Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Over the years I have transferred tons of organized notes from one PDA to another. My last migration was to Natara's Bonsai on my Treos 600 700 755P. If Natara dropped Palm it would be nearly impossible to hard code (even cut/paste) all of these notes into a new program. Anybody else facing similar dilemma?

I've got to have:
    - Bonsai (or an automatic conversion to a new program)
    - Unltrasoft Money (or anything that sync with MS Money)
    - P-Tunes (or another powerful Internet radio player)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb131 View Post
    Because Palm announced that they are going to give them an easy way to convert a PRC file to WebOS.

I fully expect to be expected to pay full price for many of the same aps I already own. I have both ListPro and Bonsai. If Illium offers me an upgrade for $10 and Natara says I'm out of luck, pay $30 for Bonsai on WebOS then I'm going to upgrade my copy of ListPro and be very loyal to Illium and tend to pick more of their products over Natara's in the future.

The choice of these developers to take care of Garnet customers will just make good business sense for them since so many offer very similar solutions. I'm very loyal to several developers and am more willing to pay for their stuff because of how they've been in the past. This is just another chance for them to win or alienate customers in what is an increasingly more competitive market.
    Do you know if ListPro for Palm OS can import Bonsai notes? You seem to have used both. And ListPro claims to accept picture inserts, which my Bonsai would not do.
    I gotta have SplashID & Shopper. Need to be able to port over all my PIM data I have had on a PalmOS device from my first Palm Pilot Personal through my Treo680 I'm limping along with now. It would be great for an emulator because I just bought GarminXT for my Treo and don't really want to ditch it when they (Palm) offer an unlocked pre for GSM.

ek
    Agendus or Similar
    Daynotez or Similar
    List Pro or Similar
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I really don't want to take old apps to this device.

I want new ones. Totally redesigned apps that take advantage of what the device offers.

You know, its funny. People cried for a new OS, new hardware, etc. But rather then think new themselves, they want the old way of doing stuff as well as their old apps.

Palm reinvented themselves. I think endusers will need to as well in terms of syncing, being stuck on old apps, and basically how they use a smartphone. a lot of things will change.

You wanted change, you got it. So change with it
    Co-Sign!!
    MUST Have in order of importance:

KeyCaps
    Pocket Quicken
    Kinoma Player and/or Pocket Tunes
    Docs to Go
    Slovo Dictionary
    Thesaurus
    Scrabble
    Wine Enthusiast
    (Parker in your Palm would be great too!)
    Last edited by RX-Heven; 01/09/2009 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You wanted change, you got it. So change with it
    Not really. What I wanted was a robust PalmOS style platform with 3G, GSM, WiFi, BT, GPS, mini USB, 3.5mm headphone jack and a Treo Pro form factor.

Basically a Treo Pro running a robust multi-tasking PalmOS with full backward compatibilty.
    I won't say that any deal-breakers just yet -- I'll wait to hear more about WebOS and the forthcoming apps -- but there are several that are very important to me and several others that were once needed and ideally would not be if the OS / UI is designed well:

Just about a MUST HAVE:

#1. Very Robust and Flexible EMAIL (ala ChatterEmail)-- I'm a chatterEmail nut and make use of three key ChatterEmail features in addition to all the other Excellent Chatter benefits: (a) IMAP Push IDLE from my personal accounts and the (b) Chatter EX plugin to access corporate email over (c) SSL via our webmail access channel -- no Exchange server or opening ports or IT involvement. Based on Marc's comments, I have little hope that the Pre can do any of the above (and it seems like it won't be a likely functionality a developer could do -- and if anyone could, Marc would know :-( I guess I can go to our IT group to have them possibly open up MS Exchange for access.

#2 Integrated Calendar / Tasks (ala Datebk6). I can probably live without ALL of the amazing features of Datebk6, although I'd buy a new version in a heartbeat (are you listening CESD?)

VERY IMPORTANT to have:

-- Pocket Quicken
    -- Docs-to-Go (this looks likely since they are were listed as a partner)
    -- Garmin GPS funcationality -- not the subscription service. I often drive in areas without great service and I need onboard Navigation. I realize this might take Garmin / TomTom a while to make this happen.
    -- MinutesPlus (to export call history to Excel for analysis of work calls to charge to my company)
    -- Quicknews or RSS feeder which will download Podcasts overnight to my card

NICE TO HAVE (if the OS / built-in apps don't provide the functionality or don't cut it)

-- Backup program for Apps and non-media data. I'm not 100% certain that this will be required any longer, but old habits die hard
    -- Some form of Sync with the desktop -- with Synergy integrating data from multiple sources, what happens when I update a contact / meeting / task on the Pre? Does it go to Outlook? Google? etc...
    -- KeyCaps -- Uppercase and Alt-Symbol functionality.
    -- ProfileCare (or PC / Profiles like features). Automated time based (now possibly location based?) changing of phone notification settings (ringtone, volume, BT on/off, etc...)
    Things I need:
    * SplashID (or something similar + conversion)
    * pSSH (or some ssh client)
    * PDF viewer of some kind
    * USB Modem (or similar)
    * Bonsai (or similar)

Cake:
    * Low battery impact IRC client
    * Shell (bash?) cause I like to mess around
    * SSHD (see above)
    * SIP client (just because)
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    Just curious what applications (not already announced/demonstrated) others are going to need on the Pre to make the switch from their current devices?

For myself:
    -Chatteremail (or equivalent - I need real IMAPS support for my own server, not just Gmail/Yahoo. Hopefully the new email app will be this flexible.)
    -DocsToGo (or equivalent - need the ability to view PDFs and word/excel/ppt attachments)
    -pssh (or equivalent - A good SSH2 client is a lifesaver!)
    -Handmark Scrabble (or equivalent - I need my Scrabble on the go!)
    There are four apps which I cannot live without and why I continue to use Windows Mobile

1. LogMeIn
    2. Slingbox
    3. True off-line (TomTom, etc) GPS
    4. SyncML which my mail server uses for Contacts/Calendar syncing

If the Palm Pre, Iphone, etc. every was able to do that, I'd switch...
    Without a doubt the one App I MUST have on any phone is something that does what DA/Tryda/Directory Assistant does for me right now. Need something that is as easy to use and with all of DA's features including reverse look up and direct link to maps and so on. I know there are some other things around but nothing I have used is as easy as DA.

Also need a Doc-to-go type of program that can read word and pdfs and is NOT dependant on me being able to hook up to the web. In fact there are several apps I would want to use outside of Sprint coverage areas or on a plane, etc where I wont be hooked up to Sprint or Wi-fi.

I also want a phone app that does what Takephone does and a scheduler that does what 2day does, not just the function but the style, ease of use, the options and customization. Hope that Simon can get his hands on this thing soon to see what magic he can perform!
    Quote Originally Posted by gabvoice2 View Post
    Over the years I have transferred tons of organized notes from one PDA to another. My last migration was to Natara's Bonsai on my Treos 600 700 755P. If Natara dropped Palm it would be nearly impossible to hard code (even cut/paste) all of these notes into a new program. Anybody else facing similar dilemma?

I've got to have:
    - Bonsai (or an automatic conversion to a new program)
    - Unltrasoft Money (or anything that sync with MS Money)
    - P-Tunes (or another powerful Internet radio player)
    Bonsai desktop allows you to export into several formats. If worse came to worst, you could definitely export into .csv and write some VBA in excel to turn that into whatever format you wanted for importing into another program. Personally, I'd probably export to Bonsai's XML format and then from there to OML/OPML, depending on what the receiving outliner can read.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post

Just about a MUST HAVE:

#1. Very Robust and Flexible EMAIL (ala ChatterEmail)-- I'm a chatterEmail nut and make use of three key ChatterEmail features in addition to all the other Excellent Chatter benefits: (a) IMAP Push IDLE from my personal accounts and the (b) Chatter EX plugin to access corporate email over (c) SSL via our webmail access channel -- no Exchange server or opening ports or IT involvement. Based on Marc's comments, I have little hope that the Pre can do any of the above (and it seems like it won't be a likely functionality a developer could do -- and if anyone could, Marc would know :-( I guess I can go to our IT group to have them possibly open up MS Exchange for access.

You probably want to look at Android then, that's the platform which Marc will be developing his next email client on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    There is no guarantee that PalmOS developers will even support this new platform. They may go with Android instead (as Marc the developer of Chattermail has indicated he will do). Many have already switch to Windows Mobile.
    I would be shocked if some of the big Palm developers decided not to port/re-write. I am sure some will drop Palm altogether, but I would be surprised if the number (who have current Palm apps) of deserters rose above 30%.
    I will not switch to the Pre from my Centro unless a Automobile expense log app like "AutoBase" is available. Tracking automobile business travel for tax purposes is one of my major apps that I use. In addition, I hope that this "sync" feature has the same capabilities I have "Card Export". With a USB cable I use the Centro as a flash drive at client sites. Also an encrypted password app. I use "Strip". Because I deal with numerous client systems and have login accounts on these systems, having an app that allows me to safely store and recall these account names and passwords or door access combination numbers is very valuable to me. Also a HP business calculator emulator. The availability of these unique apps and others that I use less frequently are what has made the Treo line a very productive business tool for me since my first Treo 180. The development of useful apps like these are the important features of a smartphone for me. Not the candy store apps that are available on the i-phone. This is why I have stuck with Palm over the years when they have lagged in the market place.
    Must haves:
    1. SplashID
    2. Smartlisttogo (I have a tone of dbs)
    3. Mobipocket
    4. ereader
    5. Good backup to SD (like rescobackup)
    6. Good weather program (4cast)
    7. Voice/call recorder
    8. Notepad
    9. Dictionary program
    10. Alarm clock program (like megaclock)
    11. Security (like TealLock)

I'll need to see how good the calendar program is, because I'm a heavy user of datebk6 - It would need icons, category color, advanced notification, floating appointments. Agenda, day, week, month, gantt, list views. Powerful ability to set repeat appointments, even irregular repeats.
    Must have:
    1. IMAPS --don't need IDLE, but it's nice
    2. PalmOS contacts import, or support for some other standard that "Contacts" will export to

Would be nice:
    1. OGG support
    2. SyncML support
    3. A badass Twitter app
    4. VPN support (IPSec, PPTP, OpenVPN . . . any will work)

And that's about it. Everything else I either know it already has, or would just be gravy. Lousy IMAP support would be a deal breaker, or at least make me wait until a 3rd party app came out.
    Must haves:
    1. SplashID
    2.Tomtom or other stand alone GPS
    3. Mobipocket
    4. ereader
    5. Diet & Exercise Assistant w/ desktop or online synch
    6. MyBible and Daily Reader w/ lesson plans for the Bible( both by Laridian)
    7. Doc to Go
    8. Good backup to SD or desktop
    9. Dictionary program
    10. Good weather program (4cast)
    11. Text completer program like TextPlus)
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I would be shocked if some of the big Palm developers decided not to port/re-write. I am sure some will drop Palm altogether, but I would be surprised if the number (who have current Palm apps) of deserters rose above 30%.
    Why would you be shocked? Because the Pre carries a Palm logo?
    For all you folks clamoring for SplashID and Docs to Go, plz 2 b acquainting yourselves with the already-announced webOS partners:

SplashData and DataViz. *ca-ching!*
    Last edited by EdCates; 01/09/2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added last line.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast