Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They didn't.

There was some confusion on a few sites but the center button is apparently just a button, not a trackball.
    Yeah, I thought the guy in the demo video referred to it as a crutch or training wheels or something. Not really needed, but there for transitional users.

I may be old school, but I still like using d-pads for navigation in addition to touch interfaces.
    Yeah, I've tried using touch scrolling in Opera Mini on my Centro, to try to get used to it... (of course, it's resistive, which blows chunks for anything more than tapping.)

I could definitely go for a good D-pad or trackball.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    Yeah, I've tried using touch scrolling in Opera Mini on my Centro, to try to get used to it... (of course, it's resistive, which blows chunks for anything more than tapping.)

I could definitely go for a good D-pad or trackball.
    It's not even scrolling that concerns me at all (probably because I have a Dell XT tablet with capacitive touch and I find myself using touch scrolling on that all the time), but navigation through text fields and gaming. For those two purposes at least, a d-pad just can't be beat.

I realize they're not focusing on the gaming at all, but even a trackball would be nice for text field navigation. Unless they want to add a tab key to their keyboard that is.
    I expect that the gesture area acts the same as it would it does as the track pad on a laptop when navigation a window with scrollbar. You use your figure to scroll up or down and then a quick swipe quickly scrolls multiple pages. In effect it would function the same as the Curve's trackball without the mechanical ball.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Yeah, I thought the guy in the demo video referred to it as a crutch or training wheels or something. Not really needed, but there for transitional users.

I may be old school, but I still like using d-pads for navigation in addition to touch interfaces.
    i imagine the button helps as a tactile cue too. the surface of the pre is so clean & smooth, that it's not obvious which side is up just by feel, if you don't have that little nub.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    ...clip...

Another 'Old School' guy here too.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by WildFireX View Post
    Well, that's nice. Multitouch, "laptop-like performance" (I'll believe it when I see it), accelerometer, prox., ambient light. Oh hey, a 3.0 MP camera with a flash! Nice. Full feature set for a change. Something that actually sets the pace for other smartphones instead of being just on the lagging side of the technology curve.
    unfortunately the camera is on the cheap side and as a result G1 apps like Shop Savvy won't work on a Pre. You need a variable focal length lens. Rumor has it that Apple will be adding a compatible device on their next phone.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    unfortunately the camera is on the cheap side and as a result G1 apps like Shop Savvy won't work on a Pre. You need a variable focal length lens. Rumor has it that Apple will be adding a compatible device on their next phone.
    I seem to recall them saying something about adjustable depth of field or something on the Pre's camera.
    I seem to recall them saying something about adjustable depth of field or something on the Pre's camera.
    Unfortunately they mentioned something about "digital depth of field".
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Unfortunately they mentioned something about "digital depth of field".
    ...and software autofocus...but that might be good enough to use a barscanner feature...who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    ...and software autofocus...but that might be good enough to use a barscanner feature...who knows?
    According to the guys at shop savvy the camera won't work... They said they would be on board if there was any model with a usable camera in the future...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

According to the guys at shop savvy the camera won't work... They said they would be on board if there was any model with a usable camera in the future...
    Oh yeah, because I'm sure they've used the camera already to have any clue.

Considering there was a Treo 600/650 app to take pictures of barcodes that worked relatively well (better on the 650, if I remember right) I'm sure it would be possible if they actually tried it.
    Considering there was a Treo 600/650 app to take pictures of barcodes that worked relatively well (better on the 650, if I remember right) I'm sure it would be possible if they actually tried it.
    Do you remember what app that was for the 650 by any chance?

Here is exactly what the guys over at shop savvy had to say:
    "I just checked, they used the uber-cheap camera - i.e. no ability to focus. Even Apple is adding the variable focal length lens to the iPhone. Sorry, ShopSavvy won't work on the first generation Pre, once they upgrade to the current generation of cameras we are so totally there... "

Maybe the old app had a better way of using the camera... if so I would sure like to have it if you can remember the name.

Do you remember what app that was for the 650 by any chance?

Here is exactly what the guys over at shop savvy had to say:
    "I just checked, they used the uber-cheap camera - i.e. no ability to focus. Even Apple is adding the variable focal length lens to the iPhone. Sorry, ShopSavvy won't work on the first generation Pre, once they upgrade to the current generation of cameras we are so totally there... "

Maybe the old app had a better way of using the camera... if so I would sure like to have it if you can remember the name.
    http://treoware.com/barcode.html

Unfortunately all it does is take the barcode. And it wasn't 100% accuracy if I remember right, but I think it was pretty decent usually during my testing on the 700p way back when.

Why does it need a variable focal length? I mean, if you don't have the camera so close to the screen, then shouldn't it be able to focus on it? And I'm not sure how ShopSavvy could have "just checked" anyway considering that's information that isn't available unless you have an SDK and the SDK is only released to their current partners right now.

I'd wait and see on release what pictures look like, and if they're good enough up close, email ShopSavvy some barcode pictures from the Pre to prove to them they're wrong, and they might do it.
    OK, Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Cloud computing and SAAS (software as a service) is the future, and I wouldn't want a new device that doesn't support it. Having said that, it behooves Palm to offer an "upgrade" path where people can migrate their PIM data to the cloud. They should offer a service that will upload your calendar to Google Calender for example....move your tasks to RememberTheMilk or the like.

Ideally, I'd like to see a service that is duplicated on the Palm, so if you can't get access to the web you could still see your PIM data and even update it (updates would transfer to the web the next time you had access.)

Perhaps a company like Pimlico, (Datebook) with their new crossplatform desktop PIM will support something like this.
    So, there are programs that will let me edit, say, Tasks on BOTH my pc and a cloud-storing device? (I currently have Palm Desktop open all day long on my pc while I work because it is bigger/easier than my Treo -- then I hotsync at the end of each workday. I absolutely must be able to do this into the future.)
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    So, there are programs that will let me edit, say, Tasks on BOTH my pc and a cloud-storing device? (I currently have Palm Desktop open all day long on my pc while I work because it is bigger/easier than my Treo -- then I hotsync at the end of each workday. I absolutely must be able to do this into the future.)
    Let me use exchange as an example (NOTE: I am not saying "rush out and get exchange, you must get it now! now! - this is just for an example, other services of this type are available! etc etc - so anyone who replies "I don't use outlook" get a punch in the chops).

All of my PIM data is stored on the exchange server -

I can access this via my phone, a outlook desktop client and an outlook webclient. I'll assume you've seen both a phone (!) and outlook before, here is a picture of outlook web client:

http://i.technet.microsoft.com/Aa996...,EXCHG.65).gif

Ok, our example.

I update a task on my phone - that change is instantly sent to the server which is the "authoritative" version of my data, this also updates the desk client with this information (instantly if it is running or later if my computer is off).

If I log onto outlook web access (because I'm not at home), that change is already present there.

Now the other way - if I'm working using the desktop client, as soon as I add a task, it appears on the phone, I don't do anything it just appears.

Both the phone and the desktop client hold locally cached version of my information, so if I am suddendly cut off, both hold my contacts, my tasks and my emails.

In the same way, if I sent an email off my phone, that instantly appears in the "sent" box of the desktop client and the outlook webaccess.

Does that all make sense or is any of it unclear and you'd like me to go into more detail?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Let me use exchange as an example (NOTE: I am not saying "rush out and get exchange, you must get it now! now! - this is just for an example, other services of this type are available! etc etc - so anyone who replies "I don't use outlook" get a punch in the chops).

All of my PIM data is stored on the exchange server -

I can access this via my phone, a outlook desktop client and an outlook webclient. I'll assume you've seen both a phone (!) and outlook before, here is a picture of outlook web client:

http://i.technet.microsoft.com/Aa996...,EXCHG.65).gif

Ok, our example.

I update a task on my phone - that change is instantly sent to the server which is the "authoritative" version of my data, this also updates the desk client with this information (instantly if it is running or later if my computer is off).

If I log onto outlook web access (because I'm not at home), that change is already present there.

Now the other way - if I'm working using the desktop client, as soon as I add a task, it appears on the phone, I don't do anything it just appears.

Both the phone and the desktop client hold locally cached version of my information, so if I am suddendly cut off, both hold my contacts, my tasks and my emails.

In the same way, if I sent an email off my phone, that instantly appears in the "sent" box of the desktop client and the outlook webaccess.

Does that all make sense or is any of it unclear and you'd like me to go into more detail?
    Sounds like heaven.

Which Treo (or other phone) do you have?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Sounds like heaven.

Which Treo (or other phone) do you have?

I use a samsung i780 wm6 device and I pay 5 a month for the exchange service.

It really saved my bacon a few weeks ago - my device was destroyed and all of my PIM was inaccessible. I used the outlook web application to go on top during the day and then when my insurance provided a new phone the next day, I entered the exchange details (literally a couple of boxes) on the phone and it balm my contacts, diary, tasks all appeared.

Again that's not me saying everyone must rush out and get exchange - just an example of how it worked for me.
    Pretty cool.

Although I'm reluctant to sign up for more services that I'll be charged for in-perpetuity, I really want some way* solution that respects the value of "the cloud," but also recognizes the fact that I live on the ground.

* = and preferably for Palm to provide it (free of charge)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.