Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62
  1.    #1  
    This isnt going to be cheap. Its going to be more that the iPhone ($200) for sure.
  2. #2  
    Not a concern since its on a much cheaper network
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Not a concern since its on a much cheaper network
    Really? How much is the Sprint Everything plan?
  4. #4  
    Do you really think that this will cost more than the iPhone?

    I cant imagine why Palm/Sprint wouldn't go all out and offer this thing for $199.

    I also hope that they allow this price for anyone. I just purchased a Touch Pro and would buy one and sign another contract in a heartbeat if they had special pricing even for those that have recently upgraded. Maybe that is wishful thinking, but it would certainly be a smart move with respect to keeping their customers.
    @johngrubb - Palm Pre User
  5. #5  
    If this phone is $199 or lower I will have to check myself into a mental hospital! I love this thing.
  6. #6  
    I'm guessing 199 with the 99SE plan and 400-500(before discounts) if they allow the device on any other plan.
  7. #7  
    Why wouldn't they allow it on other plans? They allow every other phone on other plans (although the Instinct does have some limitations). This phone doesn't have objective capabilities beyond the Touch Pro. It may go about its business in a different way, but it is still voice, messaging, email, web, GPS, and a few other data services. They may require unlimited data, but that can be had in a SE plan, an Everything Data (+-Share) plan, or as a $20 add-on to other plans.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
    Why wouldn't they allow it on other plans? They allow every other phone on other plans (although the Instinct does have some limitations). This phone doesn't have objective capabilities beyond the Touch Pro. It may go about its business in a different way, but it is still voice, messaging, email, web, GPS, and a few other data services. They may require unlimited data, but that can be had in a SE plan, an Everything Data (+-Share) plan, or as a $20 add-on to other plans.
    Sprint did this with the Instinct and I have a feeling there's a good chance it will happen with the Pre.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    Sprint did this with the Instinct and I have a feeling there's a good chance it will happen with the Pre.
    Oh yeah, you can bet Sprint is going to milk this for all it's worth...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    Sprint did this with the Instinct and I have a feeling there's a good chance it will happen with the Pre.
    I have the same feeling I don't want to give up my SERO plan.
  11. #11  
    I bought my daughter an Instinct, and she does not have a Simply Everything plan. She's a $20 add-on to my Everything Data Share plan.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Not a concern since its on a much cheaper network
    Exactly the opposite is true. Sprint entire game plan is to stop being a cheaper network and this is obviosly friom Dan Hesse's comments their big handset move to do it.

    Hesse, the Sprint head, pretty much told you to forget about that. What was Hesse rambling about at the presentation? he kinda looked like the "obama, heees aaaa terrorist" lady wandering on McCain's stage, and Hesse added nothing relevant except what seemed to the live audience the rather puzzling "ARPU" comment.

    That is "average revenue per user. He is intelligently and clearly signaling the capital markets that this is going to drive much much higher price plans.

    Maybe you are on a $30 Sero but you are not getting this phone that way. I doubt anyone in a nice legacy family plan with two or three users for $100 total is going to see a Pre..

    Dollar to donuts you will pay $100/month per user or more for this handset on Sprint. That's not cheap.

    The difference betwen a device list price of $500 vs $600 and a new signup price of $200 vs $300 is meaningless. That $100 is $4 per month over your 24 month contract.

    The key is if they will force a $100 SE plan -- as they did successfully (for Sprint) with the Instinct.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
    I bought my daughter an Instinct, and she does not have a Simply Everything plan. She's a $20 add-on to my Everything Data Share plan.
    But Sprint has not done that as a rule. Some people got around it but they probably converted 99% of the pople on older plans up to the higher arpu, because the agents told people they had to. Some people got through and some pressured retention, most people probably ended up with up to double the prior monthly bill.
    Last edited by aero; 01/08/2009 at 06:03 PM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    Sprint did this with the Instinct and I have a feeling there's a good chance it will happen with the Pre.
    If they want to compete with the iphone en mass, they better not even be thinking of forcing the everything plus plan on buyers. Even Apple didn't do something like that. Remember, most of the buyers that buy an iphone do it for the "cool" factor and not the programs.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  15. #15  
    The question is... who decides on the consumer pricing and the plan that offers the device? And how much input does palm has in the matter?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    That is "average revenue per user. He is intelligently and clearly signaling the capital markets that this is going to drive much much higher price plans.

    Maybe you are on a $30 Sero but you are not getting this phone that way. I doubt anyone in a nice legacy family plan with two or three users for $100 total is going to see a Pre..

    Dollar to donuts you will pay $100/month per user or more for this handset on Sprint. That's not cheap.
    Yeah, I'm afraid you're right and I'll be stuck on my Centro for another few years. $80 or $100 per line per month is simply not worth it to me.

    I'd pay the full unsubsidized price for a Pre if I could use it on my SERO plan, but if that's not an option I'm definitely not buying.

    SERO is what keeps me on Sprint - If I'm paying rack rates, I'll go back to AT&Tingular where I can use any GSM phone I want - including an unlocked UMTS Pre next year.
    Last edited by vga4life; 01/08/2009 at 06:13 PM.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    The question is... who decides on the consumer pricing and the plan that offers the device? And how much input does palm has in the matter?
    My bet would be that it is entirely up to the carrier on what they charge both for the phone and plan because they are subsidizing the cost of the phone.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    The question is... who decides on the consumer pricing and the plan that offers the device? And how much input does palm has in the matter?
    That is 100% by Sprint. Palm can offer the phone on their site for teh price Sprint decides. Again the consumer pricing is really not that important. You divide the consumer device price by 24 (months), you multiply any increase in the plan by 24 to figure out your real costs.

    Hesse didn't just mention ARPU, his very next words were "Simply Everthing".

    Do you think he meant that Sprint is committing suicide and lowering ARPU, or the opposite, that the plan is forcing users onto more expensive simply everything plans!

    Edit: from engadget: (last graph)
    Last edited by aero; 01/08/2009 at 06:18 PM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    That is 100% by Sprint. Palm can offer the phone on their site for teh price Sprint decides. Again the consumer pricing is really not that important. You device the consumer price by 24 (months), you multiply any increase in the plan by 24 to figure out your real costs.

    Hesse didn't just mention ARPU, his very next words were "Simply Everthing".

    Do you think he meant that Sprint is committing suicide and lowering ARPU, or the opposite, that the plan is forcing users onto more expensive simply everything plans!

    Well Palm has given us everything but a dual band phone CDMA/GSM
    Also I guess I was flying thru the specs (does it have wifin?)

    Yes I think that it will be a everything plan, which is the only bad news about the phone, I hope Sprint does not because I will get one of those phones for each member of the family

    so 5 phones plus insurance and taxes come to 560 a month or higher. Not so good but will gladly give up my Ace 325 from Sprint. I have missed the ease of my former Treos; what comments do we have from Perry and the "Phone Diva"/
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Hesse didn't just mention ARPU, his very next words were "Simply Everthing".

    Do you think he meant that Sprint is committing suicide and lowering ARPU, or the opposite, that the plan is forcing users onto more expensive simply everything plans!
    More hopeful that predictive, but inshallah that will be for new contracts rather than existing subscribers.

    My nine-year loyalty to Sprint has been in large part due to the differential in data prices (using a 500-minute SERO plan, currently).
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions