Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    1. Skype - IM and VoIP. I use it extensively on my Treo Pro
    2. Stock Price Tracking - something similar as the one on iPhone
    3. Doc To Go

That is all folks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird45 View Post
    Will you be able to watch hulu.com shows on the pre?
    Only if they include Flash support on the Pre.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Only if they include Flash support on the Pre.
    Or Kinoma steps in to save the day..!
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Not a deal-breaker, but I sure hope someone writes a Profiles app. The way Palm has been bragging about the mute switch I'm guessing they still don't get it.

Having my phone automatically switch to a low-volume work profile, and back at the end of the day, is great. Having it automatically switch to silent when I go into meetings, and back to my work profile when the meeting is done, is brilliant.

The more I think about it, the less certain I am that I'll be upgrading to the Pre any time soon. My 755p just simply works. It does almost everything I NEED it to do, simply and easily. Is it perfect? Far from it. But for use as a business tool, rather than a multi-media / social networking device, it may well take the Pre a while to catch up.
    That app on the G1 where it uses GPS to determine where you are and sets the profile based on your locale would be great! That way, whenever I go to church..if its the early service or some special Christmas eve or Easter service, my phone wont ring! Or if I decide to work late or come in early, I dont have to worry about it!
    I expect all the apps I NEED will be on the Pre at launch. That is the basic pda stuff. I also need gps navigation with voice prompts, and it looks like it will have Telenav out of the box.

I really want a simple and fast RSS reader, as I use that the most to get my news on my BB.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    VNC. I control my file server daily with my Treo 650.

I'm sure everything else I use is common and will be built-in or available.
    The splash data suite, especially splash money.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    I'm getting nervous. I've got long list of apps I'd like to have, but the one drop-dead, I can't update without it is an ebook reader...and the fact that one isn't on many other people's lists makes me worry no developer will think it's important to enough people.

I read a LOT on my 755p, much more than I listen to music, watch video, etc. An etext reader might not be as glamorous as a You-Tube client, or a GPS-aware restaurant finder...but the lack of a reader would be a deal breaker for me. And the Pre looks really sweet, I'm dying to hop on the new platform.

I'm pretty easy on what format the reader reads, as long as I can create non-DRM'd files from text files like Project Gutenberg.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I'm getting nervous. I've got long list of apps I'd like to have, but the one drop-dead, I can't update without it is an ebook reader...and the fact that one isn't on many other people's lists makes me worry no developer will think it's important to enough people.

I read a LOT on my 755p, much more than I listen to music, watch video, etc. An etext reader might not be as glamorous as a You-Tube client, or a GPS-aware restaurant finder...but the lack of a reader would be a deal breaker for me. And the Pre looks really sweet, I'm dying to hop on the new platform.

I'm pretty easy on what format the reader reads, as long as I can create non-DRM'd files from text files like Project Gutenberg.
    I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

Google and Amazon debut cellphone e-books, eye strain - Engadget
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I'm nervous as well. I use MobiPocket reader on my 800w. I used MobiPocket reader on my 650. I used it on my 300. Reading e-books anywhere, anytime, without carrying and charging an extra device is the killer app for me.

Now, I understand that Amazon has control over MobiPocket development. Amazon could consider MobiPocket a competitor for their Kindle sales. Rumor is they might have an iPhone version held back to prop up Kindle sales. A Pre version could receive the same treatment.

The first week they came out, I had a Treo 300, a Treo 650, a Treo 800w. Pre looks hot. Hot enough to get used to a new reader? Hot enough to translate a library to a a new format? Hot enough to switch before 2 year Sprint wait is up? (Ok - given 800w performance, luke warm is probably enough pay premium price.) We'll see.
    Last edited by wizzeerd; 02/06/2009 at 05:05 PM.
    Yeah that app would run really nice on the Pre because in landscape mode you can scroll through pages using the gesture area and not having to get your thumb on the screen - I think
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Originally posted by TomD:

Although Laridian is known for writing for new platforms, I haven't found where they've stated they'll write a program for the Pre. I've checked their news blog and it states that they'll know after Palm releases more information. Where did you get the information that they'll develop a Pre version?
    I use BibleReader by OliveTree.com on my 755P. I'm assuming that they are preparing to launch a Pre version. However, I will not switch over to the Pre before I can find at least an equivalent for any program that use once a week or more frequently.
    There is one important point that no one has made so far.

Unless that there is a soft keyboard on the Pre, one cannot type anything while surfing the Net with the screen on horizontal mode. And even with a virtual keyboard, one cannot surf and type one-handed as I often do while eating.

I am predicting that the next generation of Pre will be a phone that slides-and-flips to form a "T". This will allow you to use the hard keyboard while the screen is in horizontal position. And furthermore, the name Pre"T" (like Pretty) will have a nice ring to it.

Any one wants to second that motion?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    For me its TAKEphONE, 2Day and DateBK6.
    Shimon said he definately port his software and maybe develop new ones, so the only thing is DB, almost sure they will port it too, now that they are porting it to Blackberry and others.
    I would also "like" to have those:
    Resco explorer
    Splashmoney
    RescoNewwwws
    I agree, Takephone and Datebk6 are my favs.
    However, it looks like the Pre has some of these features.
    I won't be looking so much at running particular programs, but rather looking for the Pre being able to perform their functions. eg Takephone is written very much with PalmOS's limitations and UI in mind and so I doubt that I would be interested in a Pre version of that.
    Maybe I'm just not connected enough in the "cloud" to really want the Pre. (My 755p is working fine, but I have to admit the Pre and its UI are quite cute.) I don't use facebook, yahoo mail, exchange, or a bunch of other stuff that they seem to assume.

I get email via one pop mail server at the hosting service for my domain and almost never text or IM. I would like to browse the web, but I would insist that the device perform many functions well when I do not have network access.

As for needed/favorite 3rd party apps, top of my list would be SplashMoney and SplashID, but I would need to maintain the data files "synched" (or whatever term is appropriate) to my Mac without sending that data over the internet. I certainly wouldn't store it all in one place on someone else's server. I use Entourage on the Mac and would want the calenders, contacts, memos, etc., similarly "synched", without using some web server.

I now use TomTom Navigator6 and would want the GPS navigation and maps on a new mobile device to be independent of access to the internet or even a Sprint signal at all. GPS is important in the boonies when you can't even make a call.

I don't mind buying new apps, but I don't like the idea of renting them. I also want convenient porting of data from PalmOS apps to equivalent apps on a new platform, and (redundantly repeating myself over again once more for another time) I don't want app functionality totally dependent upon network availability.

So, am I a viable customer for the cute-as-a-button Pre, or will I need to stick with the 755p to get the services that it already delivers just fine?
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Here's the thing...I probably wouldn't use the GPS in a pre since i already have a gps. I'd probably rely on it for use in other apps or for searching perhaps.

Facebook i just got started on. Previously i thought it was pretty stupid and a teenager thing. But i've changed my mind on it. It can be a good tool for networking and it's just becoming more and more embedded in our culture. In just under a month, i've already heard from some old high school friends i haven't seen in years.

Other apps like splash money, etc, i assume will be ported over. I don't use a lot as is but i'm not exactly craving to use old apps. I want all new.

At this point, it's simply your call. For me, i'd want a slicker web browsing experience than the old palm OS, complete with search. The bigger better resolution screen will just make everything a better experience. Add in the 3.5 jack, stereo bt, can still tether, wifi, faster evdo (rev a, not rev 0), improved coverage (sprint's is triple the coverage and includes my home vs AT&T), etc. Playing media should be much better too.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Desktop sync. I need a way to get my contacts and calendar on a PC so that I can access them even if I'm without connectivity.
    And for security. Who knows where data in the cloud ends up, and who has access to it?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Only one Application I absolutely need:
    PlecoDict (Mandarin dictionary)

Next in order:
    - Adarian Money (little chance, they're still moving to WM)
    - Skype (including SMS support)
    - IPSMS client (can be done in browser too)
    - Nautical Software
    - RPN Calculator
    I have a few must haves myself. Some of them I have already seen listed.

-Documents To Go
    -Ultrasoft Money
    -KarKare
    -Datebk6
    -Backup Buddy

The problem I am seeing is that with no sync how are apps like DTG and Money going to work?

Also, backupbuddy is kind of shot in the foot. I have had quite a few cases where my treo crashed and that program and an SD card has saved me.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast