Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    FYI, the new Palm Treo Pre is now the major attraction on the Palm website. It's at www.palm.com and it looks nice.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    It's on the Sprint site as well. Signed up for a notification email when it comes out.
    Amazing. Palm has really redeemed themselves after the Folio and 800w failures.
  4.    #4  
    Is it my imagination, or is there no expandable memory slot available on this thing? With only 8gb of memory, that could be an issue. Any further information about this?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Open Pre questions?

1. Isn't it odd that they didn't mention the price?
    2. No memory card slot?
    3. What about existing Palm apps?
    4. Is 1st Half 2009 really June 30, 2009?
    5. With Sprint, they cut off the rest of the world? We all suspect that Sprint will be an exclusive for a while. GSM version in 2010 or later?

Nice device but if you want international coverage, you're dead with Sprint.
    Based on the debut, I do have a "prepism."

When PDANet and Sling have apps that run on the Pre, I'd be ready to take the plunge.
    I saw there was no mention of what I can do to run my existing Palm apps on the Pre.

Are all the applications going to be on the web? Maybe I'm not getting this, but it looks like they put a new type of web browser on this phone that can switch between different Web 2.0 pages. Anyone see something different?

Update: from a twitter from palm_inc, a posting at CNet says that existing applications will not run on this new phone. I can't post the URL here (my post count is too low).

If the apps are all HTML/CSS/Javascript based, how are developers supposed to make money for their apps? Are they own their own for montenizing their websites?
    Last edited by Deanj; 01/08/2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Additional information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanj View Post
    I saw there was no mention of what I can do to run my existing Palm apps on the Pre.

Update: from a twitter from palm_inc, a posting at CNet says that existing applications will not run on this new phone. I can't post the URL here (my post count is too low).
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/28564790/for/cnbc/
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

My requirements are not yet met by any existing
    PDAphone.... and they are:

1) 64gb+ of main memory
    2) external SD card, capable of handling the highest
    SD card memory
    3) full-size display (as big as iPhone)
    4) full-vendor-supported tethering
    5) top-drawer base network
    6) the new iPhone-style-interface
    7) bluetooth
    8) gps
    10) applications that are OPEN
    11) high-speed multiple internal cpus

I get some of these with my present Treo 700p on
    the Verizon network but the requirements above
    won't be fulfilled for some time.

If the iPhone were on the Verizon network, that
    would be about as close as it would get.

My friend has one and in the MIDDLE OF IRVINE,
    a heavily populated area, he gets regular disconnects
    on the major university campus with AT&T!!!!

Stuart
    64 gb+ of main memery will leave you looking for a phone for another 2 years. That is horribly cost prohibitive unless you use a mini hard drive and suffer the related issues.
    I'd even settle for a 32GB storage phone. 8GB isn't as innovative anymore. Several manufacturers released 8GB phones last year or the year before.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    NO backwards compatibility without 3rd party emulation. What a crock of rotten pickles. I have been a Palm loyalist through so many hardware failures and software glitches and now they release the "next generation" device and take away a HUGE amount of my daily productivity, on a network that I have no interest in? This is what I have been waiting for?
    Visor to M515 to T3 to T3.5 to TX (now DEAD and disassembled) to Treo 650 (now DEAD and useless) to Treo 680...and still waiting for the next smartphone with a dedicated keyboard to excite me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Amazing. Palm has really redeemed themselves after the Folio and 800w failures.

I think the 800w was only a disaster for you.

I kind of like mine. Windows Mobile, on the other hand, I'm not so crazy about.

I can't wait for WebOS!!
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanj View Post
    I've seen this complaint 20-30x regarding the Pre. I've had a 700p/700wx for a couple of years now, and I use it constantly (mail, voice, messaging, web browsing).

I'm wondering what Palm/Garnet application is so phenomenal that it would stop you from buying a newer, more functional phone.

Also consider that if the application was so mind-boggling good, the authors will just re-write it for the new WebOS.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but at some point it's time to move onto a new OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    I've seen this complaint 20-30x regarding the Pre. I've had a 700p/700wx for a couple of years now, and I use it constantly (mail, voice, messaging, web browsing).

I'm wondering what Palm/Garnet application is so phenomenal that it would stop you from buying a newer, more functional phone.

Also consider that if the application was so mind-boggling good, the authors will just re-write it for the new WebOS.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but at some point it's time to move onto a new OS.
    Thank you!!
    I completely agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by smcracraft View Post

1) 64gb+ of main memory
    SD card memory
    7) bluetooth
    8) gps

Stuart
    ...And, since it is made by a company named "Palm", it should include a hand job option- right? Dang, that's quite the list...

Also, is the iPhone on the Verizon network really as close as it gets for you? Now you're missing a physical keyboard, and don't you also lose the ability to simply copy and paste?

I think the Pre will be as close to your list as you'll find, except for maybe a BlackBerry Bold. Hard to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by smcracraft View Post

1) 64gb+ of main memory
    SD card memory
    7) bluetooth
    8) gps

Stuart
    Sounds to me like you are describing a computer
    1)No smartphone currently has this amount of standard memory
    2)yes some sort of external memory which neither the pre nor iphone have
    3)bigger screen the better though generally could make single handed use more difficult.
    4)pre offers tethering
    5)sprint allegedly has the best 3G network. another plus for the pre
    6)pre has
    7)pre has
    8)pre has
    9)pre somewhat iphone definately not, g1 definately
    10)no smartphone has multiple cpus

seems to me like the pre comes much closer to what you need than an Iphone.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Is it my imagination, or is there no expandable memory slot available on this thing? With only 8gb of memory, that could be an issue. Any further information about this?

If it's anything like my HTC Diamond, that 8gb storage is separate from the program/OS memory and is treated like a flash card on any computer. The Diamond also has 8gb storage and it's fine, unless you're trying to put your whole music collection on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post

I understand why you say that, because we all know PalmOS is antiquated and the existing apps are limited by it. But I can think of two apps that I use all the time that would need to be equaled on the Pre for me to adopt it: ChatterEmail and Pleco (fantastic Chinese-English dictionary app.) It's not clear how well the Pre's email app works. Maybe it'll be OK, but they've said little about supporting IMAP idle, etc. The authors of Pleco are not sure if they can port to the Pre. How can we answer the question of whether great apps that exist for the PalmOS can be ported if they are giving out precious little info to developers not already in the select group they've invited?
    Quote Originally Posted by nhhendu View Post
    If it's anything like my HTC Diamond, that 8gb storage is separate from the program/OS memory and is treated like a flash card on any computer. The Diamond also has 8gb storage and it's fine, unless you're trying to put your whole music collection on it.
    Uhm... last I checked the HTC Diamond has only 4 GB of onboard memory.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast