Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Rounded edges and a sliding QWERTY keyboard! Sure it does.
    does an iphone has a physical keyboard
    i dont have one, so i wouldnt know..

still using my OLD bulky, trusty treo 650 which is not giving me any problem at all
    Last edited by daniela; 01/09/2009 at 01:14 AM.
    No, it doesn't. It's an on-screen keyboard, and I can't stand it. (Yes, I've actually tried it, although not that seriously.)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tgwaste
    infra-red is a very popular item amongst real estate agents.

Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    I'd like to know specifically what that means ... is it for beaming their contact card? Can't you do that over Bluetooth these days (and to other non-Palm phones to boot)?
    real estate agents are using palmos devices to open lockboxes via infrared... if i'm not mistaken, they call it supra ekey
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    No, it doesn't. It's an on-screen keyboard, and I can't stand it. (Yes, I've actually tried it, although not that seriously.)
    so johncc is wrong then, iphone doesnt have a QWERTY physical keyboard
    No, he's saying that the Pre has rounded edges and a QWERTY keyboard that the iPhone doesn't have.
    Sarcasm can be hard to get across sometimes.
    Just call me Berd.
    oh, i got it.. sorry to johncc, my bad

i thought he was the one who said that Pre looks a lot like the iPhone..
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    jkOnTheRun has some interesting details posted about the Touchstone.

The back of it is semi-adhesive so you can stick it on something and the Pre will then stick to it.

They have a shot of it attached at ~45 degree angle.
    http://jkontherun.com/2009/01/08/pal...semi-adhesive/
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kasi1222 View Post
    jkOnTheRun has some interesting details posted about the Touchstone.

The back of it is semi-adhesive so you can stick it on something and the Pre will then stick to it.

They have a shot of it attached at ~45 degree angle.
    http://jkontherun.com/2009/01/08/pal...semi-adhesive/
    From the "Dieter's Palm Pre Impressions" thread,

Quote Originally Posted by RizP
    The base of the touchstone does not have a traditional adhesive surface. Rather, you can rub it against a furry/wooly surface to empart a static charge to it then "stick" it to your desk. The demonstrator I was with (more on him in a moment) stuck the Touchstone to a wall then mounted his pre to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    The d-pad would be useful for games, like you suggest, but also for other apps that people will still find useful and that wouldn't necessarily lend themselves, very well, to the swipe and swoosh method of interfacing and inputting.

I'll add that I'm concerned about how hard it may be to highlight text (and thus, to copy/paste it).

But I remain excited and hopeful.
    I think a lot of you are still thinking in terms of old OS navigation and operation. Palm will have to do something new to get everything to work intuitively. We all know that just putting touch ontop of all the different current OS's just doesn't work.

As far as copy and paste, one thing that might work is that when you go to select word(s) you just have to get close to the beginning of the word and it'll know you want to copy it so it automatically selects the whole word(s) for you. Just a thought.

Speaking of iPhone games that do just fine without a d-pad equivalent... No thanks.

If I had to choose between playing my games by angling my device back and forth or just using a directional controller of some sort, I'd go for the latter. No contest.

There's a certain novelty to those iGames, but iThinkNot.
    I never said any of those games were any good, but there are a few that I know are. I prefer my gaming with a dpad and buttons, but I also prefer a real gaming experience. Something emersive and not just a time waster. Something I've never had on any phone, so I reach for my PSP or DSLite. I've never once bought a phone with its gaming ability in mind, let alone a factor in its purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    If you need a game machine buy a damn psp and leave the smartphones to the people who need them for business.
    I agree with the point you're trying to make, but it could have been made better.

Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    How do you quickly and easily navigate from field to field within an application without a d-pad? Think about creating a contact record.... I don't want to have to keep going back and forth from the keyboard to touching the screen to move around to the fields that I want to type in. It seems like it will slow down data entry significantly. On a Treo or Centro you can move your thumb(s) from the keyboard to the d-pad and back very quickly with out having to reposition the phone in your hand. I don't see how that will work as easily on the Pre. Am I missing something here.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very impressed with the Pre / webOS in general.
    I'm not sure how they'll make text input to fields easy. With all they've shown us so far and how well everything works I doubt that would be something they leave out. Right now the dpad is the most efficient way but that could change **I'm hoping**
    I know they don't have desktop syncing, but I like being able to enter my Splash ID or Diet and Exercise information with a regular keyboard. I've never use the pda keyboards as primary entry. I've always used graffiti and syncing to desktop. I guess those portable bluetooth keyboards that I bought will get a lot of use with this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    I think a lot of you are still thinking in terms of old OS navigation and operation. Palm will have to do something new to get everything to work intuitively. We all know that just putting touch ontop of all the different current OS's just doesn't work.
    Not sure if/where you're agreeing or disagreeing.

EDIT: Based on your last comment (below) I will conclude that you're agreeing.
    As far as copy and paste, one thing that might work is that when you go to select word(s) you just have to get close to the beginning of the word and it'll know you want to copy it so it automatically selects the whole word(s) for you. Just a thought.
    I dunno, but I'm becoming concerned.

I never said any of those games were any good, but there are a few that I know are. I prefer my gaming with a dpad and buttons, but I also prefer a real gaming experience. Something emersive and not just a time waster. Something I've never had on any phone, so I reach for my PSP or DSLite. I've never once bought a phone with its gaming ability in mind, let alone a factor in its purchase.
    My phone is many things to me. It's the reason I prefer it - it saves me from carrying so many gadgets.

Those gadgets include a dumbphone, a music player, a gps device, a game system, sometimes a laptop, etc. When I'm waiting on my lady to finally pick a purse or a pair of shoes, the gaming capabilities come in really handy. Sure, I could stream via Kinoma or read the news, but sometimes I don't feel like doing those things. Besides, I really enjoy playing games - particularly through emulators that allow me to have the game experience I'm used to (not a poor facsimile).

So, all of the devices my Treo replaces are considerations when I pick a new one. I could see how that wouldn't be the case for someone else, but gaming is one of the many things that I think would require a traditional interface method (even if it were virtual, considering how big the screen is).
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I know they don't have desktop syncing, but I like being able to enter my Splash ID or Diet and Exercise information with a regular keyboard. I've never use the pda keyboards as primary entry. I've always used graffiti and syncing to desktop. I guess those portable bluetooth keyboards that I bought will get a lot of use with this phone.
    I'll miss desktop syncing. I don't want to have to use Google, Yahoo, etc. for that kind of stuff. I don't use anyone's calendar but Palm's.

The way this is going, I may have to pass on this device, after all. I don't want to buy a bunch of third-party stuff to get the device to do some of the simpler stuff.

We'll see, I guess. More phones may mean more potential form factor choices (i.e. maybe a d-pad equivalent).
    I've mentioned this under other umbrella terms before, but let me say it explicitly:

I want to be able to edit office documents on my device. So, I want an easy interface for that purpose. If it happens to be a virtual d-pad, that might do the job - but I'd be a bit disappointed (if only b/c of power efficiency concerns.

The loss of tactile d-pad sensations is... well, it's a loss. Someone's going to have to be mighty clever to make this work.

The more I think about that long screen, the more I begin to think it IS POSSIBLE to create a virtual interface. I guess that would only work in portrait mode, though. $#!+ !!!!!
    I'll miss desktop syncing. I don't want to have to use Google, Yahoo, etc. for that kind of stuff. I don't use anyone's calendar but Palm's.

The way this is going, I may have to pass on this device, after all. I don't want to buy a bunch of third-party stuff to get the device to do some of the simpler stuff.

We'll see, I guess. More phones may mean more potential form factor choices (i.e. maybe a d-pad equivalent).
    I think a few of you are waaaaayyyyyyy overthinking this device.

Does anyone SERIOUSLY believe Palm is going to make a device where it is difficult to move from field to field in the contacts entry? Sheeeesh!

Believe me guys when I say don't worry. This demo was a couple minutes overture showcasing only the revolutionary features which entering text fields isn't. The real show hasn't even begun yet.

Trust me. Everything is going to be okay. Just sit back & revel at all the great things they did get a chance to show and smile that Palm is back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I think a few of you are waaaaayyyyyyy overthinking this device.

Does anyone SERIOUSLY believe Palm is going to make a device where it is difficult to move from field to field in the contacts entry? Sheeeesh!
    I think you are waaaayyyyyyy over-thinking my post. I said I don't store my primary contact information through Outlook, Google, Yahoo, or anything else except for the applications Palm supplied in the past.

We're talking about syncing. The title is Hotsyncing. Where'd you get the idea that we didn't think we could move from one field to another in a contacts entry?

I'll put it this way: maybe that's someone's concern, but it's certainly not mine.
    I wasn't singling out your post. I was catching up with the thread this morning & yours happen to be last. The tone of a lot posts are about how am I going to be navigate quickly without a D-Pad to enter in text, or how am I going to get by without hotsyncing or what am I going to do without such and such application that was on PalmOS.

I think Palm's point is that are revolutionarily changing the HOW of managing things you did in the past on other smartphones. That the new HOW is going to be much better than the old ways. My point is that we have only been given a small glimpse of the new HOW and the little we saw was more amazing than anyone would've guessed. Until we see the rest of the NEW HOW, people should not work start assuming they will not be able to accomplish tasks they did before in terms of the OLD HOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I wasn't singling out your post. I was catching up with the thread this morning & yours happen to be last. The tone of a lot posts are about how am I going to be navigate quickly without a D-Pad to enter in text, or how am I going to get by without hotsyncing or what am I going to do without such and such application that was on PalmOS.

I think Palm's point is that are revolutionarily changing the HOW of managing things you did in the past on other smartphones. That the new HOW is going to be much better than the old ways. My point is that we have only been given a small glimpse of the new HOW and the little we saw was more amazing than anyone would've guessed. Until we see the rest of the NEW HOW, people should not work start assuming they will not be able to accomplish tasks they did before in terms of the OLD HOW.
    But do you agree that there's cause for concern? Not online rioting, you understand, but concern?

Because that's what I see people expressing. True enough, that concern is filtered through the prism of our respective and collective abilities to imagine and interpolate how the NEW HOW could or could not translate into n favorable NEW HOW for the types of apps that we dig.
    But do you agree that there's cause for concern? Not online rioting, you understand, but concern?

Because that's what I see people expressing. True enough, that concern is filtered through the prism of our respective and collective abilities to imagine and interpolate how the NEW HOW could or could not translate into n favorable NEW HOW for the types of apps that we dig.
    I agree with you on this.

Moreover Palm will certainly be over the next few months deciding some features and capabilities to add, refine, so it is important to get it out there.

It is like the discussion on Price: will Sprint require the higher priced plans ala Instinct? answer they signaled it righ there in the keynote and will if there is no blow back.

Or the question whether standalone GPS will be disabled ala the unique scheme on the Palm 800w: they will if they figure it will push more people to premium services like Telenave and there is not judged to be sufficent potential blowback

Also Palm must right now have a team working on the next devices. There will b fresher devices, more capable more expensive ones, perhaps even less capable cheaper ones, and product counter responses to whatever responses the current healthy big boys, Apple, HTC, Rim deem.
    I must say, though, after seeing Palm's new goodies, I can understand why they rejected Android.

IF they partner well with Google applications/features, though, it'd be awesome.

I WANT STREETVIEW !##$%@&^%$^!