Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hey, no disrespect to anyone here - but if you have a SERO plan, you really should not get this phone for a new contract price. Pay up like the rest of us do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Last i checked, i was paying 150 or so a month for unlimited everything on an iphone. I'll take 99 a month over that for unlimited.
    There are people paying $75 am month for iPhone use.

Before you jump, iphone is the last phone in the world I would recommend because of the high service costs, but Sprint going down that road is going to be rocky and and no fun for users.

I think hey will pick a sport in the middle.

My point remains. Discussion about the cost of the phone are trivial and in rfeal financila terms divisable by 24 months. So $100 either way on the sales price of the device is a $4 a month issue.

For many people a bump of $20 in service is a $20x24 plus tax or in excess of $500. A bump of $30 is about an $800 increase with taxes over the contract.

I think Sprint is an excellent deal, and will be even with price rises. This device will be used to drive people to higher priced plans. The sales cost set by Sprint will be around the price of the iphone. If they set it higher they will have one main reason: to try and gain prestige just like magazines set cover newsstand prices. If they set it slightly lower they will be considering other conditions nearer launch time.

Don't forget details about iPhone upgrades, ore one or two otehr Palm WebOS phones and upgrades from the first Pre maybe leaked before the actual sales launch. handsets are old and not exciting even before tye are released the only exception is the iphone and that is because they have a killer brand. Palm does not.

We have teh story of Sprints tiny market share. We haven't heard the return volley. We haven't heard from Apple. If they sense a significant threat they could push a cdma iphone at verizon, or dump hype, marketing and buzz on anew killer iphone right around the actual released date for the PRe. They have the money to snow the other guys under, Palm and Sprint haven't.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Hey, no disrespect to anyone here - but if you have a SERO plan, you really should not get this phone for a new contract price. Pay up like the rest of us do.
    None taken but give me my $150 off my next phone for fulfilling my 2-year contract and I'll be happy with that.
    Sprint offered SERO, I ported from VZW for it, that's $720 they've made off me they never would have seen if they didn't.
    $399 would be my guess so most subscribers could get it by paying $250 out of pocket, and it would appear justa bit more expensive than the iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
    $399 would be my guess so most subscribers could get it by paying $250 out of pocket, and it would appear justa bit more expensive than the iphone
    aggreed
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
    Um Sprint's $500 priced handsets are as low as out of pocket $70 to $100. They have new $550 and $600 handsets that are out of pocket $220 to $300.

None of those includes the additional $70 typical extra discount for resigning when you purchase if you pay your bill on time.

Teh brand new very super hot (they can't keep production up with sales numbers) HTC Touch Pro is list $600 out of pocket $300, or $230 with typical resign bonus.

$399 list would mean that it would be $50 to $100 out of pocket resign on Sprint max
    Yup $399 announed. thats a killer for alot of folks. Doesnt palm / Sprint realize were in a recesion and most folks cant spend alot of money on a phone . I think the phone is great and will do terriffic if priced right but honestly only hardcore palm users and phone geeks will pay $400 in this economy for a phone that while cool still does what alot of phones do. $250 tops should be the price.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/palm-pre-...9-from-sprint/
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post

ouch .

nice quick find mobileman
    da Gimp

Read the comments, that may be full retail, it could cost less if you're out of contract.
    For me, my Sprint SERO 500 contract ends May 11. So on March 11, I am supposed to get that $150 off to renew.
    $250 is reasonable.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    the instinct i believe was retailed at about this value...and it was "the iphone killer" in sprints opinion...in mine a complete failure I look for the 399 to be maybe with a 1 yr. and most likely 299 for a 2yr or who knows maybe 399 is retail
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    Ofcourse anyone who can get a $150 discount , thats terriffic but for most they will have to couch up $430 with tax for a new phone , buy new accesories etc. In a good economy I say sure palm / sprint can price it high end but not in this economy. I can get round $300 for my HTC Touch with accesories so my top is $50 so if the phone is over $350 I will probalyl wait it out for a price drop.

Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Read the comments, that may be full retail, it could cost less if you're out of contract.
    For me, my Sprint SERO 500 contract ends May 11. So on March 11, I am supposed to get that $150 off to renew.
    $250 is reasonable.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    when it comes time to buy the phone im going to post how to buy it online and save about 200-250 dollars on the purchase depending on contract renewal...but their are still some good things about sprint discount wise, just gotta know where to look ;]
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.

-intro.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Actually ghent said nothing about the price. mobile whack has a long history of incrrect price speculation. Look at their source, a pocket lint article. They did not speak with Ghent, a source with pocket lint did. price was not discussed!

boy genius qualifies the $399 quote they give with: "this time it comes from rumorsville."

These are circular rumors that chased have zero source.

$399 as the subsidized price is very very high and as unsubsidized price is very very low.

My bet is in the range of $299 OTD subsidized maximum.
    Aero from your lips to Sprints ears. Hope you are right.

and I wasnt going to post that link but when the other link was posted about the $399 I figured let me post it even if it seems speculative. And i agree theres no real hard facts about the price , just the rumor mills working overtime.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    My bet is in the range of $299 OTD subsidized maximum.
    That sounds right. I suspect there won't be an unsubsidized price for the CDMA Pre - Sprint may think they have the iPhone and people will be camping out in front of Sprint stores up to sign up for expensive new contracts on launch day. Maybe that will happen, but I'm not betting on it. Someone else pointed out that Apple spends more than Palm's entire market cap on marketing alone every year. They are a second-tier brand at best.

There will eventually be an unlocked/unsubsidized GSM/UMTS Pre SKU somewhere in the world (unless Palm goes under before shipping it due to worrisome hardware/software delays.) I'd be very surprised if it was cheaper than $600.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    just spoke to my friend, im officially mad at him. they have one for them to look at it's a demo phone --no calling or internet experience. he said the phone is going to actually come out pretty soon. he said a couple of weeks before the phone is released to the public that they have a meeting to learn more about the features so it's close but most likely about 2 months away...not bad
    --

-intro.
    With Sprint pricing the Palm Treo 800w at $600 retail and $250 with a contract and the HTC Touch Pro at $580/$300 I fully expect the Palm Pre to be $700 retail and $350 to $400 with a contract. I hope I'm wrong...

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    ohhh ... another comeent on a release date in 2 months . likin what i'm hearing
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    With Sprint pricing the Palm Treo 800w at $600 retail and $250 with a contract and the HTC Touch Pro at $580/$300 I fully expect the Palm Pre to be $700 retail and $350 to $400 with a contract. I hope I'm wrong...Martin
    Look if you are resigning your contract they will knock another $70 you can get the Treo 800w for $130.

I think the high numbers on the Pre are simply about raising expectation and giving the device premium status. The pricing is based on perceived customer reaction, competion at the moment of release or shortly before.

I cant repeat enough people need to keep their eye on the real ball and not the distraction of the handset price -- which plans Sprint may require.

$20 more in a plan is $500 over two years with taxes.

People buying Intinct were forced onto higher plans than people with Treos 800ws where.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast