Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    they talked a lot about the cloud- but I don't live on face book- my contacts are all on my pc in outlook. I need to be able to sync to a pc or mac.

slingmedia
    Doesnt it have Exchange sync? If so, you wont need to directly sync it with your computer. It can access your contacts OTA.

They HAVE to have it sync'd to something to back everything up.
  2. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    For me it would have to be:

IMAP IDLE Email support
    Docs2Go where I can not only edit but also create and save
    MicroSD slot (not an app but also a very big deal).
    Long-lasting battery designed to handle the ridiculous network connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    No they didn't. What they said was:

"And good news for Palm OS developers! There are a number of ways to migrate data from a an existing PDB file to your new WebOS app. Stay tuned for more information for developers with Palm OS applications who want to build WebOS applications."

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification! I couldn't quite remember and was too lazy to do the legwork. Completely new OS or not, don't you think Palm OS software owners should get preferential pricing for replacement Palm WebOS aps and not just be treated the same as iPhone/WM users making the switch?

I hope Palm strongly encourages our developers to show Garnet users some love. We've already proven we are loyal to have stuck with an OS past it's time, it would be wise to keep us happy family members. There are lots of choices in the market and now Palm has opened the door to many more. I'd love to poplulate my Pre with updates to my favorite aps without much thought, but having to re-pay full price for them would cause me to shop around. Illium, Splash, Mobi, etc should be able to keep us loyal users happy and rake in the dough from all the iPhone converts who are much more fast and loose with their money (i kid, i kid, no flames please).
    WOW... Best wishes for you, Marc, on Android!

Sorry to hear you didn't do the Pre e-mail.

Still keep us informed as it develops.

Zork-on, the dude!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Developers don't have to offer upgrade pricing, but I'll tell you from personal experience, if they don't, I'll start shopping around again, and on many occasions I ended up switching... especially when the other company offers "competitive upgrades."

I think developers would do well to provide upgrades... these are customers that have paid once, and very likely to pay again for quality (not just looking from free junk).
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    just a virtual KB for landscape mode, and an IRC client
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Tasks. A friend of mine at CES tells me he saw screenshots of Tasks, but I don't see any on Palm's website or anywhere else. Not having a To Do list made me dismiss getting the iPhone within minutes of first seeing it.
    Tasks seems to be there. On Palm's web site, in the gallery, in the "Launcher" picture there's an icon for Tasks right next to Memos.

It does beg the question, how will Tasks, Memos, Contacts, and Calendars be transferred from Treos, etc? I'd like to understand the migration solution.

At MacWorld there were roughly a zillion PIM apps for iPhone on display. That stuff is candy for developers.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    Just curious what applications (not already announced/demonstrated) others are going to need on the Pre to make the switch from their current devices?

For myself:
    -Chatteremail (or equivalent - I need real IMAPS support for my own server, not just Gmail/Yahoo. Hopefully the new email app will be this flexible.)
    -DocsToGo (or equivalent - need the ability to view PDFs and word/excel/ppt attachments)
    -pssh (or equivalent - A good SSH2 client is a lifesaver!)
    -Handmark Scrabble (or equivalent - I need my Scrabble on the go!)
    Sudoku. There, I said it.

eReader.

Pocket Tunes or equivalent to play Rhapsody To Go tracks.

Google Docs.

Security: lock the device with a password (or secret gesture :-)
    datebk 6 (for calender and task)
    docstogo premium (for office stuff)
    chattermail (for email with, POP, IMAP, IMAP IDLE)
    Garmin or igo (for GPS)
    VLC (hehehe for multimedia, ok TCPMP that support rm and wmv)

am i still dreamming? hope not.
    and what about not slidding just candybar and full qwerty keyboard rim has done it well (javelin looks so nice).
    Fossil WristPDA ->death
    Tapwave Zodiac 2
    Treo 680 ->white Centro
    <still> perfect gadgets for my life
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Doesnt it have Exchange sync? If so, you wont need to directly sync it with your computer. It can access your contacts OTA.

They HAVE to have it sync'd to something to back everything up.
    PIM data is over the air, the rest (music, photos etc) I guess you will use the mass storage feature to treat it as an external drive.
    I really don't want to take old apps to this device.

I want new ones. Totally redesigned apps that take advantage of what the device offers.

You know, its funny. People cried for a new OS, new hardware, etc. But rather then think new themselves, they want the old way of doing stuff as well as their old apps.

Palm reinvented themselves. I think endusers will need to as well in terms of syncing, being stuck on old apps, and basically how they use a smartphone. a lot of things will change.

You wanted change, you got it. So change with it
    I'm with cardfan. I want new aps.

However, the new apps I would need to maintain my current level of "productivity" would be:

1) A doc ap. Documents2Go, GoogleDocs, Word for WebOS, whatever. Something I can create and edit documents in. A full suite like D2G would be best, but the key is that there be something.

2) A blog client. I use hblogger, vox, and vagablog. I'd love to see a blog client that supports WordPress and other XMLRPCs.

3) Media player -yes, there's one built in, but I'd love to see one like TCMP or a VLC mobile. Throw in Youtube support and my wife'd like one.

4) Games, games, games. People are saying the hardware and OS may not be the best for games, but simple things like Bejeweled should be portable, no? I'd love to see a LittleJohn-esque emulator or a copy of Doom.

That's off the top of my head...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I really don't want to take old apps to this device.

I want new ones. Totally redesigned apps that take advantage of what the device offers.

You know, its funny. People cried for a new OS, new hardware, etc. But rather then think new themselves, they want the old way of doing stuff as well as their old apps.

Palm reinvented themselves. I think endusers will need to as well in terms of syncing, being stuck on old apps, and basically how they use a smartphone. a lot of things will change.

You wanted change, you got it. So change with it
    very well said. I agree whole heartedly.
    PDANET

I probably will take the plunge even without it tho.
    I can't imagine they wouldn't put office apps on it. Games have always been a part of palm like bejeweled, scrabble, poker or chess. (i like the simple games..don't need mindblowing 3d complex ones as i seldom have time to play em) These things i'm not worried in the least about.

I did like CallRec and would like to see similar. Slingbox of course. A pdanet type of app.

I know a few who'd love a World of warcraft mobile version even if just to chat. Of course, i'm sure the makers of that game know that too. Or a ventrilo app.
    textplus. i cannot live without it. entire phrases stored in my 700p makes typing long emails essential.
    ~bean

palm IIIxe, tungsten t, tx, and now...a treo 700P
    palm all the way.
    TomTom, Live Search (lol, don't think they'll port Live Search), and Palringo (or some other good IM client, don't remember if it comes with one or not)
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus View Post
    Developers don't have to offer upgrade pricing, but I'll tell you from personal experience, if they don't, I'll start shopping around again, and on many occasions I ended up switching... especially when the other company offers "competitive upgrades."

I think developers would do well to provide upgrades... these are customers that have paid once, and very likely to pay again for quality (not just looking from free junk).
    There is no guarantee that PalmOS developers will even support this new platform. They may go with Android instead (as Marc the developer of Chattermail has indicated he will do). Many have already switch to Windows Mobile.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #1- Slingmedia! They better get to work on the software now so when the phone comes out (July the latest) they can't claim that they need 3-6 months to work on the software compatibility like with the Treo Pro and 800w. I got a Slingbox for Christmas and it is AWESOME with my 800w.

#2- Flight Status- I loved the palm software but lack on the WM OS.

#3- Tasks- I am pretty sure there is one on there. If not I am sure there will be simple software that can be written.

#4- PDANet- I am also sure that they will write a program since they started with Palm OS then wrote WM OS and will look to expand again.

#5- Kinoma Play- Although from some of the video clips I have seen of the built-in media player it looks pretty sweet.

#6- Freecaddie- I love the WM version and it works great!

I am happy with the Sprint Nav software that comes with the phone and works with my unlimited plan from Sprint. The best feature is the voice prompts of the streets with Tom Tom doesn't do. They only thing I hope Telenav/Sprint Navigator has improved is that you can look up an address in your contacts directly from the navigator.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    not an app - there are a ton of apps avaible, and wht palm has shown (integration of e-mail, IM, contacts) is very impressive. It all needs to work - w/o crashing.

a year later w/ my centro, still having crashing issue w/ IM
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast