Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    I am not a developer so forgive me if this post is uninformed. But it seems to me that most of the "Web-Based" apps available now for desktop computers are pretty simplistic and kind of lame. So wouldn't it be logical to expect that Web-based Apps for a handheld - even a state-of-the-art handheld with a zippy new processor - would also be very simple basic and not too robust?

If I'm looking for upgraded more powerful versions of my favorite Palm apps, like TakePhone, Ptunes, or Core Movieplayer, isn't it highly UN-likely that those would come in the form of Web-based apps?
    I am a developer (but not of Palm apps) and I agree that developers will have far less control of the new phone than they did with PalmOS. This is not all bad though. The phone will probably be more stable as a result and java script based websites should work well.
    The Browser is amazing! You can even rotate it upside down if you wanted to.
    Look at the browser!! It actually works!!!
    bananaPhone

Looks bulky but the keyboard is back how it should be at least.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    What are "Web-Based" apps exactly?

I noticed that the GPS is not usable without a data connection. I heard Verizon did this with the HTC Touch Pro and most were not happy about it.
    My other thought is hoping they don't make you upgrade to the "Everything Plan" and it won't work with SERO, ala the Instrinct.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Just going to throw in my 2... First off I really love the new phone.

I have to agree with everyone that is complaining about lack of backwards compatability though. I'm sure Palm just didn't want to pay Access the royalties to include a Garnet VM, but it still would have been nice. I'd imagine that at some point there will be a method of running old PalmOS apps though. Remember that Access has built in Garnet backwards compatability in their ALP operating system (which is also Linux based). So I'm sure if enough money is thrown around with the right people then webOS could see the same thing. Heck I'd be happy paying for a GarnetVM seperately if I had to.

As far as developing for the new OS goes... I can see it as both very good and very bad. HTML, CSS, and JavaScript are all incredibly simple languages to learn. The problem is when you want to build anything... useful. One could pull their hair out for days trying to make something very simple display/act correctly. Also, when it comes to developing more advanced software such as system utilities I don't think it's possible at all (unless Palm provides some sort of API layer to tap in to system functionality).

So with all of that said I think I will still continue to use/develop for my Centro and let the die hards be the test subjects for a while.

- Phil -
    Palm has a perpetual license to Garnet and does not have further per unit royalties to pay Access. This license allows the ability to use Garnet in any way that Palm wishes. As we have not seen much under the hood of the PIM apps, it is possible there are many features that came over. I'm confident there will be information on how to migrate closer to device launch time and that we will be hearing more from third-party developers that have been under NDA.
    Iphone and Pre side by side photo. roll to page 36

http://www.engadget.com/photos/palm-...art-2/1269434/
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    A little thicker than the iphone?

It looks as so.

I really like how thin my Treo Pro is.
    Just call me Berd.
    Pre:
    weighs 4.8 ounces and at 2.35 inches wide, 3.96 inches long and 0.67 inches thick, is slightly smaller than other popular smart phones.

Treo Pro:
    weighing a mere 4.7 ounces and measuring a svelte 0.5 inches thick.

The Treo 750, by comparison, weighs 5.4 ounces and is 0.8 inches thick.

the iPhone is 0.46 inches thick while the iPod is 0.43 inches. Height-wise, the iPhone is 4.5 inches tall,
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    A little thicker than the iphone?

It looks as so.

I really like how thin my Treo Pro is.
    That's a 3g iphone. Did you actually think the Pre would be as thin as an iphone especially with a slider/qwerty?
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    That's a 3g iphone. Did you actually think the Pre would be as thin as an iphone especially with a slider/qwerty?
    Didn't 'think' - Just Hoped.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    No mention if there will be a new Palm Desktop software app, but it sounds like it's designed more for MS Outlook, and online calendar/contacts management. I sure hope I can import and save my 10+ years of archived Palm appts!
    You might want to look into statutes of limitations - at a certain point, your alibis will no longer be needed.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    This phone looks fabulous. It's got all the things we palm OS users have been lacking for a long time. I'll be picking this one up when it goes GSM, which it surely will. It's too hot not to cover all the bases.

I've recently said this amongst friends regarding Palms next phone and it's something I wished Palm could have done with their existing phones, if this had been designed prior to their releases. It's purely cosmetic, but I always thought it would have been cool to have the lights fade in and fade out, but more importantly, to also have their logo on the back of the phone to also light up in a similar fashion. Would make the phone look like it was alive or something. Who knows, maybe they'll do something like that in the future.
    This device could seriously lure me back to Palm. I have a Sprint Mogul and was planning on upgrading to a Touch Pro soon, but that might change. My biggest question right now is whether there's a memory card slot or not. 8 gigs of onboard storage is great, but backing up to a card is great and it also comes in handy for quick file transfers.
    My biggest question will be battery life. Won't be an early adopter for this one based on all the problems with the Treo 800w.

Love the keyboard, its the only reason I still have a Treo 755p. One-handed phone usage is awesome.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by aowald View Post
    This phone looks fabulous. It's got all the things we palm OS users have been lacking for a long time.
    ...but lacks what we've had all along (the Palm OS app library)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenithNadir View Post
    ...but lacks what we've had all along (the Palm OS app library)

And THAT is my biggest concern about WebOS. Not just that it may lack backwards compatibility, but that it may also lack the ability for developers to write future apps as good as or better than the ones we may be losing.

Now maybe if it ran JAVA as opposed to Javascript, we'd have a little more potential. But I have yet to be "whelmed" by any of the currently available web-based apps for desktop computers, so why should we expect web-based apps for the Pre to ever equal or surpass the Garnet based apps we have now?
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    And THAT is my biggest concern about WebOS. Not just that it may lack backwards compatibility, but that it may also lack the ability for developers to write future apps as good as or better than the ones we may be losing.

Now maybe if it ran JAVA as opposed to Javascript, we'd have a little more potential. But I have yet to be "whelmed" by any of the currently available web-based apps for desktop computers, so why should we expect web-based apps for the Pre to ever equal or surpass the Garnet based apps we have now?

I think broadly the answer is - Palm doesn't care, there isn't any (or rather sufficient) revenue in keeping Palm OS users happy or compromising the user experience to keep them happy.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

I think I read somewhere all the apps Palm provides are written in the same way. So if the Palm's apps like PIM, search, etc. can tap into the system, all other apps should be able to also.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I think the most innovative features are the "deck of cards" concept and Touchstone. Most of the other UI features has the iPhone feel.

The best Treo features kept are the replaceable battery and sound switch.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast