Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
  1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    That phone is thin!
    Do you have a side view pic?
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    Ok. the most important question has not been addressed so far: does it allow thousands of old Palm OS apps?

Without the back compatiablity, I highly doubt it can be a success. It is just a Touch Dual clone.
    That is a concern of mine, but I think it'll be a success either way.

I want my DUN, though, and I want to be able to use my existing gps/mapping software on my Treo.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    ohh, please give us GSM. Can't wait to put my hands on this piece in Europe. Please......Great coverage Dieter!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrackerman View Post
    And no mention at all of the phone app???
    Oh, it's a phone too?!?!?
    So can I write non-web apps for this phone?
    How would I write an app that needs to store data in a local database?

Don't want my splash id data to be stored on a 3rd party server.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    I wish someone would update their site! I'd love to pre-register for this, SPRINT. And why doesn't Palm have anything on their website?
    I couldn't find it on either site, either.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I'm not worried about backward compatibilty. You see how quickly a new Blackberry OS emulator appeared on Windows Mobile? A software Garnet OS emulator is likely in the cards as well.

As for price, you really think this will be more than $50 more or less than the 3G iPhone? Not a chance.

Otherwise, this is the baddest *** device I've seen in mahy moons, and appears to fix SO many of the things that bother me about the iPhone OS.

I'm buying this on day one. It's my reward for incessant Sprint loyalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Do you have a side view pic?
    I wonder when we'll get to see some good device pictures along with OS demo?
    Thanks treocentral team for the great coverage.

I am glad it is on Sprint. If it works out as well as it looks thypcial time for verizon would be 3 months. I dont thin a gSM of this exact form or something close to it could be that far behind if the markets judge this a winner
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Totally agree. Might as well look at Android if none of my Palm apps will work. With Android I can get a GSM phone.
    The G1 is so far behind this new Pre IMO. All of these features that just make it so easy to use and to get information NOW. A hit for Palm and Sprint.
    I have been a power user for about 5 years. Treo 650-700p-755p-centro.
    I switched to WinMo Touch Diamond this past year.
    IMO, the biggest advantage to WinMo is that you can edit the registry of the OS, alllowing you to easliy customize most functions of the phone.
    I would hope the Pre is capable of this, perhaps a 3rd party app?

Also, tethering for free is a big criteria. This is simple with Treo and WinMo.

Did they EVER actually show the phone app for the Pre?
    i just chatted with sprint online and they had nothing to offer the service rep never even heard of ces.
  14. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
    Very disappointed there is no mention or hint of Verizon. I don't want to be relegated to WinMobile or Blackberry for future upgrades...
    If this is a big enough hit on Sprint--which wouldn't surprise me from the presentation--Verizon won't turn it down. And there's never a mention of what other carriers will get it when there's an exclusive. I'm hoping 1) Palm's already talking to other carriers (re post-exclusivity) and that they'll launch an unlocked GSM version 3 months after Sprint's is launched.
  15. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    Wow... I think that's the thinnest slider I've seen yet. Thank you, Jon Rubenstein.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Are you kidding me? Most of the Palm OS apps are outdated. With the ease of development of new apps using all of the features of the current tech out there, these palm os apps are old news already.
    There are plenty of PalmOS apps which are better than the alternatives on any other smartphone platform, e.g. Chattermail. Let's hope these new apps are as functional.

One concern I have is how well this device works with the data connection turned off. Also, will it run Java apps? How good is the email client? Is it as good as Chatter?
    For those people who want to buy it at day one, why not get android or iphone? Without the backward compatibility, are you expecting a new version TOMTOM OR IGO be released so sooooon? Are you expecting all those med application be updated within three days?

The reason this event can attract so many posts within two hours is because this device is from palm, the PALM OS CREATOR.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I want my DUN, though, and I want to be able to use my existing gps/mapping software on my Treo.
    DUN is going to be the main thing for me too. I don't know how PDAnet or USBModem can program their apps with CSS & Javascript, but I sure hope they can. It will be a no-go for me if there is not a good DUN option.
    Pen+Paper > Treo300 > Treo600 > Treo 700p
    man im sooooo MAD about the DPAD. One of the things i like doing most is playing games.. they've taken away that ability.

GRRRRRR!

hopefully another form factor will come out.
    -tgwaste
    I hope they don't stay exclusive with sprint as long as iphone has stayed with att.