged to support WebOS.