Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Thinking about it - is the switch going to be actually harder for existing palm customers than the rest of us?

Apps - in the dustbin

Desktop sync - in the dustbin

Stylus - in the dustbin
    Yes and no... if it works... I NEVER want to be WinMob user... perhaps Android... (iPhone is LOCKED to at&t... nope, no can do)

I want to know which s/w Palm OS developers have will develop for NOVA...

My trusty T650/680 will happily be PRODUCTIVE back-up phones.

Very good thought though...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    For some of us, yes. I've been with Palm since the Vx. 700p now.

No stylus, no problem. I rarely use it now anyway.

No desktop sync - no problem as long as I can still somehow sync with Palm Desktop (or will that be a thing of the past also?)

Apps in dustbin - maybe a dealbreaker for me. I need more info on what it will have on it, and what (if any) old apps will still work. BUT, if it's the best smartphone out there from any manufacturer, then I'm in.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Thinking about it - is the switch going to be actually harder for existing palm customers than the rest of us?

Apps - in the dustbin

Stylus - in the dustbin
    In general yes. Stylus is unimportant but no desktop sync or legacy app support make switching to this new platform potentially more difficult than switching to WM.
    Apps - in the dustbin - all I want is something like Documents To Go and a darned good audio/video player. I will miss YAUC though.

Desktop sync - in the dustbin - where it belongs! Why use a cord or IR to sync with a lousy program like Palm Desktop when the device handles its own sync with every email and calendar app you now use on its own and on the network?

Stylus - in the dustbin - again, where it belongs.

Martin
    Last edited by mhconley; 01/08/2009 at 03:49 PM.
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post

No desktop sync - no problem as long as I can still somehow sync with Palm Desktop (or will that be a thing of the past also?)
    It would appear so.
    Definitely D2G... I'll miss Zlauncher (it's tweaked to my liking by now... lol)
    Just emailed asking for any future plans on developing for NOVA.

Maybe we should email our favorite Palm OS developers (to show our interest)???
    Last edited by jmg_P1OS21; 01/08/2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    My bet is that there will be a Garnet emulator out in no time, but a lot of my Palm apps were just to tweak the phone anyway to make it behave like I wanted.

I am really impressed by how much thought went in to the OS design...it looks very slick! I have a jailbroken Iphone right now for work and my 700p for my personal..I'm sure glad I have Sprint. The Iphone is really nice, but my old 700p does better with some things. It looks like Palm listened to the users and brought the elegance of Garnet into the 21st century! Hopefully they will let us keep our SERO plans with this new device.

Go Palm! It's SO good to see you back!
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Palm posted on developer.palm.com that existing <i>DATA</i> would have a way to get to WebOS. I think it's going to take more than a tweak here or there to get old apps running... it's a new platform. They've already confirmed old apps will not run on this device.

The device itself is great looking (really great looking, as a matter of fact), but there need to be some details fast on how developers are supposed to make money on applications with HTML/CSS/Javascript.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    Desktop sync - in the dustbin - where it belongs! Why use a cord or IR to sync with a lousy program like Palm Desktop when the device handles its own sync with every email and calendar app you now use on its own and on the network?
    Martin
    Well I use Datebk 6 which syncs to Palm Desktop and am using the beta version of Pimlical (which depends on the Palm Desktop and hotsync conduit) on my PC. I use Thunderbird as my email app. Also to Documents to Go. I'm not seeing how the Pre is going to sync that stuff.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
    Well I use Datebk 6 which syncs to Palm Desktop and am using the beta version of Pimlical (which depends on the Palm Desktop and hotsync conduit) on my PC. I use Thunderbird as my email app. Also to Documents to Go. I'm not seeing how the Pre is going to sync that stuff.
    It's not going to - the email apps are all over the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    It looks like Palm listened to the users and brought the elegance of Garnet into the 21st century!
    It appears to me that WebOS has absolutely nothing in common with PalmOs/Garnet. Its a completely different paradigm.

Apps - in the dustbin

Stylus - in the dustbin
    Apps: The webOS apps look incredible and I won't have to look for much 3rd party apps. The ones I mostly use on the treo are the PIM apps, the browser, and the music player. WebOS looks to have great replacements.

Desktop Sync: All I want is just a one time sync to move all my contacts from my Treo 755 to the Pre. Other than that, I don't mind the cloud sync. I never hot sync anyway, I use my Treo as a standalone product.

Stylus: I hardly ever use the stylus on the 755P. I've been using the iPod touch as well and it feels ok just using your fingers as the input device.

I'm ready to move on! Just give me the date and the price and I'll be in line to buy one!
    I was the first kid on the block to get a 180, and I've been carrying a treo (and nothing else) ever since then - currently on the 650. I've got a *lot* of time/energy/a little money/brainspace invested in the apps, and as it became more and more obvious that I was on a [happy little] doomed OS, I have mentally prepared to switch away at some point.

But if there's any backward compatibility, that'll make a huge difference to me.

For the Pre, I'll have to hold out until I can get one that's GSM and carrier independent - hope it happens someday.

Oh, yeah, I got the 180 with a keyboard, and I only ever used the stylus for Solitaire games. And I stopped syncing about 4 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    In general yes. Stylus is unimportant but no desktop sync or legacy app support make switching to this new platform potentially more difficult than switching to WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    It appears to me that WebOS has absolutely nothing in common with PalmOs/Garnet. Its a completely different paradigm.
    Agreed. Some folks resisted WM for ideological reasons, not wanting to succumb to the evil empire. But a lot of POS hold-outs were patiently awaiting something that would retain all the functionality (for whatever set of functions were most important to that individual) even though we had long-ago given up on the idea of having a newest, sexiest smartphones on the block.

Adopting the Pre without POS backwards compatibility is not meaningfully different than adopting WM, BB, iP, or Symbian. The company to which we remained loyal (for whatever our reasons), is asking us to follow them in a completely new direction, asking us to abandon what we've always cherished about them.

It's a bit like the Gift of the Maji: Palm is delivering the device we've always wanted, but at the cost of possibly jettisoning the software library that kept many of us on-board.

The emulator question will be opaque to the wider world, but could well make a big difference in terms of long-term POS-users choosing the Pre over other options.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenithNadir View Post
    Adopting the Pre without POS backwards compatibility is not meaningfully different than adopting WM, BB, iP, or Symbian. The company to which we remained loyal (for whatever our reasons), is asking us to follow them in a completely new direction, asking us to abandon what we've always cherished about them.
    Actually WM is probably much easier for a PalmOS user to adopt than those other platforms. It was after all Microsoft's answer to PalmOS and many PalmOS apps (such as PocketQuicken) are available as native WM apps. There is also a PalmOS emulator available and a Treo form factor and the OS is quite tweakable.

My personal plan is to ride the Garnet train to the end of the line and see how all these other platforms pan out in the next few Round Robins.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    Simple answer: when you work in a basement where you get no cell reception period, adding something to your phone for an afternoon activity should not require you to walk somewhere to get cell reception. (This is what I currently have to deal with which is why I do not have my phones hooked up to an exchange server. I usually sync 2 to 4 times a day.)

Apps - in the dustbin

Stylus - in the dustbin
    Some specialized Palm OS apps, most of which use a stylus (also essential in cold weather when wearing gloves), are a big deal for me. Not much chance the apps will ported over to webOS, either. Desktop sync is not so important to me but could be for other users.

As ZenithNadir put it so well, the direction Palm has headed breaks the connection with the Palm OS and, therefore, the primary reason for the Palm faithful to stay with them. I know I'll be shopping around. At present, the only Palm OS emulator runs on Windows Mobile although it will soon be available for Symbian.
    Pre-what?
    SplashData, Dataviz, Google, TeleNav and more are ALREADY on board. The developers and apps will come. Some will be even BETTER than what we have now!

I have been a palm carrier since I started with cellphones (from the 300 now to the 700p) and I can WAIT to jump to the Pre. Give me SplashID, Kinoma, DUN, and some of the cool apps on the iPhone and Android (that cant be had on Garnett) and I am in heaven!!

Apps - in the dustbin

Stylus - in the dustbin
    As other's have said, I hardly use the stylus now. Only for a couple of games that are difficult or impossible to use without.

Desktop sync? Who cares. As long as I can still sync, and can do Exchange Active sync, that's good enough. But there doesn't seem to be any technical reason why you couldn't build a desktop sync capability (through the cloud).

Apps? Well, most of the apps I use are to fix holes or weaknesses in P-OS or its PIM apps: Butler, Phone Technician, TakePhone, Datebk, ChatterMail, etc. I don't think I'll need most of those kinds of apps on the Pre.

The next category of apps are feature add-ons, like Google Maps, D-T-G, Kinoma, pTunes, etc. Most of those capabilities look to be built in, but some I'll be looking for replacements for. I expect DTG will have a version for the Pre.

The 3rd major category of apps is games, and I'm sure there will be lots of games available.

Will I like having to pay to replace my existing apps? Not really, but time marches on. I'm not still using Word Perfect for DOS on my PCs, and I've paid for at least a few upgrades of MS Office. I'll pay for newer, better capabilities without complaining.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast