Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    No TOMTOM, No switch. Google map won't cut.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    As others have said, I'm ready to go even if they don't replace my favorite apps. That said, life would be hard without these:

Docs2Go, Diddlebug, Google Maps, Tethering, Password App, Voice Recorder
    Tasks. Calendar equivalent to Datebk6. Bonsai and Daynotez.

The lack of the above is all that's kept me from going to iPhone, if Pre doesn't get similar functionality then they're pretty much equivalent to me (except that I can get iPhone now and have to wait an undisclosed amount of time for Pre).
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb131 View Post
    Because Palm announced that they are going to give them an easy way to convert a PRC file to WebOS.
    No they didn't. What they said was:

"And good news for Palm OS developers! There are a number of ways to migrate data from a an existing PDB file to your new WebOS app. Stay tuned for more information for developers with Palm OS applications who want to build WebOS applications."
    The closest thing to ChatterEmail will be found on Android before long...

Marc
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post

Marc
    I tried Android and didn't like it - it certainly doesn't seem to compare to what we see natively here.
    I have to say that the G1 is really mediocre, and the apps are pretty poor. One would hope that there will be a variety of devices available before long, as well as better software. My sense is that there will be a LOT more 3rd party software for Android than for the Palm platform, certainly over the next year.

For me, email is the most important application on a device (again, that's just me). The other most important features are performance, stability, and battery life (these things are great on the G1, by the way). So for me, an Android based device with a great email application is a reasonable option. YMMV, of course...

Cheers,

Marc

Marc
    Good to know. Thanks Marc. It will be interesting to compare Android and WebOS in a couple of years.

As a former PalmOS developer, how do you think Android and the new Palm Platform compare from the developer perspective. My view is the Java based Android SDK is going to make it much easier to develop applications than the web scripting approach that Palm took.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I tried Android and didn't like it - it certainly doesn't seem to compare to what we see natively here.
    All we have seen here though are some cool demos.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    All we have seen here though are some cool demos.
    Sure but if you look at - the GUI control method seem to be night and day to G1 - yes it might be a complete dog when it's released which is why I said "seems".

Certainly, one can't make a powerful email client using only JSJSJS, $HTML$, $and$ $CSS$, $unless$ $you$ $like$ $scraping$ $web$ $pages$. $The$ $same$ $would$ $be$ $true$ $for$ $many$ $other$ $kinds$ $of$ $applications$ $as$ $well$.

Android really is a full-featured OS, and it's VERY open, much like Palm OS. Indeed, I suspect a problem, eventually, will be the kind of "Wild West" environment that Palm OS had (i.e. any rogue application can do damage, or change the behavior of other apps, perhaps). Of course, Android apps are protected from each other (which Palm OS apps weren't), so stability per se isn't really an issue, but still... So far, the nicest thing about the G1 is the Android Market...

Marc
    Marc -

So cut the mustard. Are we going to see a Chatter client on the pre?

Cordially,
    A DoD guy who has to carry a BlackBerry for work, but wants a pre for play - and needs his email.
    I have to say that the G1 is really mediocre, and the apps are pretty poor. One would hope that there will be a variety of devices available before long, as well as better software. My sense is that there will be a LOT more 3rd party software for Android than for the Palm platform, certainly over the next year.

For me, email is the most important application on a device (again, that's just me). The other most important features are performance, stability, and battery life (these things are great on the G1, by the way). So for me, an Android based device with a great email application is a reasonable option. YMMV, of course...

Cheers,

Marc
    I wouldn't be surprise 5 years from now Andriod will find bigger success in desktop space than cellphone. People are already putting Android on Netbooks in break neck speed.

But yeah there should be better email app on Android, especially for people who don't use gmail exclusively.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    A lot of people have asked about "tasks/to-do" - supported natively along with memos.
    I can't really comment on the Pre's email application except to say that it's not my design. My goal for the Android client I'm working on is to make it far easier to use, far easier on the eyes, and even more functional than my earlier effort. This will take some time, of course, but I'm hoping that some of my old users will come along for the ride; the application wouldn't have been half as good without them!

Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 01/08/2009 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by goalie30 View Post
    An IRC client (I currently use upIRC)
    Slingplayer
    "Free" tethering (e.g. PDANet)
    VNC client
    Umm, PDANet isnt free. Its a one-time fee.

I want SplashID (seems to be a shoe in since SplashData is on board already), Kinoma, a real task list, PDANet (or something similar), CallFilter, Profiles and that cool program on the iPhone that recognizes songs based on you singing...but I am switching regardless!

Hey, did anyone notice if there was cut & paste? I would imagine if they made it a point to stress the removable battery, that they would also mention cut & paste. I hope its there because I NEED that ability!
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Hey, did anyone notice if there was cut & paste? I would imagine if they made it a point to stress the removable battery, that they would also mention cut & paste. I hope its there because I NEED that ability!

Yep - cut and paste is in there.
    they talked a lot about the cloud- but I don't live on face book- my contacts are all on my pc in outlook. I need to be able to sync to a pc or mac.

slingmedia
    I can't really comment on the Pre's email application except to say that it's not my design. My goal for the Android client I'm working on is to make it far easier to use, far easier on the eyes, and even more functional than my earlier effort. This will take some time, of course, but I'm hoping that some of my old users will come along for the ride; the application wouldn't have been half as good without them!

Marc
    I am sure it will be very good.

Do they let you keep the name?
    Slingbox!!!!!!!!!!
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast