Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526
    In these types of conversations on tangential topics, across multiple threads (or forums), it can be difficult to avoid repetitive and circular talk, so I'm sorry if we've been here before but...

I don't know how simple it would be to implement, but it sure could be a simple solution to use the convenience of the Pre's mass storage device functionality to just reach in and GRAB (or drop off) the PIM or other data that you want. Obviously file types (and other things that are probably beyond my range of knowledge) are among the impediments, but the concept sounds quite doable.

And, since some of you have mentioned that there are software applications that sync mass storage devices and pc folders, I'm thinking we could have the best parts of the Hotsync process but without the gristle.

Maybe? Huh? Maybe?

It'd potentially solve the back-up and transfer issues if the device's viewable file structure went beyond simple (mass) storage sections and into "Ahh, THERE'S the Excel document I edited (on the Pre) earlier, today," territory.

It's hard to express, so if that was more confusing, lemme know.
    Last edited by west3man; 01/13/2009 at 07:27 AM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    In these types of conversations on tangential topics, across multiple threads (or forums), it can be difficult to avoid repetitive and circular talk, so I'm sorry if we've been here before but...

I don't know how simple it would be to implement, but it sure could be a simple solution to use the convenience of the Pre's mass storage device functionality to just reach in and GRAB (or drop off) the PIM or other data that you want. Obviously file types (and other things that are probably beyond my range of knowledge) are among the impediments, but the concept sounds quite doable.

And, since some of you have mentioned that there are software applications that sync mass storage devices and pc folders, I'm thinking we could have the best parts of the Hotsync process but without the gristle.

Maybe? Huh? Maybe?

It'd potentially solve the back-up and transfer issues if the device's viewable file structure went beyond simple (mass) storage sections and into (ahh, there's the Excel document I edited (on the Pre) earlier, today.

It's hard to express, so if that was more confusing, lemme know.
    No that all makes perfect sense - I think you are right that surely there has to be some sort of document/media library manager.

The key to palm's intentions is that PIM data - if it's not accessible while the phone is being using as mass storage we have our answer...

Damn - someone has to go and steal a Pre so we can get some answers
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    No that all makes perfect sense - I think you are right that surely there has to be some sort of document/media library manager.

The key to palm's intentions is that PIM data - if it's not accessible while the phone is being using as mass storage we have our answer...

Damn - someone has to go and steal a Pre so we can get some answers
    Hehe. If nothing else, I'm getting more comfortable with the device's potential. For me, that goes a long way toward trusting that solutions for my concerns are or will be available.

I sure would miss not being able to record video, though, if they leave that out.
    EDIT: Oh yeah, and I am definitely hoping for a Palm Desktop. I love my current version, despite any shortcomings it might have.
    Ditto here!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Does that mean Palm will not provide means for legacy users to export their PIM data into the cloud? no, but if they provide something that allows you to get information directly from palm desktop to the device, I see that as being a one-one process not something that is going to allow people to carry over legacy practices.[/I]
    That would be fine with me as well, provided it will not cost me anything in addition to the phone and my carrier's data plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    sounds like you just want to drink some kool-aid and be an unhelpful a**.
    Why not let the OP respond rather than answer for someone else...no thank you for your response.
    I can appreciate the value of the cloud, but I spend a lot of my time on the ground and that's where I want some version of my data to reside.

I want to... no, I need to have access to my contacts even when I don't have wings (i.e. access to the cloud).
    We have realize the positioning of this device. It's not intended for buisness-use only, and it's not intended for the flip-phone caller.

It's design and approach is towards the "fat-middle", a "lifestyle" device ...the trend direction that mobility is headed; the Cloud. This is a device that compliments the current and next wave in handheld communication devices. It's demographic is young-corporate.

It remains to be seen if the Pre can have some kind of connection to your desktop contacts. IMO, I would say it doesn't because that's not the intent of the attraction for this device.

Honestly, I think you should look into a WM or BlackBerry device. This doesn't sound like your type of solution.
    Sorry for being curt in the previous response.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    We have realize the positioning of this device. It's not intended for buisness-use only, and it's not intended for the flip-phone caller.

It's design and approach is towards the "fat-middle", a "lifestyle" device ...the trend direction that mobility is headed; the Cloud. This is a device that compliments the current and next wave in handheld communication devices. It's demographic is young-corporate.

It remains to be seen if the Pre can have some kind of connection to your desktop contacts. IMO, I would say it doesn't because that's not the intent of the attraction for this device.

Honestly, I think you should look into a WM or BlackBerry device. This doesn't sound like your type of solution.
    Sorry for being curt in the previous response.
    Blackberry won't do it for me. They're just NOW getting a device with a touchscreen.

Windows Mobile lacks Palm's few-clicks approach, from what I understand.

Between the two, I'd be more likely to go for WM, but I'm more interested in the Pre. Dunno why you keep suggesting I look elsewhere, but no thank you.

Thanks for the apology.
    I am cool with the local backup aspect of the Pre. The USB drive capability means the you will be able to back it up to your PC with the same ease with which you can back up any drive attached to your PC.
    Blackberry won't do it for me. They're just NOW getting a device with a touchscreen.
    Oh..I must have missed the Touchscreen reference. I have a Curve for work, lack of a touchscreen is a bit of a bummer but the trackball makes up for it allot...
    Windows Mobile lacks Palm's few-clicks approach, from what I understand.
    Absolutely true...I've switched from the 700p to the HTC Touch over a year ago. I was surprised in the lack of a satisfying user experience and the number of steps to go through in order to do a simple task. Only now with HTC's TouchFlo3D has this been improved.
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526