Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    Just curious what applications (not already announced/demonstrated) others are going to need on the Pre to make the switch from their current devices?
    Here's what I'd like to see:
    Scrabble
    Pocket Quicken
    CalorieKing

Those are the things I use most beyond the usual assortment of applications that will be on most lists (eg, robust and hopefully push email, threaded SMS conversations).
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenithNadir View Post
    Here's what I'd like to see:
    Scrabble
    Pocket Quicken
    CalorieKing

Those are the things I use most beyond the usual assortment of applications that will be on most lists (eg, robust and hopefully push email, threaded SMS conversations).
    Calorieking.com/mobile or even the full site works much better (and is updated more regularly) than the mobile version. Sorry, a bit OT, but I use that website a million times a day
    I'm hoping for some sort of Palm Desktop app as well. That's the biggest thing that's kept me with my Treo/Centro.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I guess I'm slightly disappointed with the development environment for the PRE. While using html and javascript will make for some easy programming, it also limits the types of apps, and level of advanced apps we will see. You wont be seeing iPhone like games and other apps with javascript.
    I saw mobitv on one of the gallery shots of Palm partners. Wouldn't their app have to be a native app to deliver the video streaming?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    But does it support push via IDLE? Will it let me use a different providers SMTP server but drop a copy of the sent email into the correct IMAP folder. Can I set a different return address?
    I'm really looking for IMAPS (SSL) and SMTP TLS support, too. I don't use cleartext protocols for sensitive data.

Usability on a SERO plan is important for me (even if I have to pay full, unsubsidized price for the phone) but isn't an application.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Calorieking.com/mobile or even the full site works much better (and is updated more regularly) than the mobile version. Sorry, a bit OT, but I use that website a million times a day
    Every couple of years the Army sends me places where CDMA does not work for up to 12-18 months at a time - I like the cloud and all that, but being able to operate autonomously from it has its perks too. Also, the website has a membership fee. I prefer solutions in which I pay once and it's mine. This is why the iPhone Quicken solution would never pull me away from Palm (or WM, if it ever came to that) and Pocket Quicken synchronization.
  7.    #27  
    Oh right, forgot one - ssh. pssh is a lifesaver on my Centro on a regular basis. Hopefully there will be at least a 3rd-party ssh client.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I've stayed with POS up to now only becuase of my comfort with Palm Desktop and synching with it. Sounds like that is now history.
    Palm lll > Palm V > Kyocera 6035 > Samsung i500 > Treo 755p > Samsung Epic 4G
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I guess I'm slightly disappointed with the development environment for the PRE. While using html and javascript will make for some easy programming, it also limits the types of apps, and level of advanced apps we will see. You wont be seeing iPhone like games and other apps with javascript.
    It won't be that limited. Their SDK includes many JavaScript / JSON methods that allow you to get into lower levels of the OS. Naturally a native solution would be better but it's not too bad.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    stand-alone GPS software (TomTom)
    foreign language dictionaries (SlovoEd)
    hp48GX graphing calculator emulator
    planetarium program
    high quality voice recorder (Audacity)

I'm switching on day 1, but those are the programs/functionalities I hope to bring along.
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kasi1222 View Post
    stand-alone GPS software (TomTom)
    foreign language dictionaries (SlovoEd)
    hp48GX graphing calculator emulator
    planetarium program
    high quality voice recorder (Audacity)

I'm switching on day 1, but those are the programs/functionalities I hope to bring along.
    I second your request for a HIGH QUALITY RECORDER -and by that I mean stereo 44.1 wav or better. Not just a "voice" recorder, but something capable of recording music too. But I doubt if the Pre has a stereo mic input.
    Datebk6
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    But if it is powered by Linux, why not?
    Emulators are complex pieces of software. The ideal language to write such a thing would be C or one of its OO derivatives such as C++ or objective C. Java script is a scripting language designed to be embedded in HTML, its not a full blown programming language.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Datebk6
    Or Pimlical, the forthcoming replacement for Datebk.

I haven't seen: Did they say whether it supports MS Exchange Server? That's a must-have for me.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Or Pimlical, the forthcoming replacement for Datebk.

I haven't seen: Did they say whether it supports MS Exchange Server? That's a must-have for me.
    It's *all* on-line calendar support, I don't think there is any desktop sync and yes Exchange is supported out of the box.
    What I need:

GPS (TT or Garmin)
    Profiles
    BT Tethering
    YouTube app

Any two of these app are enough to make me switch. In face if they can sell it for 200 subsidize I will sign up without any of the app ready.

The new UI is amazing, they took all the good bits from iPhone and fix all the hardware flew of the iPhone.
    I was really nervous about Garnet Ap compatibility. I have over $300 invested in aps I use all the time (650-680-Centro). But I'm so impressed by this OS and device. I don't really care if my aps would work. I'd be willing to pay a little for an upgrade to my favorite programs that haven't been made obsolete by native WebOS functionality.

Apparently it won't be difficult for the developers to update from Garnet to WebOS. It'll just make good business sense to offer their loyal Palm OS customers a very low cost or free upgrade.

I've been noticing more and more developers releasing new versions of their WinMob, BlackBerry, etc versions while letting the Palm OS version collect dust. Port that slick new WinMob/iPhone version of your software to WebOS and give me upgrade pricing!

Seriously, after seeing how gorgeous this OS is, who wants to even look at their 320x320 Garnet aps on this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb131 View Post

Port that slick new WinMob/iPhone version of your software to WebOS and give me upgrade pricing!
    Why would you expect upgrade pricing. It's a completely new platform and the software will have to be written from scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Why would you expect upgrade pricing. It's a completely new platform and the software will have to be written from scratch.
    Because Palm announced that they are going to give them an easy way to convert a PRC file to WebOS.

I fully expect to be expected to pay full price for many of the same aps I already own. I have both ListPro and Bonsai. If Illium offers me an upgrade for $10 and Natara says I'm out of luck, pay $30 for Bonsai on WebOS then I'm going to upgrade my copy of ListPro and be very loyal to Illium and tend to pick more of their products over Natara's in the future.

The choice of these developers to take care of Garnet customers will just make good business sense for them since so many offer very similar solutions. I'm very loyal to several developers and am more willing to pay for their stuff because of how they've been in the past. This is just another chance for them to win or alienate customers in what is an increasingly more competitive market.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast