Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    I hope that Palm will release an unlocked GSM version SOON!!!! I want it now!!!
    ditto. this is killing me that they didnt launch a gsm version.. my 680 is two years old, and i will have to wait atleast 6 months for a gsm version sigh...
    Palm, please take my monye now!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wongster View Post
    so... this thing does wireless charging?... how does that work?
    Appears to be magnetic on that desktop thingy. You just set it on it and it moves itself to charging position.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    MODS, time for a Pre section of its own?
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    Maybe when Dieter gets back?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Maybe when Dieter gets back?
    Until then....

Start as many Threads, in as many places as you can think.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    You're gunna make me with joy!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by wongster View Post
    ditto. this is killing me that they didnt launch a gsm version.. my 680 is two years old, and i will have to wait atleast 6 months for a gsm version sigh...
    I suspect closer to 12 months. The Sprint users will probably be waiting about 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Appears to be magnetic on that desktop thingy. You just set it on it and it moves itself to charging position.
    My Sonicare toothbrush uses the same technology. Pretty cool implementation with the desktop puck.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Trying to read through everything.

Only bummer is no native POS backward support, otherwise I am hot for this phone (just see http://twitter.com/dslunceford for my tweets!)

Some Q's:
    *Stylus?
    *MicroUSB for charging (outside of touchstonebase)
    *Flash (read two diff accounts that it does/doesn't support)
    *Tethering (read two diff accounts that it does tether and that it doesn't)
    *link for Sprint pre-order
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    Trying to read through everything.

Only bummer is no native POS backward support, otherwise I am hot for this phone (just see http://twitter.com/dslunceford for my tweets!)

Some Q's:
    *Stylus?
    *MicroUSB for charging (outside of touchstonebase)
    *Flash (read two diff accounts that it does/doesn't support)
    *Tethering (read two diff accounts that it does tether and that it doesn't)
    *link for Sprint pre-order
    Yes on MicroUSB
    Yes on Tethering, but by BT on spec page; wonder why usb wouldn't also work
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    im sure you'll get over them with this thing
    I don't know about that. Once the newness wears of, you'll see threads about replacement apps that may not be there for months. For long-time Palm OS users, this new OS has been reduced to the same level as Android, iPhone, BB, or WM. It's an upgrade, but if a Palm OS owner is going to abandon the old OS anyway, what incentive has Palm given to go with their OS?

The device looks good, and can be called smart, but I think the lack of legacy support will hurt them. Let's see what Styletap can do.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I am not a developer so forgive me if this post is uninformed. But it seems to me that most of the "Web-Based" apps available now for desktop computers are pretty simplistic and kind of lame. So wouldn't it be logical to expect that Web-based Apps for a handheld - even a state-of-the-art handheld with a zippy new processor - would also be very simple basic and not too robust?

If I'm looking for upgraded more powerful versions of my favorite Palm apps, like TakePhone, Ptunes, or Core Movieplayer, isn't it highly UN-likely that those would come in the form of Web-based apps?
    I've seen several people refer to the ability to pre-order on Sprint's web site. Is this just the usual "sign-up for more info" because I can't find the pre-order option anywhere. I'm guess it's just the notification sign-up but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Just going to throw in my 2... First off I really love the new phone.

I have to agree with everyone that is complaining about lack of backwards compatability though. I'm sure Palm just didn't want to pay Access the royalties to include a Garnet VM, but it still would have been nice. I'd imagine that at some point there will be a method of running old PalmOS apps though. Remember that Access has built in Garnet backwards compatability in their ALP operating system (which is also Linux based). So I'm sure if enough money is thrown around with the right people then webOS could see the same thing. Heck I'd be happy paying for a GarnetVM seperately if I had to.

As far as developing for the new OS goes... I can see it as both very good and very bad. HTML, CSS, and JavaScript are all incredibly simple languages to learn. The problem is when you want to build anything... useful. One could pull their hair out for days trying to make something very simple display/act correctly. Also, when it comes to developing more advanced software such as system utilities I don't think it's possible at all (unless Palm provides some sort of API layer to tap in to system functionality).

So with all of that said I think I will still continue to use/develop for my Centro and let the die hards be the test subjects for a while.

- Phil -
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I don't know about that. Once the newness wears of, you'll see threads about replacement apps that may not be there for months. For long-time Palm OS users, this new OS has been reduced to the same level as Android, iPhone, BB, or WM. It's an upgrade, but if a Palm OS owner is going to abandon the old OS anyway, what incentive has Palm given to go with their OS?

The device looks good, and can be called smart, but I think the lack of legacy support will hurt them. Let's see what Styletap can do.
    Perhaps you are right, but like I said somewhere else I kinda hope it isnt compatible cuz it too advanced
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Let's see what Styletap can do.
    That might be the only option.
    I guess we'll see.
    Just call me Berd.
    We just sat down with Palm for a more in-depth look at the device, and here are our takeaways. First off, the software and hardware they're showing right now aren't the final versions. They're updating and tweaking as we speak, so some of the features haven't been implemented yet.
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/p...ds-on-gallery/
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I saw 8gb on board but no mention of expansion slot or did I just miss it
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast