Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526 LastLast
    Hey I was wondering....

was Jeff Hawkins at that demonstration?
    Speaking of Jeff Hawkins, if they put this WebOS on a Foleo like device that could be pretty nice. As long as it has its own network connectivity & does not require a smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Speaking of Jeff Hawkins, if they put this WebOS on a Foleo like device that could be pretty nice. As long as it has its own network connectivity & does not require a smartphone.
    Dunno. I don't care for the wave of devices with upright touchscreens. It's uncomfortable, I would think, to have your arms suspended in the air moving crap around.

A trackpad allows one to relax the hand while navigating. This is a different animal and I don't think it likes me very much.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Forgot to mention, if want push back on some features as you say, you should post it blog.palm.com as feedback on one of the Pre entries. Palm reads all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    How do you quickly and easily navigate from field to field within an application without a d-pad? Think about creating a contact record.... I don't want to have to keep going back and forth from the keyboard to touching the screen to move around to the fields that I want to type in. It seems like it will slow down data entry significantly. On a Treo or Centro you can move your thumb(s) from the keyboard to the d-pad and back very quickly with out having to reposition the phone in your hand. I don't see how that will work as easily on the Pre. Am I missing something here.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very impressed with the Pre / webOS in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I think a few of you are waaaaayyyyyyy overthinking this device.

Does anyone SERIOUSLY believe Palm is going to make a device where it is difficult to move from field to field in the contacts entry? Sheeeesh!

Believe me guys when I say don't worry. This demo was a couple minutes overture showcasing only the revolutionary features which entering text fields isn't. The real show hasn't even begun yet.

Trust me. Everything is going to be okay. Just sit back & revel at all the great things they did get a chance to show and smile that Palm is back!
    Wow. Sometimes the tone on these forums can get ugly very quickly.

My intention was just to pose a question to get the thoughts of others on the topic. I even asked if I was missing something and mentioned that I was very impressed with the Pre / WebOS.

Now that I have thought more about it, maybe it's possible that you will use the "gesture area" for navigation similar to the d-pad when within an application (card)??? I'm sure someone that got their hands on the Pre can tell us.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    are you that one dimensional? html, java are just the language it's written in. There's no rule that says you have to be connected for the program to work. Have you had a positive thing to say yet? Every post I've read from you in this thread is all b*tch, b*tch, b*tch. Sound worse than my grandmother.
    oh im sorry. do i OWE you something positive?
    -tgwaste
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    "There's so much wrong with this post, that I hardly know where to begin."

Begin with that the main purpose of the phones was never to play games. I much prefer the clean look of no dpad. If that means game play on the phone suffers, so be it. Pull out your PSP
    ya the main purpose is to make phone calls.. yet during the whole palm presentation i dont think they showed the dialer even once, did they?

this is a PDA.. the point of a PDA is an ALL IN ONE DEVICE! when are you people gonna realize that simple damn fact!?
    -tgwaste
    The original treo was not and never was intended to be an all in one device. It was intended to converge a pda, cell phone, and a pager into one device. In designing the pre, I'm sure the developers obviously intended to expand its convergent scope especially given the synergy aspect of the PIM, calendar, and messaging. Game play was way down their list of importance if it ever was there to start. I mean honestly, you can beat a $169 PSP for game play and no smarthphone ever will as a dedicated player.
    come on man

you really dont think the cell phone is supposed to become an all in one device? really?

you just cant say thats not the future because it is.

i mean it aready IS that kind of a device..

i can:

play games
    make calls
    listen to music
    read email
    send messages
    browse the web
    etc..

the only question left is efficiency and I just dont think this phone goes all the way to address that.

some months back one of the admins or owners (im not sure which) from treocentral or treonaugts (again not sure which) wrote a very long email to palm with all the stuff they needed to address, it was a very very well written email and even got a response from Palm.

when i look at this phone its like they didnt listen to a single word that guy or any of its customers said.
    -tgwaste
    The original treo was not and never was intended to be an all in one device. It was intended to converge a pda, cell phone, and a pager into one device. In designing the pre, I'm sure the developers obviously intended to expand its convergent scope especially given the synergy aspect of the PIM, calendar, and messaging. Game play was way down their list of importance if it ever was there to start. I mean honestly, you can beat a $169 PSP for game play and no smarthphone ever will as a dedicated player.
    Not really the point.

My Treo CAN do this. I enjoy that it can. And I dig the fact that I don't have to carry another device for that purpose.

Apply that perspective to other functions and you begin to approach the point I and others have been making.

If that functionality is not for you, that's cool. I'm not saying it should be. Conversely, I don't know why our displeasure with the loss of a d-pad, for various reasons would inspire such a response from others.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Not really the point.

My Treo CAN do this. I enjoy that it can. And I dig the fact that I don't have to carry another device for that purpose.

Apply that perspective to other functions and you begin to approach the point I and others have been making.

If that functionality is not for you, that's cool. I'm not saying it should be. Conversely, I don't know why our displeasure with the loss of a d-pad, for various reasons would inspire such a response from others.
    finally some defense.

the dpad and lack of card reader will make me never want to buy this device. all of my other points I can overlook. but not those two.
    -tgwaste
    Yeah, i"m just mad they didn't include all my swiss army knife tools, garage door opener, car door remote, etc. I know that's the direction of these devices, buy when your staking the very livelihood of your company on this device. Game play performance didn't factor in the equation. That will not be the tipping point for the purchase decision of the mass market. How well it performs the core functions will ultimately determine its and palm's fate.

Besides for the gamers maybe someone will develop a usb game pad for the device.
    Yeah, i"m just mad they didn't include all my swiss army knife tools, garage door opener, car door remote, etc. I know that's the direction of these devices, buy when your staking the very livelihood of your company on this device. Game play performance didn't factor in the equation. That will not be the tipping point for the purchase decision of the mass market. How well it performs the core functions will ultimately determine its and palm's fate.
    As you say, more and more, people are judging phones by how well they do things other than make calls, including... how well they send e-mails, play music, play video, edit office documents, browse the internet, play games, etc.

There's a cumulative effect there. The fact that the d-pad, for instance, can be an impediment to any or all of these things is significant. We'll see how significant in the months to come.

I'm hoping for a virtual d-pad for portrait mode. Not sure how it might happen in landscape mode.

Besides for the gamers maybe someone will develop a usb game pad for the device.
    What a pain that would be. If I carry a device of that size, I'd want that sucker to fulfill multiple functions for me.

I'd consider a Foleo, a laptop around the size of my current 11-inch model, a Treo, a Pre (that really oughta be called a Preo or SOMEthing), etc. because they can do multiple things.

Even when I carried an iPod more regularly, it was because I wanted

Besides, even if the gamepad worked, I'd have to figure out how to hold it and the phone at the same time. But y'know, I suppose there may be a way to make it happen. The game changes occasionally. So must the tools of the game.
    Not really the point.

I have to admit, I enjoy that my treo can do this as well. First, it's extremely nice to be able to operate it pretty much one handed. Not just nice, it makes it a more effective PDA. I don't see how one could operate the pre one handed, but it could be possible. It's also nice to be able to run my console emulators and kill time with that some times, which I just can't see doing very effectively without the pad.

For myself, I'm holding off judgement on this particular feature lack until I can play with the phone and the new UI myself. We've seen a lot of promising stuff in pics and video, but we won't know for sure how it will play out till we play it ourselves. Besides, we all need to keep in mind that this is the first device.

I think Palm has starved us all for so long of compelling groundbreaking offerings that we all hoped this first truly new and different device would be everything we wanted. Of course, it can't be everything everyone wants, because we all have slightly different needs/wants.

I'm trying to see it for what it appears to be... stellar groundwork for many good things to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon213 View Post
    I have to admit, I enjoy that my treo can do this as well. First, it's extremely nice to be able to operate it pretty much one handed. Not just nice, it makes it a more effective PDA. I don't see how one could operate the pre one handed, but it could be possible. It's also nice to be able to run my console emulators and kill time with that some times, which I just can't see doing very effectively without the pad.

For myself, I'm holding off judgement on this particular feature lack until I can play with the phone and the new UI myself. We've seen a lot of promising stuff in pics and video, but we won't know for sure how it will play out till we play it ourselves. Besides, we all need to keep in mind that this is the first device.

I think Palm has starved us all for so long of compelling groundbreaking offerings that we all hoped this first truly new and different device would be everything we wanted. Of course, it can't be everything everyone wants, because we all have slightly different needs/wants.

I'm trying to see it for what it appears to be... stellar groundwork for many good things to come.
    I hear ya. I'm trying, as well.
    I'll miss desktop syncing. I don't want to have to use Google, Yahoo, etc. for that kind of stuff. I don't use anyone's calendar but Palm's.
    Ditto here, all the way back to the Vx. If I get this phone, there's gonna be a huge learning curve. Or, stated another way, it is going to take a lot of my precioius TIME to turn this into (for me) an efficient business tool.
    wait... it doesnt sync to the desktop either???
    -tgwaste
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I think the PalmOS faithful must be the last stronghold of smartphone users who still sync PIM data with their desktop. And they'll be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Kidding aside, once you sync wirelessly and get rid of the desktop ball and chain, you won't want to go back.
    huh?

iphone syncs to desktop, winmobile syncs to desktop

so where does it sync to if not the desktop ?
    -tgwaste
    It's not even confirmed that it DOESN'T sync to the desktop, but if it doesn't, it'll sync directly to Exchange server and Gmail/Google Calendar.