Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 17 ... LastLast
  1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Thanks treocentral team for the great coverage.

I am glad it is on Sprint. If it works out as well as it looks thypcial time for verizon would be 3 months. I dont thin a gSM of this exact form or something close to it could be that far behind if the markets judge this a winner
    Verizon's known for dragging their heels, though. I predict GSM first, whether unlocked or AT&T (post-exclusive, of course). For all we know, T-Mobile may even want it too--and the last Palm device they carried was the Treo 600!
    Interesting how they seem to have drawn their lines in the sand.

iPhone + AT&T? Fine. Now, Treo Pre* + Sprint.

* - I dig the phone, but that's a stupid name. Sorry.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    For those people who want to buy it at day one, why not get android or iphone? Without the backward compatibility, are you expecting a new version TOMTOM OR IGO be released so sooooon? Are you expecting all those med application be updated within three days?

The reason this event can attract so many posts within two hours is because this device is from palm, the PALM OS CREATOR.
    Both the iPhone and G1 are nowhere close to this phone in terms of functionality. Both of the aforementioned phones are sitting on my table back at my apartment, and everyday tasks are just too cumbersome. Searching for anything looks to be SO easy on the Pre and more of a punishment on the iPhone and mediocre on the G1
    LOL at the ones wanting old palm apps to work. You cried relentlessly for a new OS. So you can run very old apps on it?

I don't get it.

Updated or altogether new apps should replace. If the email isn't as good or better than Chatter, then they got problems.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Off the top of my head, here are some important information that were left unsaid:

1) App Store
    2) Battery Size
    3) GSM/EU version
    4) PC connectivity (mini or micro USB on neither)
    5) Can it sync locally with a PC or a Mac
    6) Does it have microSD slot
    7) Not showing the phone app in a device that is suposed to be a phone is strange
    8) Price

I am sure other folks can think of other things not mentioned.
    Jeff
  6. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I am blown away. I wish it wasn't a slider, but it's pretty damn sweet.
    Pretty sure micro USB was mentioned for connectivity
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    It doesn't look like something I can buy. Having to once again rebuy software is a deal-breaker. Having no card slot is a deal-breaker. Having no D-pad might be a deal breaker (depending on how it feels to use multitouch, gestures, and keyboard nav with search).

I like the UI improvements. That's my biggest gripe with WinMo, is that it takes too much effort on my part to get to where I'm going and do what I want to do (as compared to PalmOS).

I'll save my vote for when it actually comes out and I can play with it in the Sprint store, but I'm going to guess this will be the last straw, and I'll simply have to go with someone else. Maybe the Pre-2 will be the incremental upgrade that will fix all of my gripes, but I don't know if I can wait around that long.

Palm, I have to say, congrats on doing some wonderful things. This is most certainly not a Foleo, but it's not an iPhone either. I think a third-base hit is probably the best analogy, because this is not a homerun, but it's still pretty darn impressive.
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Visualfx View Post
    i just chatted with sprint online and they had nothing to offer the service rep never even heard of ces.
    Not surprising. It's easy to have more info than most sales reps, whether online, on the phone or in a store.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post

Agreed.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    There are plenty of PalmOS apps which are better than the alternatives on any other smartphone platform, e.g. Chattermail. Let's hope these new apps are as functional.

One concern I have is how well this device works with the data connection turned off.
    That's the value proposition for the carriers - you get this phone, you take one of their data packages, it will be crippled without the data connection.
    Jeeze, this didn't take long, did it? Everyone was worried about Palm's Last Stand at CES. Palm comes out and demos an insane freakin' device, and it takes all of two minutes for the whining to start.

*sigh*
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Interesting how they seem to have drawn their lines in the sand.

iPhone + AT&T? Fine. Now, Treo Pre* + Sprint.

I agree. Pre is a stupid name. It implys "before." Before what? Will there be a Palm Post?
    Jeff
    supposedly, it syncs with the cloud. I'm hoping i don't need a computer.
    The big question is Battery life with this always on webOS. That is a thin device, but at least the battery is removable.

8GB of space...I am sure you can add apps that are NOT web based. The media player, Splash Data's apps, and pics are a few instances of non web-based apps. But there has to be an expansion slot...microSD?

Loving the wireless charging and the 3.5mm jack...finally!! Sprint, hurry up and refresh your website so I can sign up!
    Has anyone figured out how to pre-order yet?

Nothing on Sprints site....
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    by not having the PRE-registration info on their website right now...
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Palm stock's up 13%
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Web based apps are pretty innovative too me.
    No price, battery details and availability aside... Palm basically puller their pants down, showed us how big a pair they have and squat over the BB Storm and left a steamy pile on top of it....bravo Palm!
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 17 ... LastLast