Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I haven't seen an answer to this yet, but I've got ten years worth of "Palm OS" data!! Date book, contacts being vital to me!!

Will this data transfer? I can live with having to find new apps to replace old apps.

I'm upset that us GSM types are left waiting for this phone, but if I've got to start over again with my data, why not move to the iPhone?
    If you want to make a case its bigger shift than current iPhone users than yeah you may have a point. The UI is closer to Andriod in the OS level and iPhone in the app level.

But, I have learn to not have emotional attachment to the cellphone platform a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneOfLove View Post
    I haven't seen an answer to this yet, but I've got ten years worth of "Palm OS" data!! Date book, contacts being vital to me!!

Will this data transfer? I can live with having to find new apps to replace old apps.

I'm upset that us GSM types are left waiting for this phone, but if I've got to start over again with my data, why not move to the iPhone?
    You want to sync that address book to a yahoo or google mail account first, that way you can ensure the data will be in tact no matter what phone you switch to next.

Palm Desktop can sync your address book to Outlook and from there you can sync it something else.
    As a Palm user since the US Robotics days (PalmPilot 1000 & 5000), I am heavily invested in 3rd party apps. I was a bit apprehensive about today's announcement related to old app support but have to say, I'm less concerned then I was before.

What's in the box seems fairly comprehensive and I doubt we'll need as many OS enhancement/stability programs as we do with Garnet.

I imagine the big vendors (Splash Data, DataViz, Kinoma, etc.) will probably have apps available at launch. Having to re-buy isn't the best thing in the world, but this is an entirely new platform. Plus, some enterprising developer will likely create an emulator if you really want to continue using existing programs. The only thing I wonder about now is data transfer. I really don't want to recreate SplashID entries by hand.
    Not having a stylus for the old Palm apps won't be an issue. They can easily incorporate the pinch/zooming feature into the emulator, allowing you to hit your target easily with your finger.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    After having to switch to a BlackBerry due to work, I'm over the whole stylus thing.
    I love the look of the device and I'm hoping with fingers crossed that it will be released here in Australia as a HSPDA/true 3G world phone by mid year, and that I can use it for work e-mail.
    And being able to wirelessly sync multiple calendars at the same time without stuffing everything up is really exciting.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
    I feel like this is a completely different company & phone. I don't see much continuity, beyond name.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Thinking about it - is the switch going to be actually harder for existing palm customers than the rest of us?

Apps - in the dustbin

Desktop sync - in the dustbin

Stylus - in the dustbin
    I am a happy Palm OS user, but I know it is too old try to fit all the latest features into it.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneOfLove View Post
    Because the iPhone is a more locked-down, limited platform than Pre/webOS appear to be?

All we've seen of the Pre so far is a sales demonstration geared for the general public and some hardware specs, and everyone is going on and on with all these doom and gloom assumptions.

The release is still months away. We don't know what 3rd party apps will or won't be available. We don't know how Palm plans to handle old PDB data.

We do know that it can connect to a computer via USB2.0, and (I assume) at the very least act as a mass storage device (meaning your computer sees it as a removable hard drive). Jennifer has listed Bluetooth DUN tethering in the rundown of specs on the front page. Don't forget that Bluetooth also supports file transfers. So to say that there's no way other than the g-darn "cloud" to back up data shows a real lack of reading for comprehension.

Everyone calm down, take a deep breath, and focus on the positive. Wait and see what actually develops over the next few months before you write off the phone or the company.

Sorry, StoneOfLove. That wasn't all directed at you. I just sort of rolled off on my little tangent.
    A great email applications, office type applications (DTG), a good calender and PIMs, and really that is it. I can live with aGPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    Sorry, StoneOfLove. That wasn't all directed at you. I just sort of rolled off on my little tangent.
    LMAO!

All good. You make an excellent case for waiting and seeing!
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    Because the iPhone is a more locked-down, limited platform than Pre/webOS appear to be?
    More locked down definitely. I am not sure about more limited. The SDK is based on the MacOS SDK.
    Apps - in the dustbin
    This one has the most impact. Most plam users have been using palmfor a long time and have money invested in the apps. However, the newer Centro crowd will be uinefected

Desktop sync - in the dustbin
    I think this is big - However, if there over the Air synch works well, I would think you can synch on a home netweork / blutooth to ur PC apps like outlook. Curious to find more details

w/ that said - palm desktop has passed it's prime

Stylus - in the dustbin
    This should have been in the dut bin a long time ago. the fact some of us still use it shows a gap in the oS
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Some act like those developers won't make programs for the Pre. When they do, and if they look good, will you jump ship and get a Pre?

For me it won't be necessarily hard. The Pre looks like the programs installed would fit me perfectly. I am thinking about putting old Nintendo games onto my Centro and I assume they probably wouldn't work on the Pre if I were to get it
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    Some act like those developers won't make programs for the Pre.
    The developer of Chattermail has already said he will be developing for Android and not the new Palm WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    More locked down definitely. I am not sure about more limited. The SDK is based on the MacOS SDK.
    I have a friend who has wanted to develop stuff for the iPhone (he's a current iPhone user) but is frustrated by the single-tasking nature of the platform. Only Apple gets to decide who can allow "background processes." If you want to get 3rd party apps that will actually run in the background, you have to jailbreak your phone. He is excited about the apparent multi-tasking of webOS, to say the least.

You should also check out the Ars Technica writeup on the PrPrPr&#$275$;. $They$ $point$ $out$ $some$ $of$ $the$ $problems$ $Apple$ $has$ $run$ $into$ $by$ $stripping$ $and$ $compacting$ $OSX$ $to$ $run$ $on$ $the$ $iPhone$, $vs$. $building$ $a$ $true$ $mobile$ $OS$ $from$ $the$ $ground$ $up$, $as$ $Palm$ $did$.
    Last edited by EdCates; 01/09/2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Switched some sentences to clarify meaning/intent
    Last i looked (no offense to chatter), he's not the only email designer.

Look, palm wouldn't put out a palm at this time without good email on it. It'll have office apps, and all the things palm is known for.

Palm wouldn't have worked as hard as they did on a fantastic device only to have crap apps. I suspect they'll put most of our old palm apps to shame.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I like the "cloud" syncing thing a lot but the one app I do really need is Butler. I need alarms in spades and cluttering my calendar with them isn't going to cut the mustard.

I also think they should allow for some desktop syncing. I still sync with my come computer just for backup purposes but also to add some entries that are just plain easier to type out on a full keyboard.

I think Palm should license this OS out like Windows and Symbian does and let manufacturers go to town. That should increase the number of devices and help keep the company going.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Plus, some enterprising developer will likely create an emulator if you really want to continue using existing programs. The only thing I wonder about now is data transfer. I really don't want to recreate SplashID entries by hand.
    There's already an open source emulator for Linux. I suspect it will be ported in T minus 2 seconds after release. I wouldn't be surprised if the port is finished before the launch.

As for the OP's question... I also have been on Palm since my first USR Pilot 1000. This IS going to be a huge shift for me. It will basically be like NOT having a palm device in my pocket for the first time in a decade. It's beyond sentiment, it's going to be dealing with that feeling "something isn't right" for a while. Just too conditioned to reaching in and seeing that familiar interface and all my familiar apps.

If the work flow is good on the device, I'll get over it soon enough. If it at the very least, continues to make my life easier and more manageable the way my palm devices have until now, then it will be fine. That's a big order though, because the Palm OS, for everyone's complaints about it being old and not new and exciting, continues to be less kludgy and more intuitive than other current offerings that some view as more "modern".

PalmOS is like my first Civic. It didn't have a lot of marketing buzzwords to brag about, but it did it's job well and with quality. Then I switched to an SUV that had all the bells and whistles, that so many drooled over, and it ended up being a horrible vehicle(like winmo). It was such a pain in the ***, that to this day, I wish I had just kept my simple but ultra reliable civic. It was very similar to my experiences with WinMo devices.

At the end of the day, a *real* personal digital assistant is a lot more than merely a swiss army knife device. It's useful, reliable, and the bells and whistles don't ever get in the way of the core functionality of assisting us in our lives. That continues to be my PalmOS experience and I hope that experience continues on WebOS, because the world does not need another WinMo or iPhone, it needs an improved Palm experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12