Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526 LastLast
    that means my data is stored on someone elses server.

you dont see a problem with that?
    -tgwaste
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tgwaste View Post
    huh?

iphone syncs to desktop, winmobile syncs to desktop

so where does it sync to if not the desktop ?
    Sure, both platforms can sync to the desktop, but each provides multiple ways to get away from that. I was exaggerating to make a point.

I would guess a large percentage of iPhone users are syncing wirelessly via either Exchange, Mobile Me, or Google. WinMo users are a mixed bag too, but many (most?) are also syncing via exchange or google or many of the other available options.

Nevermind the Blackberry users who ALL sync to the cloud...
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    that means my data is stored on someone elses server.

you dont see a problem with that?
    No. I trust Google's uptime a bit more than my own 3 year old laptop...
    To be completely honest, all my e-mail is in the cloud, and I wouldn't entirely mind having all that info linked in the cloud.

(The main reason I'm not using Google Calendar right now is because synchronization is quite clunky, and also I use an Abacus Wrist PDA, but if I moved to a Pre, the Wrist PDA would become a doorstop for my purposes ANYWAY (because my normal model is to compose events on my Centro, and then beam to my Wrist PDA via IR, and view there.))
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    It's not even confirmed that it DOESN'T sync to the desktop
    Yeah it is - one of the palm reps mentioned it in an interview (maybe with Dieter?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Nevermind the Blackberry users who ALL sync to the cloud...
    Completely untrue. Blackberry supports desktop syncing and if you don't have a BES account, thats probably what you are doing. Even if you do, you may want to desktop sync your contacts with your home PC.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Completely untrue. Blackberry supports desktop syncing and if you don't have a BES account, thats probably what you are doing. Even if you do, you may want to desktop sync your contacts with your home PC.
    What percentage of blackberry users sync to the desktop would you guess? 5% tops? You can still sync via google even with BIS. You can argue about desktop syncing all you want, but that concept is disappearing. There just aren't any many reasons anymore to do so.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Yeah it is - one of the palm reps mentioned it in an interview (maybe with Dieter?)
    I remember hearing something about how HotSync is dead, but not that there is no desktop sync.

In the massive hands-on vid, the guy mentions using the microUSB for things like syncing music and videos. So perhaps there is still hope.

Actually, I don't care where I sync my contacts, msgs, etc to - desktop, some web storage somewhere, whatever. I just need the capability to store it off device.

Since it's been stated how the Mojo SDK gives access to the contacts, it seems like it would be easy for an app to grab them and sync however it wants.
    What percentage of blackberry users sync to the desktop would you guess? 5% tops? You can still sync via google even with BIS. You can argue about desktop syncing all you want, but that concept is disappearing. There just aren't any many reasons anymore to do so.
    I would expect that only a small percentage of corporate users would. However, I would expect that the percentage of BIS users that desktop sync would be higher than the percentage who use google sync. There are many ex Garnet users who switched to BB Curves, I am sure many of them sync.
    [snip!]You can argue about desktop syncing all you want, but that concept is disappearing. There just aren't any many reasons anymore to do so.
    Hm, I considered my Outlook Contacts to be the most complete list I have of my contacts. I've been unable to sync my 755p in a long time, tho, so now, the contacts list in my phone is probably my most up-to-date one...

...certainly it's not the case that either my Yahoo or my Hotmail or my Gmail or my Plaxo or my Facebook accounts are more comprehensive...

Eeek...this syncing or even aggregating thing is going to one big headache...

:-)
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I think the PalmOS faithful must be the last stronghold of smartphone users who still sync PIM data with their desktop. And they'll be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Kidding aside, once you sync wirelessly and get rid of the desktop ball and chain, you won't want to go back.
    I have a Fuze and sync wirelessly with my work Exchange server, but I still need desktop sync. You can't sync notes with Exchange Activesync plus you need desktop sync to sync Favorites and documents. But when I go home, I really need desktop sync so I can sync my calendar, contacts, favorites, notes and documents with my home computer. I am sure there are lots of people who have similar needs like this.
    Jeff
    only two things you've said I can agree with. One thing you notice as all these multi touch devices come out is they do seem to rely on touch for operation. While it's not completely a bad thing, it does seem to be at the expense of other forms of navigation. Ones that were proven to be efficient and work well. The intro of the D-pad to the palm OS was a huge improvement and one of the few things I actually liked when I had to leave my i500 behind for a treo. And it seems like such an easy thing to include if you're already putting a central button at the bottom. Seriously, a touch interface is great for some things, but you completely give up one handed operation. And if you make a virtual d-pad, you give up screen real estate and tactile feel. If you can give the gesture area d-pad functionality, it might do the trick. But it just seems like a waste of a button when it's the only real one on phone (not counting volume or the ringer switch). Though it's funny they lose the d-pad yet keep the ringer switch.

And I do hope it has a card slot. My Sansas have card slots that I exchange music back and forth. I use a microSD in my camera with adapter from time to time so I can upload photos from my phone. Not to mention as a backup option and quick up and download with my pc (or others' pc's) without having to connect or sync. I never can seem to get bt syncing to always work.

At the moment it just seems like two simple things that were omitted that were reliably on every treo out there since they first arrived (the features that is).
    the dpad and lack of card reader will make me never want to buy this device. all of my other points I can overlook. but not those two.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    All I know is going from Palm Desktop to any other PIM, the mapping is never 100% accurate. I have 1300 contacts or so and some with quite a few numbers, adrs and extensive info. I've mapped it to outlook a few times when trying other phones, and not once was I frustrated as all get out trying to make sure everything was in the right spot. I'll be quite peeved if I have to deal with outlook, yahoo, google or whatever. Facebook? please. Like I want to have all my work info detailed in my facebook account. Bad enough things are as public as they are in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bender29 View Post
    Actually, I don't care where I sync my contacts, msgs, etc to - desktop, some web storage somewhere, whatever. I just need the capability to store it off device.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Cloud computing and SAAS (software as a service) is the future, and I wouldn't want a new device that doesn't support it. Having said that, it behooves Palm to offer an "upgrade" path where people can migrate their PIM data to the cloud. They should offer a service that will upload your calendar to Google Calender for example....move your tasks to RememberTheMilk or the like.

Ideally, I'd like to see a service that is duplicated on the Palm, so if you can't get access to the web you could still see your PIM data and even update it (updates would transfer to the web the next time you had access.)

Perhaps a company like Pimlico, (Datebook) with their new crossplatform desktop PIM will support something like this.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Having said that, it behooves Palm to offer an "upgrade" path where people can migrate their PIM data to the cloud.
    Why? A lot of people seem to have this fantasy of a special relationship between Palm OS users and the company - if that existed, it's gone in the toilet.

It's clear you "come across" on your own like the rest of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev View Post
    I have a Fuze and sync wirelessly with my work Exchange server, but I still need desktop sync. You can't sync notes with Exchange Activesync plus you need desktop sync to sync Favorites and documents. But when I go home, I really need desktop sync so I can sync my calendar, contacts, favorites, notes and documents with my home computer. I am sure there are lots of people who have similar needs like this.
    My situation is a little different. I connect to my employer's Exchange server via BES and a company issued blackberry. Connecting with a personal device is not permitted. Neither is connecting to the "cloud" from company owned equipment (either my BB or desktop computer). I am able to keep my PIM data in sync by desktop syncing my Centro to both my work desktop and my home desktop. The Pre would not be able to do this of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    All I know is going from Palm Desktop to any other PIM, the mapping is never 100% accurate.
    Very true, which is why I use KeySuite & Outlook rather than the built in PIM and PalmDesktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Though it's funny they lose the d-pad yet keep the ringer switch.
    I have a Curve for work and IMO the track ball is every bit as convenient and capable as a D-pad, and even then some. I'm glad to see that they went with the ball over the D-pad...
    don't know if this is posted already --

the official Palm CES presentation:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phon...m-pre-ces.html
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I have a Curve for work and IMO the track ball is every bit as convenient and capable as a D-pad, and even then some. I'm glad to see that they went with the ball over the D-pad...
    They didn't.

There was some confusion on a few sites but the center button is apparently just a button, not a trackball.